Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Pro Support for Home

Biyahero
Apprentice

Pro Support for Home

I purchased an AX4200 RBK753S-100NAS recently (which this system won't let me put in as the Model ???), and as soon as I hooked it up and (finally got it to function) I purchase Pro Support for Home Extended Warranty and Support.  It was my understanding that this product came with 90 days of Complementary Support, but I notice that the expiration date of my Pro Support is two years from the registration/activation date of my Orbi unit. 

Should I have waited until the 90 days were almost up before purchasing this plan to get an extra 90 days of coverage?

Also the advertising for you to purchase this product says "Starting as Low As $ 49.99 for the first two years" but I paid $ 83.59.  Is that because different models have different prices?

Aside from that, an issue that caused me many hours of problems might be worth mentioning in hopes of helping someone else avoid what happened to me.

The modem (Spectrum Model:  ET2251 DOCSIS 3.1 eMTA... unlabelled but their rep says it is a Technicolor or a Technicolor-Cisco) seemed to work fine, and the first of many time I called them that night they said it was partially installed ... later the insisted it was fully installed and working fine.  The Orbi at first didn't seem to want to function at all (using the Orbi app on my iPhone since my MacBook Pro had no Ethernet Port).  Eventually after trying many many times and following ALL of the suggestions of the Orbi app multiple times without success finally the Orbi WiFi app did function (sort of).  My iPhone and my MacBook Pro both showed that they were connected to the Orbi WiFI connection BUT the Orbi WiFi was not connected to the Internet!

Finally I discovered that on my iPhone was a  monthly-paid AT&T app from the App Store called "ATT Mobile Security" which creates a VPN on the phone.  As soon as I turned off the VPN the Orbi WiFI network connected to the Modem and the internet and worked fine! Subsequently when the ATT Mobile Security app is back on, which seemingly happens when the phone is restarted, the Orbi WiFi assigns an Private IP address to the VPN on the phone and the Orbi WiFi network continues to operate super good.

So perhaps AT&T users would benefit from Netgear adding instructions to the Orbi installation notes suggesting that ATT Mobile Security be disabled during the installation process of the Orbi.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

I personally don't use Armor or BD. I help test those applications out when requested by NG on occasion. Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Armor product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Armor and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor
https://www.netgear.com/landings/armor
Good Luck.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact NG support about. 

@Blanca_O 

ATT security is a separate app and not related to NG. Something to contact ATT about. 

Message 2 of 9
Biyahero
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

> Something to contact NG support about. 

Agreed! That is what I was trying to do with that message....

I'll try another way.

@Blanca_O 

>ATT security is a separate app and not related to NG. Something to contact ATT about. 

Why would ATT care about the fact that the Netgear Orbi App on your iPhone won't run properly to set up the Orbi Network when ATT Security is running on your iPhone?

I can't imagine why AT&T would (or should) care.  I believe it is a Netgear problem not an ATT Problem. If NG wants to avoid more support calls and mad customers and/or returned devices I would imagine NG would want to warn customers that this might happen just as  they suggest other possible solutions in troubleshooting.

It was for that reason I pointed out that this happened, so NG would know.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Because ATT app is a 3rd party app thats not used by most Orbi users and is a end user app. Orbi setup is mostly based on not using any VPN connections during setup. NG mostly assumes that users are directly connected to there ISP services with out any VPN configurations. VPN is mostly an after the fact kind of thing or specialized configurations. Again, someting that is an ISP specific thing. Nothing to do with Orbi. 

Message 4 of 9
Biyahero
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

> Because ATT app is a 3rd party app thats not used by most Orbi users and is a

> end user app. Orbi setup is mostly based on not using any VPN connections during > setup. NG mostly assumes that users are directly connected to there ISP services > with out any VPN configurations. VPN is mostly an after the fact kind of thing or

> specialized configurations. Again, someting that is an ISP specific thing. Nothing to > do with Orbi. 

I agree you're right again! My point in bringing it up was that if NG cares about their customer's success in installing their products they might want to warn them to turn off any VPN's they might have just like they tell the customers to make sure they no VPN's running (I for example didn't know I had a VPN until I was rooting around the settings when the Orbi installation didn't work) just like the NG installation process tells the customers to make sure Local Files are enabled.

While we are on the subject of VPN's, now while I have been trying to understand the "NetGear Armor" and "Bitdefender" stuff that NG is promoting, it appears that they want to get you to install yet another VPN ... "VPN for NetGear Armor (by Bitdefender)" (and that one after installation they try to sell you an upgrade to "Premium" for $ 49.99 per year, so now you can have warring VPN's fighting each other.

The Bitdefender program that seems to be included with or a part of NetGear Armor "BitDefender for NetGear Armor" keeps telling one to install it to be more secure but even after you do install it the messages continue to tell you to "Click Here to Install" even though you already have, which I find annoying and at least for me it makes the process confusing!

I did install the BItDefender AntiVIrus for Mac that seemed to be promoted by the NetGear site or Orbi app, and that does seem to be a pretty thorough AntiVirus, but then it recommends for you to install yet another Bitdefender VPN (see attached file) but at least it apparently senses there are other VPNs already installed and does not respond when you try to install it, or doesn't install for whatever other reason.

Message 5 of 9
Biyahero
Apprentice

@Biyahero wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

> Because ATT app is a 3rd party app thats not used by most Orbi users and is a

> end user app. Orbi setup is mostly based on not using any VPN connections during > setup. NG mostly assumes that users are directly connected to there ISP services > with out any VPN configurations. VPN is mostly an after the fact kind of thing or

> specialized configurations. Again, someting that is an ISP specific thing. Nothing to > do with Orbi. 

I agree you're right again! My point in bringing it up was that if NG cares about their customer's success in installing their products they might want to warn them to turn off any VPN's they might have just like they tell the customers to make sure Edited sorry my typo [Local File Access is enabled] (I for example didn't know I had a VPN until I was rooting around the settings when the Orbi installation didn't work) just like the NG installation process tells the customers to make sure Local Files are enabled.

While we are on the subject of VPN's, now while I have been trying to understand the "NetGear Armor" and "Bitdefender" stuff that NG is promoting, it appears that they want to get you to install yet another VPN ... "VPN for NetGear Armor (by Bitdefender)" (and that one after installation they try to sell you an upgrade to "Premium" for $ 49.99 per year, so now you can have warring VPN's fighting each other.

The Bitdefender program that seems to be included with or a part of NetGear Armor "BitDefender for NetGear Armor" keeps telling one to install it to be more secure but even after you do install it the messages continue to tell you to "Click Here to Install" even though you already have, which I find annoying and at least for me it makes the process confusing!

I did install the BItDefender AntiVIrus for Mac that seemed to be promoted by the NetGear site or Orbi app, and that does seem to be a pretty thorough AntiVirus, but then it recommends for you to install yet another Bitdefender VPN (see attached file) but at least it apparently senses there are other VPNs already installed and does not respond when you try to install it, or doesn't install for whatever other reason.

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I personally don't use Armor or BD. I help test those applications out when requested by NG on occasion. Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Armor product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Armor and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
Good Luck.

Message 7 of 9
Biyahero
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Good Luck.

Thank you FURRYe38

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats