Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK 752 - VLAN requirements from ISP

Lancastrian
Aspirant

RBK 752 - VLAN requirements from ISP

Apologies if someone else has posted this question previously, and apologies for my dreadful lack of knowledge. Although I'm computer literate, the details of networking are a bit of a mystery to me!

I've just bought an RBK752 so that I can improve the wifi signal strength throughout my home, and in anticipation of changing my ISP to go full fibre rather than FTTC. 

The ISP that I'm considering has a condition that states: "You must use a VLAN setting of 911." I'm a bit confused by that as it is a new term to me. I've looked at the RBK752 user manual and there are a couple of references to VLAN, both mentioning a bridge and either port group or tag group - again, I don't really understand what I'm reading.

My question is simple: can I give the ISP what they require in terms of a VLAN ID, and how do I do it?

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Lancastrian
Aspirant

Re: RBK 752 - VLAN requirements from ISP

Thanks for the info.

The ISP normally supplies a router, but it is apparently not so good. They do allow use of customer's own router but will not provide support for it. I'm sure they will supply all the necessary VLAN settings when asked.

My real question was whether or not the RBK752 supports ISP-side VLANs and it appears the answer is yes!

Thanks once again

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

IF your ISP has that requirement then they will have all the details on how to set it up.

I presume it maybe similar to this:

https://kb.netgear.com/000038853/How-do-I-set-up-a-bridge-for-a-VLAN-tag-group-for-my-Orbi-WiFi-Syst...

https://kb.netgear.com/25724/VLAN-tagging-setup-for-Nighthawk-router

Thought you may be located else where.

Contact the ISP and have them help you with this. 

Message 2 of 4
Lancastrian
Aspirant

Thanks for the info.

The ISP normally supplies a router, but it is apparently not so good. They do allow use of customer's own router but will not provide support for it. I'm sure they will supply all the necessary VLAN settings when asked.

My real question was whether or not the RBK752 supports ISP-side VLANs and it appears the answer is yes!

Thanks once again

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation