Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Probelems with Router Satellit connection - RBK350

michaelsam
Aspirant

Probelems with Router Satellit connection - RBK350

!!! ORBI RBK350 !!! - Category is not available

I am living in a big city in a flat, and there are many flats around with many 2,4Ghz WLAN Connections.

So my Satellit always looses connection.

I realy urgend need a button to set Router to Satellite Connection to use always 5Ghz.

Else i can't use this Model in future and will have to send it back, cause it is unuseable for me !!

So pls integrate such button as soon as possible in your firmware !!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Please visit and post about this over in the Orbi AX forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@michaelsam wrote:

!!! ORBI RBK350 !!! - Category is not available

I am living in a big city in a flat, and there are many flats around with many 2,4Ghz WLAN Connections.

So my Satellit always looses connection.

I realy urgend need a button to set Router to Satellite Connection to use always 5Ghz.

Else i can't use this Model in future and will have to send it back, cause it is unuseable for me !!

Yes, Netgear put the 'package' part numbers in the drop down list, but not the router itself.  The default connection between router and satellites is 5G.  This model is a "Dual Band" unit, where the user 5G devices and the backhaul both use the same 5G channel.  The User Manual shows that the 5G channel is set to 157 in NA and PR and to 108 in the rest of the world, including Japan.(see page 130)

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK352/RBK352_RBK353_UM_EN.pdf 

If the Orbi web interface Attached Devices page shows a satellite connected to the router at 2.4G, that is an indication that the 5G signal between them is not strong enough.  Is it possible to move the satellites a bit closer to the router until the connection changes to 5G on the Attached Devices page?

Message 3 of 9
michaelsam
Aspirant

The Problem isn't the users Device, cause it is set to always use the 5Ghz connection in the Driver Properties in Windows.

Also tried before to use Auto, didn't work also.

Before the Mesh Routers i had a TP Link Router and an TP Link Extender, and was always connected to the 5Ghz Band and never had problmes with that. But the Extender got broken and like the Router it was also not MIMU able.

The Problem i have is, that always when the Computer loses Connection to the Internet the Satellite is connected with 2,4 Ghz to the Router.

Also tried to change position of the Satellite and didn't change anything.

There are just about 3 meters between Router and Satellite, but there are two big reinforcedconcrete walls. This is the reason why i need this two routers in my 100 sq.m. Flat.

I know that it would be possible to turn off 2,4Ghz at all, but i have a Printer, which doesn't have that 5Ghz Band.

The Problem is that always my Kids are affected during school Lessons at home when such problemm apears. So i need as soon as possible a solution for that.

Message 4 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@michaelsam wrote:

Also tried to change position of the Satellite and didn't change anything.

There are just about 3 meters between Router and Satellite, but there are two big reinforcedconcrete walls. This is the reason why i need this two routers in my 100 sq.m. Flat.

Does the satellite ever connect to the router at 5G?

It  could be that two walls reduce the 5G signal so much that the Orbi switches to a 2.4G backhaul.

Can you experiment with moving the satellite so that the backhaul signal has to penetrate only one wall and the PC connection has to penetrate one wall? (see attached drawing)

My understanding is that it is not possible to turn off the 2.4G WiFi on Orbi products. Aside from the printer issue, I fear that having no 2.4G WiFi would mean that the satellite will not connect to the router at all.

Do you remember what the WiFi link was between the TP link router and satellite?  Was it 5G or 2.4G?

Message 5 of 9
michaelsam
Aspirant

thx for reply

yes it most the time connects with 5Ghz

and the TP link was permanently set to 5Ghz connection between router and extender

moved already the satellit to the hall, means the room between the two big walls and living- and kidsroom,

also with anotther mesh product, i tried this already, didn't change anything.

Message 6 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@michaelsam wrote:

thx for reply

yes it most the time connects with 5Ghz

and the TP link was permanently set to 5Ghz connection between router and extender

It is a mystery to me as to what could cause the 5G backhaul link to change from "ok" to so poor that the Orbi would change to the backup 2.4G channel.  Unless someone else has an idea, this Orbi product appears to be unsuitable.

Message 7 of 9
michaelsam
Aspirant

found a solution for me, send this product back and by a triband mesh system which connects always with 5ghz

but not this brand, cause to expensive for me and no free parental control, with eg. extra timelimit for each kid

Message 8 of 9
michaelsam
Aspirant

bought triband router, different brand, same problem, so now found out, problem is Lenovo AMD Notebook with RTL8822BE WLAN.
But now have parental control (User Profiles) again FOR FREE and can control Kids online Time and block them for specific sites and categories. Also nice feature, with i missed on Orbi was to manage offiline Devices, block them, delete them.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7