Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Outdoor Satellite

wifiblues
Luminary

Outdoor Satellite

HELP!

does anyone know if the RBS50Yv2 in extender mode works with the RBK750?

the netgear hotline says no - but I thought I read on this board that the RBS50Yv2 does operate as an extender when in extender mode for the RBK750.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes if you load the extender mode FW on the RBSY. Orbi mode will not work with the Orbi AX system. 

Message 2 of 35
wifiblues
Luminary

thanks Furry -

i loaded the extender firmware through mywifiext.local.

the firmware is the recent firmware on the download section for the extender mode.

once it is uploaded to the RBS50Yv2, is there another step to take?

here is why i ask - on the Orbi App, after i click on satelite, it lists the RBS50Y as a connected device - it does not show up on the network map.  how do i know if it is acting as an extender? 

Message 3 of 35
wifiblues
Luminary

Hi all

any advice - I connected the RBS50Yv2 to my RBK750.  Set up is not in Orbi mode but extender mode.

Question is - does the RBS50Y operate as an extender - the RBS50 is showing up as a connected device under the Satellite but does not show up on the Orbi network map on the app.  

thanks...

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 4 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Correct, the RBSY operates as a Extender only. It will not operate in Orbi mode with wireless backaul due to the incompatibility of the AC and AX wifi in Orbi mode thus it will not appear as a satellite, rather just a device.

Message 5 of 35
wifiblues
Luminary

thank you Furry

I checked and as an extender using the RBK750 ax system, it does not pick up wifi clients.

my next thought is to buy a RBS750 satellite and keep it in a weather box outdoors.

with that in mind, how hot does the satellite get and do you think it can sit inside a plastic weather proof box?

Message 6 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure when you try to connect to the RBSY that you disable the mobile devices wifi radio, Then go near the RBSY and re-enable the wifi radio on the mobile device. It should connect to the RBSY. Mobile device pick and choose where they connect to and depending upon there "roaming" abilities, may not auto connect to the nearest signal even though you walked near one. They may remain connected at farther signal until you force them to disconnect and reconnect by disabling there wifi radios. 

I have seen others in the Orbi AC forum mention and post about using outside boxes for indoor RBS units. I have not inperson experience regarding this so I don't know how reliable it is. One needs to ensure that moisture doesn't get into the indoor RBS unit. These units are expensive and would not personally want to have anything happen to these units. Up to you though.  

Message 7 of 35
wifiblues
Luminary

I dislike the wifi stickiness on many wifi enabled devices.

totally agree with the expense of the satellites and willing to experiment with a used RBS750 instead of the RBSY.  

I will hope for the best!

thank you.

Message 8 of 35
wifiblues
Luminary

I have to add one more comment - the community board and the Netgear Orbi tech line have definite different opinions on the compatibility of the RBS50Yv2 and the RBK750.

the tech hot line does not consider the RBSY compatible and while the connection is as an added device, they still do not recommend it with the ax system.

They claim they are working on an outdoor unit that will be compatible with ax.

Message 9 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Some devices and roaming may not be handled well. Thats a device design issue on that level. 

Thanks for the info. 

Let us know how it goes if you decide to try the outdoor box and a RBS. 

Good Luck. 

Message 10 of 35
wifiblues
Luminary

My first RBS50Y v1 sat outside last year and got filled with water and it is rated for outdoor weather!  Fortunately, I was able to open it and dry it and it booted up.

for this experiment with the RBS750 as an outdoor satellite - my thought is to put it into a zip lock bag or wrapping it in plastic food wrap then putting it into a weather proof box.

Message 11 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

I've see other posts mention boxes similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/QILIPSU-Stainless-285x195x130mm-Waterproof-Electrical/dp/B08B5QN2LS/ref=sr_1_...

Something to check into and see. This was just a quick search on Amazon. I presume there maybe better solutions and maybe ones with clear front window for visiability. 

Message 12 of 35
wifiblues
Luminary

THANK YOU!

I have a SockitBox that i use for an extension cord and it is the dimensions fit for the RBS750.

makes sense to see if there is clear cover option.

Message 13 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru
wifiblues
Luminary

Been looking at the links - some of them don't seem to have access for wires.  Will keep searching though.

Message 15 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Check for ones that do, however check also for drill hole installation as well. Some may have ones where you have to drill someting and then use soem weatherproof cable gromets to help make a seal. I'm sure theres is something out there. 

Good Luck. 

Message 16 of 35
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

I would try something like this if it's large enough. Drill a hole in the side/bottom for the power cord then seal around the wire. These are absolutely waterproof. I've used them for expensive camera equipment on whitewater rafts.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-071691688037-16-Cup-Container-Clear/dp/B00YQ8JL70/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?...
Message 17 of 35
wifiblues
Luminary

I will take a look at your suggestion.

here is one that i found:

https://www.amazon.com/Weatherproof-Extension-Cord-Connection-Box/dp/B083L4WMVK/ref=psdc_495308_t2_B...

i read the RBS750 manual and the operating tempurature is 32 degrees to 104 degrees and the operating humidity maximum is 90%

if this works, i will def have to bring it in during the coldest months of winter.

Message 18 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

You have options. Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 35
wifiblues
Luminary

so far so good day 2 - i picked up a used RBS750 and put it in a weather proof box, wrapped in plastic - the only issue that concerns me is the thinness of the cord.  The outdoor RBSY cord is thicker than the RBS750 uses.

Message 20 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Id get a outdoor supporting extenstion power cable. They come in many lengths.

Keep the main power adapter box inside the weather proof box. 

Message 21 of 35
wifiblues
Luminary

thanks Furrye38

i have two weather proof boxes - one holds the RBS750 and the other holds the extenstion cord and RBS750 plug - it's the outside exposure of the cable cord that i am thinking about.  

i have to bring in the unit before the outside temps reach 32 degrees - 

Message 22 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

We'd have to see picures of how you have this...

Message 23 of 35
wifiblues
Luminary

to continue...

my RBS750 protected inside a weather proof box was working until the recent FW update.

now it is showing poor backhaul.

the distance from the RBR750 is large plus the RBS750 is outdoors.  

i do have a satellite indoors but closer than the router.

is it possible to sync for a stable connection to the satellite rather than the router?

Message 24 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

what happens if you do the power ON sequence? Power everything off. Then On with the RBR, you might set it's power output to 25% Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

Then power on the nearest RBS to the RBR. The power ON the RBS thats outside...this should connect to the RBS.

Message 25 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7