Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Question on Link Aggregation benefits

donawalt
Virtuoso

Question on Link Aggregation benefits

HI all, I am thinking about setting up Link Aggregation between AX6000/RBK852 and CM1100 on a 1 Gb Comcast line. I have done a lot of reading, but there is one thing I am still confused about. The CM1100 has 2 ethernet ports that can be passed into the RBR850 router, yet the CM1100 is pulling data on just one 1 GB line from Comcast.

So if I get ~ 940 Mb/s on the Comcast line, does Link Aggregation cause more than the 940 Mb/s to be pulled, or (more likely I think) is it that a single device won't get any faster performance with or without Link Aggregation, but multiple devices will in aggregate get more performance in Mb/s compared to the same system set up without Link Aggregation? In other words it enhances bandwith to a group of devices (effectively giving each device higher performance due to less data contention), it doesn't offer any higher performance to a single device if running by itself?

Thanks for confirming this or setting me straight!

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Potentially it'll let the router have access to >1gig speeds if your isp overprovisions you.

But since the ports are just 1 gig for the other devices hardwired in, they won't get any faster speed. 

But it'll allow an aggregate speed of faster than a gig (multiple devices combined) again if you're overprovisioned. 

some people have had instability running port aggregation. I struggled with stability running port aggregation using a cm1100 and an arris sb8200 so it wasn't worth it as rarely do you need speeds in excess of 1 gig. 

But again, that was only some people. Others it works fine for. all you can do is try it and see how well it works for you. 

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 3 of 4
donawalt
Virtuoso

Thank you @plemans !!!!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats