Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Please Help! Wifi speeds on Orbi Satellites Slow

bpitts69
Aspirant

Please Help! Wifi speeds on Orbi Satellites Slow

Need advice on really slow wifi speeds on Orbi satellites.  Already had internet provider out to confirm everything working correctly and speeds at router are above 900mb/s consistently.  In parts of home where I have to access the satellites speeds frequently max out at 35mb/s.  Home is 4500 SF.  Router is placed centrally with 3 RBS750 satellites within 35 feet of router.  Firmware is updated to latest version.  What settings can I change. Using 2021 Macs, Ipads(8th and 9th generation), and Iphone 13.  

I know very little about this stuff, but there must be a problem between the router and all 3 satellites if it is only affecting the speeds on the satellites.  Thx in advance for any help you can give me.  Attached is current speed test from one of the satellites.

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try turning off ALL RBS. Does the speed drop when only the RBR being on?

Try turning OFF 2 RBS. Does the speed drop?

@bpitts69 wrote:

Thanks for your response.  Answer to questions:

1.Firmware is V4.6.5.14

2.Multi-Level Home: Router placed centrally on first floor with 3 satellites, including one upstairs.

3.I changed 5GHZ from auto to 48 and 2.4GHZ to 1.

Update: Slow wifi speeds are less frequent.  Now happening a couple of times/day.  Max speeds decreases from above 500 to 35-40.  

Anything else I can try?

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 17

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Is the home single or multi level home? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed
https://kb.netgear.com/31211/At-what-speed-and-bandwidth-can-my-Orbi-system-transmit-data

What speeds do you see with a ethernet PC connected to the RBR? 

Turn OFF The RBS and test with wireless devices connected to the RBR first off. 

Message 2 of 17
SureFoot
Aspirant

Similar problem here--except it's the entire mesh, not just the satelites, that are showing lower-than-expected wifi bandwidth.  Copied from my original post on the "general Orbi" forum:

I've got a new Orbi RBR750, 2 satelites.  Was previously connected to Comcast internet, speeds of somewhere around 300 Mb (can't recall exactly).  Wifi devices connecting to the Orbi were getting around 200 Mb.  Just upgraded our internet to 1GB fiber.  The orbi's self-speed test is seeing just shy of 1 GB, upload & download (it's connected to an Adtran device, dont' know the model).  I've got a PC connected via Cat6 cable, which gets about 500-600 Mb/s download & upload.  My 5G devices get from 100-200 Mb/s download, and faster upload (about double it's download 'score') while I'm in the same room as the main router, with excellent connectivity.  I have already rebooted the Orbi main router, as well as checked for firmware update--no update available (v4.6.5.14).  Any thoughts on why my device speed isn't faster?  With 3 or 4 wireless devices + the wired PC, NOT currently streaming anything, I was expecting at least 500 Mb/s on my wireless devices.  Is that an unrealistic expectation?  Is there any way to increase the speeds I'm seeing?

Message 3 of 17
bpitts69
Aspirant

1.Firmware is V4.6.5.14

2.Multi-Level Home: Router placed centrally on first floor with 3 satellites, including one upstairs.

Update: Slow wifi speeds are less frequent.  Now happening a couple of times/day.  Max speeds decreases from above 500 to 35-40.  

Anything else I can try?

Message 4 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@bpitts69 wrote:

1.Firmware is V4.6.5.14

Anything else I can try?

Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you start a NEW post and give us some details and start posting in this new post thread. 

You can start at the beginning if you want to and we'll go from there.

@Yashur21 wrote:

So is Firmware iV4.6.5.14 ok?

seems it cause problems but no solution 

Message 6 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Forum support is FREE. Just post. 

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 17
bpitts69
Aspirant

Awesome thank you I think it worked!

Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@bpitts69 wrote:

Message 10 of 17
claudiut
Apprentice

Firmware 4.6.5.14 is garbage. Look around the form to see how many people have issues with this version. Issues with this firmware are very diverse: satellites disconnecting randomly throughout the day, slow speeds, 2.4Ghz AX causing massive stability issues, etc.

If you still can I would recommend returning the equipment and buy a different brand. I'm reading others have good results with Asus XT8.

If you can't return you are out of luck and the only thing to do while waiting for NG to fix the firmware is to try changing settings (you have to search the forum to see what others have tried) and see what works for you. It seems that everyone has different results for same settings, which speaks a ton about the quality of this firmware.

@FURRYe38: since your Netgear colleagues are so busy fixing the firmware, why don't you summarize all the settings people should try and post them in a separate thread. At least that would be good use of your time instead of asking your broken record questions.

@bpitts69 wrote:

1.Firmware is V4.6.5.14

Anything else I can try?

Message 11 of 17
SureFoot
Aspirant

deleted--question answered

Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Still working? Just curious.

@bpitts69 wrote:

Message 13 of 17
bpitts69
Aspirant

Yes still working!

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome. Glad it's working. 

Enjoy and Merry Christmas. 🎄

Message 15 of 17
SureFoot
Aspirant

I'm still having slow (sub-200 Mbs) speeds on my 5G devices.  I've tried changing various settings, including all settings suggested on this thread.  Any other thoughts?  (I have not yet tried shutting off all sattelites, but I suppose that's easy to try...)

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

@SureFoot wrote:

I'm still having slow (sub-200 Mbs) speeds on my 5G devices.  I've tried changing various settings, including all settings suggested on this thread.  Any other thoughts?  (I have not yet tried shutting off all sattelites, but I suppose that's easy to try...)

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7