Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi6 RBR750 and home networking

GreggCFO
Aspirant

Orbi6 RBR750 and home networking

I have the Orbi 6 system and a 2 story 5500 square foot home. I have the RBR750 router and an RBS750 satellite and also added the better RBS850 satellite. The units are spread throughout the house, but it seems that nearly every device I add links to the router, even when the device is within feet of a satellite but far from the router. I have 400/20 download/upload internet speeds from my cable modem, and it should always be fast but sometimes my devices due to the distance from the router, even though close to the satellites, get really slow like 20/10 and sometimes I lose the connection altogether. This happens all throughout my house and it is very frustrating. I wonder if there are admin settings that I should be changing. Also, my router is in my networking closet with the cable modem, a hub, and other devices and it is a closed small room.  

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi6 RBR750 and home networking

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Are the RBS wireless or wire connected to the RBR?

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 10
GreggCFO
Aspirant

The firmware is v4.6.5.14-all are up to date. You are suggesting that they should be more than 30 feet apart but the instructions and link say that they should be less than 30 feet apart, and they are less than 30 feet apart. All are wirelessly connected and in the orbi admin login it shows that backhaul status is "Good" and is using 5G. Looking at the attached devices, there are currently 58 attached devices: 53 attached to the router, 5 to the downstairs satellite and none attached to the upstairs satellite. The channels I am using are 11 for 2.4ghz and 44 for 5.0ghz. My cable modem is a Charter Spectrum model E31T2V1. I changed the wifi settings to 50% and will see what that does. So far, it looks like all of the attached devices are attached the same as they were before. Also if it helps, my preambles are set to Automatic and the CTS/RTS are both 2347. What else is strange is that on my PC orbi admin site I don't see my cell phone as a connected device but on the iphone app, it does show as connected to the router. This whole thing is frustrating.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBR and RBS should be at least 30 feet appart or more depending upon building materials. We've found that Orbi wifi radios are farily powerful so a signal unit can cover up to 30 feet with good signal. Users have posted that having a RBS out at 60 feet also works. Having the RBS too close to the RBR causes device connection confustion and too much wifi signal over lap between the RBR and RBS. There is a sweet spot. 

Message 4 of 10
GreggCFO
Aspirant

If I am going to move them farther apart, should i change the strength back to 100% from 50%?

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can do that as well. 

Message 6 of 10
GreggCFO
Aspirant

What does going from 100% to 50% do? I have moved the satellites farther away and it still seems like nearly everything is connecting to the router. Does going to 50% make devices connect to the router less and maybe find a closer satellite without weaking that backhaul between the router and satellites?

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

Also depends on the distance from the wifi devices to the RBR or RBS. It's up to the wifi devices to pick and choose where they connect too. Theres not much that we can do about that.

Message 8 of 10
GreggCFO
Aspirant

I am getting my better strength and it seems that my devices are connecting to my satellites more, but my tvs new samsungs, still sometimes when i turn them on are not connected and i hit check network and then it works. Is that normal or should i change a setting. Still using channels 11 and 44 and preamble 2347 and I have not reduced the router strength down from 100%. Thanks.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to ask Samsung about and see why there TVs are not connecting soon as they are turned on. 

Might try disabling AX mode on 2.4G and 5G and see if this helps the TVs any. 

Can try this as last resort:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-v...

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7