Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK353 drops internet every 20-40 minutes

Imbset
Guide

RBK353 drops internet every 20-40 minutes

Morning,

Yesterday I’ve got this set delivered to me as my prev. Network was getting a little outdated. Followed the out of the box installation and works great.

However, for some odd reason, the router somehow loses connection to the internet for a second every 20-40 minutes according to the logs and don’t really notice it until I ‘m gaming.

[Internet connected] IP address: 77.248.238.227, Sunday, March 06, 2022 05:30:15
[Internet connected] IP address: 77.248.238.227, Sunday, March 06, 2022 04:50:10
[Internet connected] IP address: 77.248.238.227, Sunday, March 06, 2022 04:10:10
[Internet connected] IP address: 77.248.238.227, Sunday, March 06, 2022 03:30 :06
[Internet connected] IP address: 77.248.238.227, Sunday, March 06, 2022 02:50:04

I’ve tried rebooting, a fresh start up, up/downgrading the firmware and checking my modem’s setting(Bridge), so I’m getting a little lost
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Imbset
Guide

Re: RBK353 drops internet every 20-40 minutes

A week after making this change;
Technicolor router set from Bridge to Router mode and setting up the DMZ, I’ve had zero disconnects and solved my problem

Much appreciated for the support!!

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Is it causing an issue? Or are you just noticing it in the logs and curious about it? 

Some isp's set differing times for IP address renewals/lease times. 

Message 2 of 10
Imbset
Guide

Hi Plemans,

Sure is, while gaming it disconnects you from the game, strangely my prev. setup didnt have these issues at all..

I was thinking of changing my modem’s setting to function as a router instead of a bridge and setting my Orbi system up as an AP, you reckon this could resolve it?
Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

what modem/gateway is it? 

If its a combo device as you're statement implies, it can cause a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions. I've see some ISP supplied modem/router combo devices be pretty sketchy and have poor passthrough mode. 
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 4 of 10
Imbset
Guide

It is a Technicolor TC7200U from my ISP, currently set up as a bridge, so its routing systems are not be functional, so option 1 has already been tried.

After some reboots and sequenced startups I have managed to reduce my disconnects to once per hour. Sadly I cannot change any settings in the modem supplied by my ISP, so option 2 kinda falls of too..

Some side information:
Both routers and satellites are running on V4.20.0.4_3.100.71
One of the satellites is on backhaul(figured this was possible)
Modem has a leaseperiod of 1hour, yet internet drops are not in sync with the modems’ lease period
Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

You can always try the technicolor in router mode (disable its wifi) and the orbi in access point mode. 
it wouldn't be the first poorly coded isp supplied router I've seen

Message 6 of 10
Imbset
Guide

Plemans,

I've been getting disconnections during important meetings(which is quite frustrating), so I've given my ISP a call and they pushed a FW update to my modem which allowed me to change settings such as the DMZ etc.

So I'm now using the second solution you proposed, noticed that my DHCP lease time is now set to 24 hours instead of 1 hour, I'll track my logs for the coming 1 or 2 days and track if I have any more disconnections.

If it is resolved, thank you for your support, it is highly appreciated!!

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

Hope if works for you!

If it does, you can mark it solved to help others with this issue.

(please it keeps others from trying to fix an already fixed issue)

Message 8 of 10
Imbset
Guide

A week after making this change;
Technicolor router set from Bridge to Router mode and setting up the DMZ, I’ve had zero disconnects and solved my problem

Much appreciated for the support!!
Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

Glad its working!

Sad to see how many ISP devices passthrough function has issues. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7