Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK 753 Continued Dropouts After Factory Reset

tucsontico
Virtuoso

RBK 753 Continued Dropouts After Factory Reset

I upgraded to the ORBI RBK753 about 1 year ago. Overall it was stable and worked well in my environment. Unfortunately, the current firmware (4.6.8.2) has made my system unusable. I've done all of the work-around steps outlined by many threads, including reloading the firmware via ethernet connections, factory resetting each device, and reconfiguring from scratch.

After these work-around steps, the system appears normal but within 8-12 hours it drops connection with the internet and reboots. After the reboot my satellites are on different 2.4 GHz channels from the router and the guest network is enabled on the sats–even though the router shows the guest network disabled. This causes my security cams to drop out and therefore becomes a critical failure for my environment. Unless there's something I missed, I'm no longer willing to spend an hour each day messing with obviously bad firmware. Moving to another system this weekend.😧 

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand. I'm tracking same on the 8 series as well. Caught it last night with just the RBR online, RBS OFF and managed to get a debug log afterwards. 

I passed this on to NG. It's in there hands. 

Good Luck on your next system. 

Message 2 of 7
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Appreciate the response. Pretty sure I wasn't the only one with this bug(s). Based on slow responses from Netgear, I doubt there will be a fix before I've moved on to a new system.

BTW, I've already tried an Asus XT8 mesh and the throughput was so poor in my environment I sent it back after 1 week in service. That's when I did all the troubleshooting/workarounds for my Orbi. Going to try a Linksys Velop next. Setting these up from scratch is a bit painful but I need reliable coverage for IoT/Security Cams.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@tucsontico 

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Bump...

Message 5 of 7
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Purposely delayed answering this message to allow me to test several workarounds completely.  Here's the story: After posting the message regarding changing to a Linksys Velop, I bought a Velop AX8000 system and installed it in the exact same locations as my Orbi router and 2 sats. It was stable–no internet or WiFi dropouts–but did not have the same signal strength in my environment as the Orbi. After 3 days it began to have widely variable throughput not associated with device demands. For example, doing a WiFI test 8 feet from the router, I'd get 500+Mbps, then 2 minutes later in the exact same position, I'd get 40Mbps! These varying speeds repeated throughout my house for no apparent reason. Unfortunately, there is no good source for help with the Velop like this forum for Orbi. (It was discontinued by Linksys.) I then learned about the "Email Log Anomaly Workaround" for the current firmware mess.

I disconnected my Velop and reinstalled the Orbi with a fresh manual download of firmware V4.6.8.2, factory reset and reconfigured from a backup file. I setup an email for receiving the log files 6 days ago. Since doing all that my Orbi has been rock solid with no dropouts and strong signal strength throughout my property. I pay for 900/20 (Down/Up) Mbps. My ethernet connected iMac gets 920/25 Mbps and 6 feet from the router I get 750/20 Mbps on my iPhone 13 (Yeah, I have mostly an Apple ecosystem). WiFi speeds at 8 feet from the first daisy-chained sat are 700/20 Mbps. Speeds at 8 feet from the second sat are 400/20 Mbps. These numbers are 100-200 Mbps faster than the Velop. (BTW, my house is about 3000 sq ft with concrete block/stucco construction and the second sat is in my attached garage where the signal must pass from the first sat through two drywall/stud walls and 1 concrete block/stucco wall.)

So, the rest of the story: I have had 6 days 18 hours of up time with the Orbi using the email log workaround. I am happy to continue using this until Netgear posts a better solution. I will be returning the Velop this weekend.

Excuse the long post but I believe it answers lots of questions.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for the details. Glad the email seem to be helping keep the system online. We have made NG aware of what we are seeing with and without Emails being enabled. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7