Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Placement considerations - interference from other electronic devices?

Johnatmh
Tutor

Placement considerations - interference from other electronic devices?

I just ordered a 3 "node" ORBI RBK753 system and thinking about where to place the two satellites.  Ideally I would like to place one in our family room directly behind our Samsung SmartTV and connect to the TV with a Wired connection. The second one I would like to place on a bookshelf within 2 feet of our Simplisafe Base Station. Is this a bad idea? Will placement near the Simplisafe Base Station create interference? Likewise will placing the other behind the TV cause interference or reduce the WIFI signal to other wireless devices?

Thank you in advance!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Mstrbig
Master

@Johnatmh wrote:

I just ordered a 3 "node" ORBI RBK753 system and thinking about where to place the two satellites.  Ideally I would like to place one in our family room directly behind our Samsung SmartTV and connect to the TV with a Wired connection. The second one I would like to place on a bookshelf within 2 feet of our Simplisafe Base Station. Is this a bad idea? Will placement near the Simplisafe Base Station create interference? Likewise will placing the other behind the TV cause interference or reduce the WIFI signal to other wireless devices?

Thank you in advance!

My personal 753 system is placed similar to what you are asking. Since this system is quite powerful, do not place the satellites too close to each other. Mine are a good 30+ feet apart. 

Regarding my setup, the RBR750 is on the top shelf of my AV rack 1 foot from a wired receiver, wired Android Box, wireless Blueray, wired camera monitor, 2 feet from my wireless TV and Amazon Echo. The second one is upstairs and the third is downstairs in an adjacent building. I have no interference or other issues whatsoever. All 3 nodes of my 753 system give me extremely fast connections with great WIFI coverage and speed. WIFI6 speeds are great as well on supported devices. 

You shouldn't have any interference issues with what you have suggested, providing your settings are correct and you choose WIFI channels with less traffic. 1,6 and 11 for 2.4Ghz are my choices as they are non overlapping. Regarding 5Ghz you can pretty much pick whatever you want. I'm on 48. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://https://https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

I recommend not placing the RBS or RBR behind any electronic devices. Upwards or to the side. 3-6 feet appart from other electronic devices is recommended. 

Message 2 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

@Johnatmh wrote:

Thank you in advance!

My personal 753 system is placed similar to what you are asking. Since this system is quite powerful, do not place the satellites too close to each other. Mine are a good 30+ feet apart. 

Regarding my setup, the RBR750 is on the top shelf of my AV rack 1 foot from a wired receiver, wired Android Box, wireless Blueray, wired camera monitor, 2 feet from my wireless TV and Amazon Echo. The second one is upstairs and the third is downstairs in an adjacent building. I have no interference or other issues whatsoever. All 3 nodes of my 753 system give me extremely fast connections with great WIFI coverage and speed. WIFI6 speeds are great as well on supported devices. 

You shouldn't have any interference issues with what you have suggested, providing your settings are correct and you choose WIFI channels with less traffic. 1,6 and 11 for 2.4Ghz are my choices as they are non overlapping. Regarding 5Ghz you can pretty much pick whatever you want. I'm on 48. 

Message 3 of 6
Johnatmh
Tutor

Thank you FURREYe38 and Mstrbig for your help. My home is a 2 story 5 bedroom and a little under 3400 square feet including a downstairs single level attached 650 square foot granny's unit on the side of the house that runs from the back to front of the house (this is counted as one of the bedrooms and is part of the 3400 square feet). A 3 car garage sits in front of the apartment and main house and is NOT included in the square footage. My objective is to completely cover the whole house, apartment and garage as well as the front and rear yards (which are relatively small - entire lot is about 7000 square feet) to also provide very good coverage for our RING doorbell and an external camera we want to place near the front of the garage. We may also add external cameras in the backyard as well. 

My Cable modem is located in an upstairs back corner bedroom on the side of the house that has the attached apartment on the first level (to the side and below this room where the RBR will go.) Since our family room with the SmartTV is directly below the room with the cable modem (where the RBR will be) and therefore only about 15 feet from the RBR, I've decided to change my plan to move one RBS to a front upstairs bedroom about 30 FT from the RBR  and the second RBS in our downstairs living room on the front side of the house which will be more than 30 feet from both the RBR and other RBS. This RBS in the living room is where the Simplisafe base station is. It sounds like from Mstrbigs exerience placing the RBS next too the Simplisafe base station should not be a problem, but I do have the option of moving the Simplisafe to another book shelf about 8 feet away if that would be better. 

Thanks again for your input and suggestions!

Message 4 of 6
Johnatmh
Tutor

Just reporting that I did install the ORBI as I discribed in my previous reply and the performance is exceptional - Download speeds consistently exceeding 100Mbps everywhere. I'm very pleased. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy,

Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7