Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

OrbiRBR750 shows no internet and purple light on some devices but most devices work

scottpritchard
Aspirant

OrbiRBR750 shows no internet and purple light on some devices but most devices work

I have cable internet and upgraded the modem and went from 400mbs to 1gbs. When they upgraded, they changed the modem and the with the new modem I cannot turn off the wifi signal from that modem. The old modem I could, so I did.  Since the upgrade, my OrbiRBR750 will randomly turn purple and some devices (I'm trying to pinpoint which ones but it seems to be cell phones) will lose internet connection. i thought maybe there was a conflict between the two wifi signals. ISP says its not the modem causing the issues.  I purchased a Surfboard modem and plugged it in and the ISP configured it. there is no wifi from this new modem and it still is doing the same thing.  Not really sure where to go from here.  The orbi was purchased March 2021 so its not very old.  also, i noticed (when the ISP Modem/Router was connected) that when this happens on my cell phone, i will try to switch to the ISP wifi and it couldn't connect then it would connect back to the orbi and it would work again.  I don't know what is going on here.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: OrbiRBR750 shows no internet and purple light on some devices but most devices work

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

If your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Message 2 of 6
scottpritchard
Aspirant

Re: OrbiRBR750 shows no internet and purple light on some devices but most devices work

I will get all that information soon. But I noticed that its any devices connected to Wifi6. I turned off the AX connection and I'm going to test and see if that is what is disconnecting.

Message 3 of 6
iyang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @scottpritchard ,

What's connected devices had the issue ?

Can you share the connected devices' model name ?

Thanks.

Message 4 of 6
scottpritchard
Aspirant

Its been devices that use WIFI6 (mostly cell phone).  I disabled WIFI6 through the Orbi setup page and I haven't had a problem since.  Maybe there is an issue with the WIFI6 losing internet with 1 gig speeds?  IDK. I replaced the modem and it still had the issue so that's why I turned off WIFI6 or the AX settings. IDK

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7