Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

Atllaw
Star

I just tried plugging in a wired connection. Getting about 450 down and 600 up directly at the router. Didn’t unplug everything though. Frankly I am just tired of filling with the thing. Spent a ton of time setting it up and getting it exactly right and then this update BS. It works ok, just not optimal. However, I paid for optimal and don’t need the headache of Netgear putting out deficient firmware.
Message 51 of 303
Atllaw
Star

Update here. Spent my first evening with the new update. In addition to the slower speed I am also getting kicked off the network constantly. I can’t seem to stay on the main network and keep getting bumped to the guest network on my iPhone and then i get delays connecting.
Tried to contact support twice through chat and lost the sessions both times. Afterwards, I tried phone support. Chat certainly seemed more knowledgeable about the issue - wanted to change ports and channels, but I never got to actually do that since I was kicked off the app. After 5 minutes on hold taking to a supervisor, Phone support first told me that I should plug the router into the wall rather than a power strip then reset the router. I gave up.
I am within the 90 day return policy at Costco and really don’t need this hassle. I am just going to take it back and find another option, probably a cheaper one. If anyone has suggestions (3k 50s ranch house, can do wired backhaul over cat 6a cable most anywhere), I am all ears.
Message 52 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Has the Orbi been factory reset since the FW was updated? 

Message 53 of 303
Atllaw
Star

No, I rebooted the modem, but haven’t done a factory reset. Other people were using the network last night so didn’t want to knock everyone off to change channels and ports, both since other people said it didn’t work for them and also since the support’s first conclusion was that plugging it into the wall would fix it (the router is the only thing plugged into the power strip).
For me, I just spent a ton of time setting this thing up and tweaking it so I could get the best performance. To have Netgear just come in and knock it all down with a stupid firmware update that they knew was faulty is frustrating to no end and if I have to reconfigure it, I would rather just start with something else which is either more reliable or cheaper or both.
Message 54 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck then. 

Message 55 of 303
Mstrbig
Master

@Niko78 wrote:

@Waliuddin 

Hi,

Did you succeed to downgrade to V3 version ?

I am only able to downgrade the RBS.

Like many people it is impossible for me to downgrade the RBR because the button to lauch manual upgrade is missing in the web interface 😞

I don't think @Waliuddin tried it, as it is impossible to downgrade the RBR router. This came directly from Netgear support

Message 56 of 303
pete7steps
Tutor

I also tried to downgrade using tftp from my directly-connected mac. No luck.
Message 57 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know.

Ya I think the one users post isn't credible. 

7 Series users will need to keep in contact with NG support. Hopefully this weill be fixed as soon as possible. 

Message 58 of 303
dejan2604
Aspirant

I think Ng should immediately publish a nev FW version, which will be in reality the old one. In that way the users who installed the latest FW can immediately fix their problems and NG will get some time to correct the issues.

Thanks God I read this post before I started to update ...

Message 59 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Fixes don't get done over night. Just saying. NG is working on this. 

Message 60 of 303
pete7steps
Tutor

Anyone know about Netgear switches not working when attached to RBR750? I have a Netgear GS116 which seems to work fine, but a GS308 and GS316 do not work. I have seen comments about power management features causing probs with the RBR but nothing official from Netgear. The GS316 worked fine before the firmware update. Now, anything attached to the GS3xx switch shows link light but cannot get an IP address. Connecting same device directly to router works fine.

Message 61 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Both 308 and 316 have the following which may cause problems with Orbi systems:

ENERGY EFFICIENT
ETHERNET (IEEE 802.3az)

Your 116 series is a older generation GS which doesn't have the above features so why thats working. 

NG GS-105/108v4, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems.

I haven't yet tested my 8 series loaded yesterday with v4 FW on the main home network yet. Thats coming soon where I have GS 1 series switches in place. 

@pete7steps wrote:

Anyone know about Netgear switches not working when attached to RBR750? I have a Netgear GS116 which seems to work fine, but a GS308 and GS316 do not work. I have seen comments about power management features causing probs with the RBR but nothing official from Netgear. The GS316 worked fine before the firmware update. Now, anything attached to the GS3xx switch shows link light but cannot get an IP address. Connecting same device directly to router works fine.

Message 62 of 303
pete7steps
Tutor

I understand, but I have a few issues with this:
1. Both switches worked fine until the fw upgrade.
2. There is no information from Netgear that Orbi does not support these switches
3. Why would Orbi suddenly have issues with 802.3az standard, making them incompatible with their own switches?
Note: I also have an older Cisco switch (SD2005) which also will not work with RBR750.
Message 63 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Been a long known issue here in the forums with switches with "Green Ethernet" features not working well for Orbi systems. 

Can't tell you why otherwise. 

Try a factory reset and see if this helps any. 

I just put my two RBS850s online and there connected via ethernet thru GS105/108 swiches I have. 

Message 64 of 303
AggedwNG
Apprentice

Add internet crashes while downloading (literally anything) over ethernet, to the list of issues with this fw.. This started happening on my RBR750 recently and only when connected to the router via ethernet and trying to download (mine was system updates, software updates and differing sizes of random files tested varying from ~300 mb - 18 gb). Tested across all 3 lan ports and various wired devices (desktop, laptop, game console), same results. Brings down the entire network which only way to get access/connectivity back is a hard power cycle of the router every single time. I have a post on the forums and a case open about this. If I bypass the router (direct line to device from ONT), zero issues. Factory reset does not resolve or mitigate the issue from what I've tried. Connected an old Asus RT-AC68U in place of the RBR750 and cannot replicate the issue so ISP/Service is not the factor here. Could be that the router lan ports are crapping out (router is only 2 months old) but I'm able to do just about anything while wired except download, which is odd. Speed tests are consistent as well, even while wired (except from the router to Ookla, which is a known issue). Wireless connectivity to the router (streaming, which is only what my wireless connected devices do) appears unaffected and does not seem to be suffering the same issue. As long as no one tries to download anything over ethernet, everything is fine.. Else, the router and network crashes. Getting a little aggravated since I work remote and this could end up being a big problem for me and since we cannot downgrade from this fw, could end up being a costly one as well..
Message 65 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 66 of 303

Same issues here  V4.6.3.7_2.0.49

Multiple reboots, resets, RMA did not help. 

Unstable connections and white/blue LEDs coming on randomly. 

Message 67 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this in this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBK752-753-Firmware-Version-4-6-3-7-Released/m-p/211566...

Thank you. 

@lngtme-orbi-usr wrote:

Same issues here  V4.6.3.7_2.0.49

Multiple reboots, resets, RMA did not help. 

Unstable connections and white/blue LEDs coming on randomly. 

Message 68 of 303

No yes buttonNo yes buttonAirprint has stopped working after this update was forced out. I can't roll it back either. 

There is no yes button. This is in safari and this is also the case for firefox. 

Message 69 of 303
mcnitzken
Guide

I tried downgrading the main router with the tftp and also and had no luck 😞

Message 70 of 303
orbiuser1975
Apprentice

I'm having the exact same issue and am not happy as I didn't "choose" to update the firmware, Netgear pushed this to my router without my permission and now I have a wifey who works at home who gets disconnected from alll of her Zoom calls.  Thanks for nothing Netgear...  I reported the issue to "Support" and haven't heard anything back...

Message 71 of 303
orbiuser1975
Apprentice

Why do you keep posting the same link to everyone having this issue?  Nobody here wants to go read another whole thread when a broken update was forced on customers...  If you want to be helpful, post what would be helpful...

I clicked your link and without readying everything, I think you want people to do the following?

"Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? "

So now consider this...  I'm using my router happily for months, all of a sudden without warning, Netgear pushes a poorly tested update and it is broken.  People who aren't very tech savy are supposed to start searching through forums or randomly know that there was an update pushed?

I wish the QA engineer's phone number was public, I'd forward all my wife's disgruntal calls directly to this wanker...

Netgear == PoS

Message 72 of 303
orbiuser1975
Apprentice

I'll never buy another Netgear device. Shame on Netgear for forcing firmware on customers, especially when poorly tested. I'm reading over the EULA to see if I agreed to this intrusion of hell that this update (v4.6.3.7) has put me through with repeated disconnects the past couple of days. 

Message 73 of 303
ghoulishgary21
Aspirant

just registered to add my name to the list - large ethernet downloads on firmware 4.6.3.7 brings down my entire network and requires a hard reboot of the router to fix.

FIX THE FIRMWARE ALREADY NETGEAR

Message 74 of 303

I wonder my work VPN traffic is doing the same. I’ll have to check.
Message 75 of 303
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7