Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK-852 with Comcast 1200GB Internet

Ely
Luminary
Luminary

RBK-852 with Comcast 1200GB Internet

Hello everyone, 

I just purchased an RBK-852 (AX600) and I'm having so many issues setting it up.

I have my Orbi connected to an ARRIS - SURFboard S33 Modem this modem has one 2.5GB ethernet port and another 1GB ethernet port. If I connect my computer directly to the 2.5GB Ethernet port, I get full 1200+Mbps speeds when I do speed tests. I tried that and then connected my Orbi to the other 1GB ethernet port, but when I do that the Orbi cannot connect to the internet.

So I had to connect the Orbi to the 2.5GB Ethernet and them my PC normally to one of the Orbi ports. that also works, but then I do't get anything above 940Mbps in the speed tests.

I see the Orbi has something called connection agregation or something like that, but I'm not sure how that all works or if this would help at all.

I don't care if all my other devices only get 1000Mbps as none is able to get anything above that, but my PC network card has a 10GB Ethernet port and I want get advantage of that. How do I go about getting full 12000+Mbps in my PC while still allowing the Orbi to connect? 

Will the Orbi be able to get a connection If I purchase a 10GB Switch and then connect that swith to the modem's 2.5GB port then connect the Orbi and PC to its ethernet ports?

Any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance.

-Eli

Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK-852 with Comcast 1200GB Internet

@Ely wrote:

So I had to connect the Orbi to the 2.5GB Ethernet and them my PC normally to one of the Orbi ports. that also works, but then I do't get anything above 940Mbps in the speed tests.

This is correct.  The modem and Orbi both have 2.5G ethernet ports, which means the modem can deliver 2.5G to the Orbi.  Because the Orbi has only gigabit LAN ports, the maximum speed that can be achieved  on any device connected to the Orbi is 1GM. (In practical terms, it is impossible to achieve 1GB. 940MB sounds about right.  So what happens to the other 400mb?  It is available to other devices connected to the Orbi, either via ethernet or WiFi.

@Ely wrote:

HWill the Orbi be able to get a connection If I purchase a 10GB Switch and then connect that swith to the modem's 2.5GB port then connect the Orbi and PC to its ethernet ports?

Never. The modem can connect to only one device.  It can associate the public IP address with only one ethernet MAC address.  The WAN (yellow) Orbi port must be connected directly to the modem.

Perhaps there is a WiFi router out there somewhere that has both 2.5GB WAN port and 2.5G LAN port, but it is certainly not the Orbi.

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry about the typo.  1,200MB less 1000MB - 200MB left for other devices (not 400)

Message 3 of 9
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

@CrimpOn wrote:

Never. The modem can connect to only one device.  It can associate the public IP address with only one ethernet MAC address.  The WAN (yellow) Orbi port must be connected directly to the modem.

Perhaps there is a WiFi router out there somewhere that has both 2.5GB WAN port and 2.5G LAN port, but it is certainly not the Orbi.

Thanks a lot for your help, I understand what you explained and it makes perfect sense. However this modem has two ethernet ports (which means it can provide two diferent IPs) According to the manufacturer's help page here, they say the following:

>>>>It is possible to connect two devices to the S33.  However, the cable provider must provide an Internet IP Address to each device for Internet access.  If both devices cannot connect to the Internet, contact the cable provider to request an additional Internet IP address.

I tried calling Comcast to see if they can provide me with a second IP address and after almost 2 hours nobody seems to know what I'm talking about and then the call got dropped. Really frustrating. 😞   I puchased this modem and router because Comcast sent me an e-mail saying I should get a new modem in order to get the new fast speeds of above 1Gb that they are now offering to customers to subscribe to internet package I have.

If anybody else has any other ideas, I would appreciate the help.

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

The ISP has to provide the IP addressing to modems with 1 or more WAN ports. 

You could see above 1000Mpbs speeds if the ISP provides that speed thru the modem and at the 2.5Gb WAN port. 

If you have a AX supporting wifi devices that supports up to 2400Mpbs on 5Ghz AX, then you should see near 1200Mpbs on the download thru the RBR850 and modem. 

However you'll never see much over 900Mpbs on the LAN ports thru the RBR as they are only rated at 1000Mpbs. 

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 5 of 9
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The ISP has to provide the IP addressing to modems with 1 or more WAN ports. 

You could see above 1000Mpbs speeds if the ISP provides that speed thru the modem and at the 2.5Gb WAN port. 

If you have a AX supporting wifi devices that supports up to 2400Mpbs on 5Ghz AX, then you should see near 1200Mpbs on the download thru the RBR850 and modem. 

However you'll never see much over 900Mpbs on the LAN ports thru the RBR as they are only rated at 1000Mpbs. 

Thanks for that information, I didn't realize that part about wireless AX devices getting above 1000Mbps over Wi-Fi, perhaps another way for me to make this work then would be to purchase a new AX wireless card and connnect the main PC wirelessly that way, though I rather find a way to make it work with cable as it is always a more stable connection.

I'll ask the question on the forum you suggested, I appologize for posting in the wrong area, this forum is pretty big and this is the sub forum I thought would be the best to post about my situation.

I also found another possible solution: I could get the SB82000 modem which has two 2.5GB Ports as well and supports Link aggregation with a router which supports it (Which my Orbi does) It seems some people has gotten both ports on that modem to work that way with Comcast. But I would need to try it myself and see. Only 1 of the ethernet ports on my current modem supports 2.5GB, So if I could get it to work on that modem it would better I guess because I wouldn't be limitting the Orbi to the other port in this modem which is only 1GB.

Thanks again for your help.

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I also have NGs CM1100 and 1200 with multiple ports. My ISP offers different IPs on each modem those the WAN port speed on these are only at 1000Mpbs. However I do get near 900Mpbs on the wire.

Again you'd be able to get past 1000Mbps on wifi. However the LAN side is limited by the 1000Mpbs so you'll not see anything much over 900Mpbs on the RBRs LAN side. 

Message 7 of 9
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

@FURRYe38 Once again, thank you. I have contacted Comcast through their forum (because their customer service reps. had no idea what I'm talking about when I call them about getting a second IP) I'll wait and see where I can get with this.

Again what you say makes sense, It seems that unless I mange to get another IP from Comcast, I will not be able to make any aditional LAN ports on any modem work. My only option then would be getting a Wireless AX Network Card. I have seen several that look pretty good on Amazon.

I'm still open to suggestions from anyone here who have gone through this.

Greetings!

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation