Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK353 daisy chain setup

P92s
Guide

RBK353 daisy chain setup

Hi there, I'm in the process of changing the configuration of my home wireless to an L shaped form along a corridor with walls on the sides where 2 room are located Wifi should reach the two rooms . I'm thinking to buy a RBK353 and to position the Orbi router close to the ISP modem router (switched off wifi)in AP mode wifi connected to the first satellite which would be wifi connected then to the second satellite. So basically a Daisy Chain configuration: Router->RBS1->RBS2.
I checked the RBK353 manual about the Daisy Chain configuration but there's no trace of this set-up.
I'm wondering if this is an available mode of operation and how (if any) it might be set-up.
Thank you 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

With the new AX systems, its automatic.

I would recommend though, if you plan on daisy chaining, the tribands are a better option than the dual band systems. The dedicated backhauls allow lower latency and higher speeds. (unless you're hardwiring in the satellites, then it doesn't matter)

If the tribands aren't an option, I'd try to centrally locate the router to prevent daisy chaining. 

Not saying you can't daisy chain with it but the end of the chain ends up with much lower speeds and higher latency. 

Message 2 of 10
P92s
Guide

@plemans wrote:

With the new AX systems, its automatic.

I would recommend though, if you plan on daisy chaining, the tribands are a better option than the dual band systems. The dedicated backhauls allow lower latency and higher speeds. (unless you're hardwiring in the satellites, then it doesn't matter)

If the tribands aren't an option, I'd try to centrally locate the router to prevent daisy chaining. 

Not saying you can't daisy chain with it but the end of the chain ends up with much lower speeds and higher latency. 

Thank you for your answer.

So that's why there is no mention in the user manual; may be a few words about it would help ......

Unofrtunately I can't hardwire, ducts are fully loaded.  The system I'm planning is with RBK352 that I understand is a triband so I should not loose too much speed and latency. I suppose I might loose some as the connection and backhauls are wi fi, not wired. Distance is about 30 feet for RBR to RBS1 with two light brick walls in between and 15 feet for RBS1 to RBS2 one light brick wall.  

Any idea of the potential loss?

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

the rbk352 is dual band and not triband. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK352.aspx

Message 4 of 10
P92s
Guide

Oh, Oh Thank you so much !!   I did not noticed the difference until you pointed out. Amaz... was taking me there.  So I'd be better off with a RBK23 system then. I will give a look at this although here they are selling the RBK23 with one satellite, another single satellite is very expensive.

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

There is a rbk43 renewed on Amazon for pretty inexpensive
Message 6 of 10
P92s
Guide

Thank you

Message 7 of 10
P92s
Guide

Correction: system I'm considering is a RBK353 (two Satellites). As per the positions I'm thinking the daisy chain is likely to happen automatically; it's a pity it cannot be deactivated from the setup. I might use 1 satellite (RBK352)and a repeater but I will have two separate SSIDs. Or consider a different triband system.

Message 8 of 10
plemans
Guru

The MK83 system is a triband nighthawk version.

Message 9 of 10
P92s
Guide

@plemans wrote:

The MK83 system is a triband nighthawk version.

Thank you for your support and recommendations.  I'll be back when I decide the way to go after my future ISP will deliver a new VDSL and I could check the wifi coverage.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7