Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK750 Keeps dropping connection, not connecting to satellites and only router

RjDes
Initiate

RBK750 Keeps dropping connection, not connecting to satellites and only router

Guys please I need your help. We have three people working from home and my network keeps dropping. I paid over the top for RBK750 with a router and 2 satellites. it was good initially but now the network keeps dropping. I've searched all over for a fix and nothing worked. I contacted Netgear and they won’t help unless I buy the support package for more money.

So I have RBK750. 1 RBR750 and 2 RBS750 all on firmware V4.6.3.7. I've tried to downgrade but the only step down they have on the website is 3.2.18, and apparently i cannot downgrade to v3. I have a virgin modem. I have the 350mbps plan. My house is brick house so I thought 2 satellites will be best. Both are 30ft away.

It drops out randomly, not at increased load of anything. PS4 drops, Zoom calls drop. Even on my iphone, Ipad and mac it drops. It’s a nightmare.

Another thing I noticed is my devices connect to router, rather than the satellite. So my phone and ps4 will connect to the router instead of the satellite right next to it. I've tried restarting it so many times. I done a factory reset once and that was painful. I really hope someone can please help me sort this out.

I convinced the family it was good money spent, but now I'm regretting it.

thanks

Message 1 of 30
plemans
Guru

Re: RBK750 Keeps dropping connection, not connecting to satellites and only router

There is a forum for your device. I'd try posting there. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

A couple things. 

1. Virgin tends to use modem/router combo devices. It causes a double nat and can sometimes cause issues. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

2. brick is great at blocking wifi. I've seen homes that use a wired backhaul either using moca adapters, powerline adapters, or just running ethernet. Mesh is great in concept but it runs off a wireless backhaul. If you're home isn't condusive to wireless backhauls, the connection between router/satellite won't be stable. 

Message 2 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Traffic Meter, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling AX Mode on the RBR. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@RjDes wrote:

Guys please I need your help. We have three people working from home and my network keeps dropping. I paid over the top for RBK750 with a router and 2 satellites. it was good initially but now the network keeps dropping. I've searched all over for a fix and nothing worked. I contacted Netgear and they won’t help unless I buy the support package for more money.

So I have RBK750. 1 RBR750 and 2 RBS750 all on firmware V4.6.3.7. I've tried to downgrade but the only step down they have on the website is 3.2.18, and apparently i cannot downgrade to v3. I have a virgin modem. I have the 350mbps plan. My house is brick house so I thought 2 satellites will be best. Both are 30ft away.

It drops out randomly, not at increased load of anything. PS4 drops, Zoom calls drop. Even on my iphone, Ipad and mac it drops. It’s a nightmare.

Another thing I noticed is my devices connect to router, rather than the satellite. So my phone and ps4 will connect to the router instead of the satellite right next to it. I've tried restarting it so many times. I done a factory reset once and that was painful. I really hope someone can please help me sort this out.

thanks

Message 3 of 30
raven_au
Virtuoso

@RjDes wrote:

Having 30ft to a satelite might be a problem with brick internal walls.

One really big problem, IMHO, is there's no way I can see to evaluate the backhaul connection, there's no bitrate, RSSI or anything in the app or on the web interface, so all you can do is guess.

I also have brick internal walls and there's no way I could place statelites 30ft away from the router, the backhaul connection would just not be good enough.

This might me contributing to your problem.

As far as devices not connecting to nearer satelites, that's mostly up to the device, the Obri can encourage devices in various ways but they are ultimately responsible for making the choice. It's also difficult for us to understand what a device "sees" as a better signal to undersatnd why those choices are made.

For example, I have a satelite arbout 6 or 7 meters from my router with line of sight so I don't care which devices in that area connect to becuase the satelite has been placed there for two bedrooms behind the wall it's next to. Mostly that works but a couple of devices in those rooms that are probably about 4 or 5 meters away from the satelite connect, not to the nearby router, but to a second satelite that's further away from them than both the nearby satelite and the router. I've seen this same behaviour with an AC Orbi, the AX Orbi and ASUS AiMesh systems so clearly what those devices are seeing as best path is nothing like what I expect even knowing what obstacles are in between those devices and the targets they can connect too.

In my experience the Orbi is fairly good (compared to other mesh systems) at selecting where to connect so I'd encourage you to think about what may be influencing the devices connection selection and the placement of staelites.

It might help but there's nothing simple about working this out.

Not only that I've seen some strange behaviour with devices that are placed in poor locations that does appear like disconnection and, in my case, there's nowhere else I can place those devices. I've not seen this sort of range problem with any other mesh systems so it must be the Orbi AX wireless settings ... but don't really know for sure.

Message 4 of 30
User196851
Tutor

I'm having the same problem.

I have RBR750 Orbi with base and two satellites (fwiw, this model is not listed in the forum's model list). For the most part, things working fine. All wired connections working and I can connect wireless devices and get Internet. I've had the system for about a year. The following problem has been very infrequent until a couple of weeks ago, and it is now pervasive. Nothing that I know of has changed (perhaps an auto firmware update I wasn't aware of?) Wireless devices keep dropping wifi. We have iOS, Android and other types and the issue is consistent across all types of devices. In some cases, simply going to the phone's WiFi settings and selecting the home network reconnects immediately, in other cases there is a "no Internet" and it takes about 5 minutes before the connection stabilizes and becomes reliable. Sometimes, WiFi will remain connected for days, sometimes it drops off again in just a couple of minutes. I might have working WiFi just fine, and my wife sitting next to me doesn't. Sometimes it's the opposite. In other words, there is no consistency other than everyone on the house has trouble with WiFi dropping out on their phones.

Router is RBR750, satelites are RBS750. Firmware is up to date (4.6.3.7_2.0.49). We have Fios and the RBR750 is the router for the house, nothing else upstream except the Fios box with ethernet output. SSID is a non-standard name. Satelites connected via wired backhaul. I have both 2.4 and 5 GHz enabled and Orbi automatically assigns "_5G" to the end of the SSID on the 5G band (i.e. I have no option to make the SSID the same for both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands). I live in a relatively dense suburban neighborhood, so I have lots of neighbors, but the Orbi system is supposed to be able to handle that. 2.4 GHz channel is Auto and 5 GHz is 48. I looked at the settings for 20/40MHz, CTS and other settings, and my understanding is the default parameters are already the most conservative and designed for service in areas with lots of wireless traffic, so I'm not inclined to change them.

I've read Netgear's less than helpful troubleshooting pages on this topic and nothing in there has worked.

Assistance is appreciated.

Message 5 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you disable AX mode on the RBR? 

What happens if you turn OFF the RBS and leave the RBR only running? 

@User196851 wrote:

I'm having the same problem.

I have RBR750 Orbi with base and two satellites (fwiw, this model is not listed in the forum's model list). For the most part, things working fine. All wired connections working and I can connect wireless devices and get Internet. I've had the system for about a year. The following problem has been very infrequent until a couple of weeks ago, and it is now pervasive. Nothing that I know of has changed (perhaps an auto firmware update I wasn't aware of?) Wireless devices keep dropping wifi. We have iOS, Android and other types and the issue is consistent across all types of devices. In some cases, simply going to the phone's WiFi settings and selecting the home network reconnects immediately, in other cases there is a "no Internet" and it takes about 5 minutes before the connection stabilizes and becomes reliable. Sometimes, WiFi will remain connected for days, sometimes it drops off again in just a couple of minutes. I might have working WiFi just fine, and my wife sitting next to me doesn't. Sometimes it's the opposite. In other words, there is no consistency other than everyone on the house has trouble with WiFi dropping out on their phones.

Router is RBR750, satelites are RBS750. Firmware is up to date (4.6.3.7_2.0.49). We have Fios and the RBR750 is the router for the house, nothing else upstream except the Fios box with ethernet output. SSID is a non-standard name. Satelites connected via wired backhaul. I have both 2.4 and 5 GHz enabled and Orbi automatically assigns "_5G" to the end of the SSID on the 5G band (i.e. I have no option to make the SSID the same for both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands). I live in a relatively dense suburban neighborhood, so I have lots of neighbors, but the Orbi system is supposed to be able to handle that. 2.4 GHz channel is Auto and 5 GHz is 48. I looked at the settings for 20/40MHz, CTS and other settings, and my understanding is the default parameters are already the most conservative and designed for service in areas with lots of wireless traffic, so I'm not inclined to change them.

I've read Netgear's less than helpful troubleshooting pages on this topic and nothing in there has worked.

Assistance is appreciated.

Message 6 of 30
User196851
Tutor

I will try this and see if that helps. Will update in a couple days on how it goes.

But this seems like I'm sacraficing performance for stability. The product should work and be reliable with all advertised features enabled.

Message 7 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya we know. It should ALL work. 

Keep us posted...NG is aware of new problems in v4 FW. No idea when new FW will be forth coming...

@User196851 wrote:

I will try this and see if that helps. Will update in a couple days on how it goes.

But this seems like I'm sacraficing performance for stability. The product should work and be reliable with all advertised features enabled.

Message 8 of 30
User196851
Tutor

I tried disabling AX features - no joy. Everyone in the family still having trouble. If anything, things are getting worse. A couple people in the family have "forgotten" our home WiFi network and are simply relying on cellular (thankfully we switched to unlimited) because the Orbi system is now so unreliable.

I "stepped up" to this system because it was supposed to be the high-reliability, seemless, WiFi solution. So much for that. Very dissapointing.

Message 9 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Might return it and find something different. If not, you'll need to contact NG support and open a support ticket. 

Message 10 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@RjDes wrote:

thanks

Message 11 of 30
duomono
Star

Hi all

Just bought the Orbi 6 RBK852/850 2 weeks ago … the coverage and speed is good but the Wifi network discounting 2-3 times a day is a huge headache when your home is set up with ‘smart’ but wifi dependent products. I’ve also hosted an online event and got disconnected. When I called netgear, they claimed it’s not their product problem and they can fix it - blaming on my network - at a fee. I told them the product is sold at a price that we should expect decent support. Disappointing experience with Netgear!

I hope we can find some solutions here.
Message 12 of 30
User196851
Tutor

@FURRYe38 :

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Might return it and find something different. If not, you'll need to contact NG support and open a support ticket. 

Past the return period and past 90 days. So NG wants to charge me for the privilidge of contacting them directly. Very frustrating considering the reason I need help is to fix a problem of NG's making.

Message 13 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Please make a new post in the main forum and we'll help you out. 

Thank you. 

@duomono wrote:
Hi all

Just bought the Orbi 6 RBK852/850 2 weeks ago … the coverage and speed is good but the Wifi network discounting 2-3 times a day is a huge headache when your home is set up with ‘smart’ but wifi dependent products. I’ve also hosted an online event and got disconnected. When I called netgear, they claimed it’s not their product problem and they can fix it - blaming on my network - at a fee. I told them the product is sold at a price that we should expect decent support. Disappointing experience with Netgear!

I hope we can find some solutions here.

Message 14 of 30
morechoff
Guide

I have the exact same issue with RBK750.  Connection to the Internet via Wifi drops for about 5 mins. Does not happen everyday (at least i dont notice it).  Very frustrating. This is new setup that I just bought at Costco.

Mike 

Message 15 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

@morechoff wrote:

I have the exact same issue with RBK750.  Connection to the Internet via Wifi drops for about 5 mins. Does not happen everyday (at least i dont notice it).  Very frustrating. This is new setup that I just bought at Costco.

Mike 

Message 16 of 30
morechoff
Guide

Firmware on the RBK750 router is v4.6.3.16.

I am running on Spectrum using the Netgear CM700 modem.   Firmware is Spectrum version.  I have no control over the firmware.

House is about 3700 sq feet. I have two satelites. The modem is located in the family room on the 1st floor, one satelite is about 40 feet away on the 1st floor. The 2nd satelite is upstairs.

House is built out of wood and has drywall. No brick.

Issue I have is that the router loses internet connectivity for about 5 mins (maybe a bit less) periodicaly. It does come back. The RBK750 is brand new (a month or so old).

I was able to connect to the ethernet port on the modem using hard wire and internet was working. The issue is the router.

Mike 

Message 17 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.

@morechoff wrote:

Firmware on the RBK750 router is v4.6.3.16.

I am running on Spectrum using the Netgear CM700 modem.   Firmware is Spectrum version.  I have no control over the firmware.

House is about 3700 sq feet. I have two satelites. The modem is located in the family room on the 1st floor, one satelite is about 40 feet away on the 1st floor. The 2nd satelite is upstairs.

House is built out of wood and has drywall. No brick.

Issue I have is that the router loses internet connectivity for about 5 mins (maybe a bit less) periodicaly. It does come back. The RBK750 is brand new (a month or so old).

I was able to connect to the ethernet port on the modem using hard wire and internet was working. The issue is the router.

Mike 

Message 18 of 30
morechoff
Guide

This is a brand new router and install. I believe the router came with an older version of firmware and it was updated to the latest. I would rather not reset and redo.

Issue is sporadic. Very odd. SImilar to the issue with the DST. 

Mike 

Message 19 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a full power OFF of the ISP Modem, RBR and RBS for 2 minutes then back ON...

A reset maybe needed as last resort. 

Message 20 of 30

Posting here not so I can get help but so that people who come to this thread in the future might possibly avoid buying Netgear mesh routers I have owned this device for about three weeks now and it has been sheer hell every time it drops the net work my Google mesh that is 3 1/2 years old maybe slower but it never once drop the net work in 3 1/2 years
Message 21 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@morechoff wrote:

This is a brand new router and install. I believe the router came with an older version of firmware and it was updated to the latest. I would rather not reset and redo.

Issue is sporadic. Very odd. SImilar to the issue with the DST. 

Mike 

Message 22 of 30

Any issue with a router that occurs more than once and it’s brand new is a serious problem. If you are experiencing’intermittent’ complete network crashes , run to the store, because it ain’t going to go away. This is an awful product.
Message 23 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Return it if it's not working for you then. 

@Presidiodelux wrote:
Any issue with a router that occurs more than once and it’s brand new is a serious problem. If you are experiencing’intermittent’ complete network crashes , run to the store, because it ain’t going to go away. This is an awful product.

Message 24 of 30

100% that's what I did. But I also did my due diligence first eventually landing here where you see horror story after horror story. Product is great until its not. Which cropped up in the first 4 days of use. It drops the network, stays dropped after successive restarts. This is a half baked product. 

Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7