Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

FURRYe38
Guru

NG is aware of the problems and also recommended disabling AX mode as well. Lets all hope the next FW update fixes this. Please be patient. 

Please post in this thread for v4 issues and experiences. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBK752-753-Firmware-Version-4-6-3-7-Released/m-p/211566...

Thank you. 

@intergeek14 wrote:

No yes buttonNo yes buttonAirprint has stopped working after this update was forced out. I can't roll it back either. 

There is no yes button. This is in safari and this is also the case for firefox. 

Message 76 of 303
Xcelebric
Guide

I have extactly the same problem after upgrading to the new V4 firmware, the Wifi constantly get disconnected, I have to reboot both the router and the satellite , and it prabably works for a few days and the Wifi became unstable again. 

But I sucessfully downgraded firmware to V3.  

The "Yes" buttom just got hidden. In the Windows Edge Brower (Chrome Core version), access the maual firmware update page and when you get the warning says downgrade to a lower version firmware. Press F12 to open the Debug page, and found the hidden button element next to "NO",  and the " element.styledisplay: none"   displays on the debugging window under "Styles" tab,  remove the "none"  and "Yes" will show up. Then click it to update the Firmeware. 

But I still cannot find a way to disable the auto firmware update, I assume it will later update to V4 soon?  

Message 77 of 303
michsu
Apprentice

Thanks for that. I was able to go back too. I found an easier way I think to find it. Top left button (Select an element in the page to inspect it). And click on the “No” button and then the “Yes” button is just right below it. Thank you again.
Message 78 of 303
michsu
Apprentice

When it rebooted unfortunately, It went back to 4.6 again.
Message 79 of 303
Niko78
Apprentice

Many thanks, I was also able to display the "enable telnet" checkbox on the page http://orbilogin.net/debug.htm but clicking on it is not wotking because some action code seems to be missing on the web page to enable telnet.

With telnet access I was then hoping to disable automatic update.

Message 80 of 303

What a horrible shame this whole fiasco is. Those of us who had interrupted Zoom calls and time-sensitive work will find all of this hard to forget. 

Support got back to me and provided a list of steps to downgrade the firmware. Before doing so, I asked how they'd advise me about preventing an automatic update back to the nightmare v4.6.3.7.

They replied that I cannot disable that feature. And so back to square one I am. 

Message 81 of 303
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

I've started a thread here in the Idea Exchange requesting the option to opt-out of unscheduled updates. Suggest everyone who agrees chime in.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/Stop-unscheduled-firmware-updates-in-Orbi-AX...

I also spoke with NG support about how they cannot kill our networks at their convenience since they have no idea what work they're interrupting. In 30+years of using Cisco and Linksys and then 5 years using Nighthawk, I never had an unplanned outage forced by the vendor. I'm supposed to have another call with NG on Monday.
Message 82 of 303
Xcelebric
Guide

Me too. Auto upgraded to V4 firmware after reboot...

Message 83 of 303
Niko78
Apprentice

Same for me, It's the first device I have that automatically updates the firmware without user validation and without the possibility doing a roll-back !

How can Netgear force pushing automatic upgrades without having prepared a roll back procedure in case of issues ?

What's the f.... !

Netgear is a network expert company and should know you don't push firmware upgrades whenever they want.

The best practice is to let upgrades validated by the user.

It seems Netgear don't want to let people downgrade to the previous firmware maybe  because of the new SPC feature (Supports Smart Parental Controls) in version 4.6.3.7 for which you have to pay.

Netgear prefer selling new features and let people having issues instead of helping people rolling back to the previous more stable firmware.

Hope automatic updates will not be done for upcoming firmwares otherwise my Orbi system will directly go to the trash bin...and I will not recomanding it anymore to my family and friends.

Message 84 of 303
Atllaw
Star

Issues solved!!!!!! I just did a factory reset as suggested before I boxed this POS up to return to Costco - everything is working great now. New system was less time and frustration than fooling with this. Never again Netgear!!!!!!
Message 85 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

DO you have a 2ndary around that you can use infront of the RBR? If you do, you could block the auto update feature with this router and prevent the update to v4. Until NG fixes this issue. 

@Xcelebric wrote:

I have extactly the same problem after upgrading to the new V4 firmware, the Wifi constantly get disconnected, I have to reboot both the router and the satellite , and it prabably works for a few days and the Wifi became unstable again. 

The "Yes" buttom just got hidden. In the Windows Edge Brower (Chrome Core version), access the maual firmware update page and when you get the warning says downgrade to a lower version firmware. Press F12 to open the Debug page, and found the hidden button element next to "NO",  and the " element.styledisplay: none"   displays on the debugging window under "Styles" tab,  remove the "none"  and "Yes" will show up. Then click it to update the Firmeware. 

But I still cannot find a way to disable the auto firmware update, I assume it will later update to V4 soon?  

Message 86 of 303
scoboo
Guide

Hello,

Did you ever resolve this? We have the EXACT same problem!

I even 'upgraded' from the RBK 750 to the RBK753S. As long as the router had firmware 3.1.18.1, we got accurate speed and the wifi did not drop. But then Netgear removed the option to select whether to auto-upgrade f/w...which means our f/w auto-upgraded to 4.6.3.7!! So now we're back to the exact same problem as you identified in this post.

Any ideas?

The agent I spoke with today at Netgear is escalating this issue to a senior technical lead.

Thanks
Scott

Message 87 of 303
scoboo
Guide

Major bug is an understatement.

Please let us know if you get a solution.

We have Cox GigaBlast service (1 GB of bandwidth).

When FW4.6.3.7 was released, our router auto-update and our speed went from 940mbps to 600mbps (using Internet Speed Test on Orbi app) to 8mbps-22mbps using SpeedTest.net on MacBookPro and other wireless devices connected to the Orbi Router. Our TV is wired and is getting 78mbps.

I 'upgraded' from the RBK 750 to the RBK753S. When I first installed this 'new' router with firmware 3.1.18.1, we got accurate speed and the wifi did not drop. But Netgear removed the option to select whether to auto-upgrade f/w...which means our f/w auto-upgraded to 4.6.3.7!! So now we're back to the exact same problem!

Cox is our ISP. They have sent three technicians to our home to verify the signal to the pedestal and to the node for our house; to the external box on our house and directly to the Netgear CM1200 modem. It is NOT an ISP issue.

Any solutions? The agent I spoke with today at Netgear is escalating this issue to a senior technical lead, as it's been three weeks of speed between 8mbps and 200mbps.

Thanks

Message 88 of 303
scoboo
Guide

Same issue here and NO SOLUTION from Netgear!

When FW4.6.3.7 was released, our router auto-update and our speed went from 940mbps to 600mbps (using Internet Speed Test on Orbi app) to 8mbps-22mbps using SpeedTest.net on MacBookPro and other wireless devices connected to the Orbi Router. Our TV is wired and is getting 78mbps.

I 'upgraded' from the RBK 750 to the RBK753S. When I first installed this 'new' router with firmware 3.1.18.1, we got accurate speed and the wifi did not drop. But Netgear removed the option to select whether to auto-upgrade f/w...which means our f/w auto-upgraded to 4.6.3.7!! So now we're back to the exact same problem!

Cox is our ISP. They have sent three technicians to our home to verify the signal to the pedestal and to the node for our house; to the external box on our house and directly to the Netgear CM1200 modem. It is NOT an ISP issue.

Any solutions? The agent I spoke with today at Netgear is escalating this issue to a senior technical lead, as it's been three weeks of speed between 8mbps and 200mbps.

Thanks

Message 89 of 303
scoboo
Guide

We have the exact same issue...and NO SOLUTION from Netgear after three weeks!

When FW4.6.3.7 was released, our router auto-updated and our speed went from 940mbps to 600mbps (using Internet Speed Test on Orbi app) to 8mbps-22mbps using SpeedTest.net on MacBookPro and other wireless devices connected to the Orbi Router. Our TV is wired and is getting 78mbps.

Thanks

Message 90 of 303
scoboo
Guide

I tried this with a tier 2 Netgear technical support agent and we didn't have any success. Have you verified this as a solution?

Message 91 of 303
scoboo
Guide

I had the EXACT same experience with the Netgear tier 2 support agent. I only got "No" as an option as to whether to proceed with the downgrade. It appears that it is NOT possible to downgrade and revert to the prior stable f/w

Message 92 of 303
scoboo
Guide

The issue is 100% with the f/w update.

We have the exact same issue...and NO SOLUTION from Netgear after three weeks!

When FW4.6.3.7 was released, our router auto-updated and our speed went from 940mbps to 600mbps (using Internet Speed Test on Orbi app) to 8mbps-22mbps using SpeedTest.net on MacBookPro and other wireless devices connected to the Orbi Router. Our TV is wired and is getting 78mbps. We are NOT able to hard-wire our MacBookPro to the Orbi router to test, as Apple removed the ethernet port.

Thanks

Message 93 of 303
scoboo
Guide

Our actual speed HAS degraded due to the Orbi router.

I'm not able to hard-wire my Mac to the Orbi, as Apple has removed ethernet ports.

As I had shared with you previously, Netgear was not able to help me downgrade the f/w as Netgear prevents it based on a modal that displays with only one option: "No"

Message 94 of 303
scoboo
Guide

Genius move! Thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately, Netgear said they removed the option for a user to deselect 'autoupdate'...

Message 95 of 303
scoboo
Guide

Thanks for your post!

I had the same response from Netgear support! They tried to assist with the f/w downgrade...but then mentioned that it will autoupdate!! CRAZY!!

Message 96 of 303
scoboo
Guide

I returned my RBK750 and upgraded to the RBK753S from Amazon. However, your router WILL autoupgrade in the middle of the night...if it doesn't, please let us know how you prevented it. Netgear said that they disabled the feature for users to deselect the autoupgrade...

Message 97 of 303
AggedwNG
Apprentice

Seriously @scoboo.. I understand you're pissed like many of us are but you are blowing up everyone watching this thread. Contact NG support and voice your discontent like everyone else.

Netgear.. This is how you lose customers and you're about to lose a lot of them.. The ones complaining right now, are only the customers who pay attention or manage their hardware themselves. I'd suggest listening and getting that fw fix out with a quickness.. Undo the sneaky move you pulled with disabling manual fw downgrades and our ability to disable auto-updates, before you permanently damage your reputation in this market..
Message 98 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

DO you have a 2ndary around that you can use infront of the RBR? If you do, you could block the auto update feature with this router and prevent the update to v4. Until NG fixes this issue. 

@scoboo wrote:

Hello,

Did you ever resolve this? We have the EXACT same problem!

I even 'upgraded' from the RBK 750 to the RBK753S. As long as the router had firmware 3.1.18.1, we got accurate speed and the wifi did not drop. But then Netgear removed the option to select whether to auto-upgrade f/w...which means our f/w auto-upgraded to 4.6.3.7!! So now we're back to the exact same problem as you identified in this post.

Any ideas?

The agent I spoke with today at Netgear is escalating this issue to a senior technical lead.

Thanks
Scott

Message 99 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

I can confirm that doing this does bring the YES button back on the browser window. If users do this, you may need a upstream or other host router infront of the RBR to block NG update services to prevent the system from auto updating back to v4 after reverting back to v3. 

@Xcelebric wrote:

Message 100 of 303
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7