Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Port forwarding stopped working on RBR750

onlize
Aspirant

Port forwarding stopped working on RBR750

Hello, I have an Orbi RBR750 with the latest firmware V4.6.5.14_2.0.54.

Hi, I have a problem with port forwarding. It used to work but stopped working. I did not change anything, and I am not sure why this happened.

I have two internal servers with different ports that I have to be able to access from outside of my network. I have two forwarding rules configured, but I cannot reach either one of my servers anymore. Can you help me with this?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Port forwarding stopped working on RBR750

Glad you figured it out. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Good Luck. 📡

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Port forwarding typically relies on two concepts:

• Dynamic DNS.  Because most customers are assigned IP addresses that may be changed by the ISP (without notice) at any time, it is customary to use a DDNS service to set up an internet name that will automatically update to the new IP address.  Orbi supports only a couple of DDNS services (noip.com, dyn.com).  If somehow the DDNS service is no longer correct, then they will not map correctly.
  • Hosts being open to accept connections.

How about double-checking:

• That the ports are open to the internet by using one of the common testing web sites, such as https://www.grc.com/shieldsup 
  • Also verify that the public IP address reported by the web test matches what the IP address that is current in the DDNS service.
Message 2 of 10
onlize
Aspirant

Hello, thank you for your reply.

Ports are opened and listening. I can telnet to both servers internally, but I cannot connect when I am outside of my network.

I tried to connect using the ddns service and the public IP address that I see in my Orbi control panel. I have the same results. No connections.

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Open and listening is reported by a web site?

Message 4 of 10
onlize
Aspirant

Yes, I used it for years, with a previous router and Orbi. It stopped working during the last couple of months. I do not use it outside too often, so I am unsure when it stopped.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Any new changes on the Orbi system in last couple of months? When was FW last updated? 

If nothing was changes on the Orbi system, possible a ISP issue. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 6 of 10
onlize
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.

I use NETGEAR Cable Modem CM1000.

I did not change anything major on my router for some time now. Maybe I added a couple of IP reservations for some of my new devices.

I followed your advice to unplug the modem and router and started as you recommended, but it did not help.

Message 7 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

This is hard to get my head around:

• The two servers are on the Orbi Attached Devices page with the desired LAN IP addresses (that the ports are forwarded to).
  • The two servers will accept a telnet connection from the LAN.
  • The Orbi shows two ports being forwarded from the internet to specific ports on those two servers.
  • The two servers accept connections on those ports from the LAN.
  • Shield's Up! shows that those two ports are open to the internet.
  • Yet, when a device outside the LAN attempts to connect to the public IP on one of those ports, "nothing happens".

Would you mind sharing which ports are being forwarded and what type of server they are (generically: Windows, Linux??... HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, media, telnet??)

How is the situation being tested?  (When I set up port forwarding, I typically drop the WiFi connection on my phone, start the phone's WiFi Hot Spot feature, connect a laptop to the phone, and perform tests.)

Message 8 of 10
onlize
Aspirant

Thank you for all your help. It was my mistake. It looks like location where I am now block ports that I am trying to use. When I tested it with my phone without any Wi-Fi, everything works.

Thank you everyone for all your help!

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you figured it out. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Good Luck. 📡

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7