Timothy88
Luminary

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

The reversion sounds painful too.

Message 126 of 303
Timothy88
Luminary

I'm not holding my breath but hopefully the restore fixed the isses.

Message 127 of 303
lyl1988
Aspirant

Mark!!  Thanks for the solution! Will try it out. 

BTW in the upgrade page. there is no "submit" button. You need to F12 to web debug mode and set the display to "inline". The button will popout. 

Message 128 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2130584/highligh...

@lyl1988 wrote:

Mark!!  Thanks for the solution! Will try it out. 

BTW in the upgrade page. there is no "submit" button. You need to F12 to web debug mode and set the display to "inline". The button will popout. 

Message 129 of 303
MacDonals
Aspirant

I am also having issues with this update. My RBS750 satellite now alternates between solid blue and flashing white. I believe it's continually rebooting. The RBR750 (router mode) shows that the wireless backhaul status is good, but I'm very dubious as it's never behaved like this before.

I attempted to downgrade the satellite to firmware 3.18, including resetting, but that hasn't worked. For now I'm leaving it as is, but this firmware is definitely glitchy.

Message 130 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

You sure the RBS didn't re-auto update? 

You might downgrade the RBR as well....

@MacDonals wrote:

I am also having issues with this update. My RBS750 satellite now alternates between solid blue and flashing white. I believe it's continually rebooting. The RBR750 (router mode) shows that the wireless backhaul status is good, but I'm very dubious as it's never behaved like this before.

I attempted to downgrade the satellite to firmware 3.18, including resetting, but that hasn't worked. For now I'm leaving it as is, but this firmware is definitely glitchy.

Message 131 of 303
bensanford
Guide

I have been having strange problems with my Orbi for past few months, not sure if it matched change to latest firmware.  I discovered that enabling the guest Wi-Fi network, apparently caused issues with my main Wi-Fi network - devices would connect to Wi-Fi signal, but there wouldn't be any internet connectivity.  After suggestions on this forum, I disabled the guest Wi-Fi and now main now appears to be working properly.

The other problem I was having on the Ethernet wired portion of my network is that devices would just lose their connection to the network, and they would only reconnect after I did a power-off boot of the main Orbi router.  Since I have that router mounted in the ceiling of my basement, a power off reboot was a hassle.  One discussion led me to think that the IP addresses were getting messed up or lost, so I just went through a rather lengthly process of manually assigning the IP addresses in the router for everything on my network, rather than letting the router do it.  Hadn't realized that there were so many things connected...

So far, that appears to have solved the problem I had been having with devices losing their connection to the wired portion of my network.  It's too early to tell if that has solved my problems, but I'm hopeful  I have saved a back-up file of the router configuration so hopefully won't have to create this all again.   

Message 132 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there good air flow near the cieling in the basement? Heat rises so this may add to warmer conditions.

Basements are not good places for the main RBR. 

Have you done a factory reset and setup from scratch after the FW was updated? 

Others also reported disabling of AX mode on the RBR and setting CTS to 2347 on v4 FW has helped stablize odd problems.

@bensanford wrote:

I have been having strange problems with my Orbi for past few months, not sure if it matched change to latest firmware.  I discovered that enabling the guest Wi-Fi network, apparently caused issues with my main Wi-Fi network - devices would connect to Wi-Fi signal, but there wouldn't be any internet connectivity.  After suggestions on this forum, I disabled the guest Wi-Fi and now main now appears to be working properly.

The other problem I was having on the Ethernet wired portion of my network is that devices would just lose their connection to the network, and they would only reconnect after I did a power-off boot of the main Orbi router.  Since I have that router mounted in the ceiling of my basement, a power off reboot was a hassle.  One discussion led me to think that the IP addresses were getting messed up or lost, so I just went through a rather lengthly process of manually assigning the IP addresses in the router for everything on my network, rather than letting the router do it.  Hadn't realized that there were so many things connected...

So far, that appears to have solved the problem I had been having with devices losing their connection to the wired portion of my network.  It's too early to tell if that has solved my problems, but I'm hopeful  I have saved a back-up file of the router configuration so hopefully won't have to create this all again.   

Message 133 of 303
bensanford
Guide

Is there good air flow near the cieling in the basement? Heat rises so this may add to warmer conditions.

Others also reported disabling of AX mode on the RBR and setting CTS to 2347 on v4 FW has helped stablize odd problems.

Thanks for the reply. 

My basement is actually the coolest portion of my house, and since that's where the Optical to Ethernet conversion box from FIOS is located - it was easiest to located router there.

I didn't do a factory reset and setup from scratch when I upgraded the firmware, but at this point (if network remains stable), I will probably wait for the next version of the firmware and then do it then.  I don't want to mess with it if it is working.

I checked and AX mode is currently enabled.  In the setup, it appears that if I disable that, I'm disabling the 2.4G and/or 5G, but the wireless settings are confusing.  What do I give up if I disable it?  Same confusion on my part regarding the CTS setting.

Message 134 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Your just disabling the AX mode feature that is supported on the system. All other modes, B,N and AC will be still enabled. 

Orbi AX seems to default to 64 on CTS for unknown reasons. Historically, most other systems default to 2347. So try 2347 if you seem to notice wifi problem on devices. 

@bensanford wrote:

Thanks for the reply. 

My basement is actually the coolest portion of my house, and since that's where the Optical to Ethernet conversion box from FIOS is located - it was easiest to located router there.

I didn't do a factory reset and setup from scratch when I upgraded the firmware, but at this point (if network remains stable), I will probably wait for the next version of the firmware and then do it then.  I don't want to mess with it if it is working.

I checked and AX mode is currently enabled.  In the setup, it appears that if I disable that, I'm disabling the 2.4G and/or 5G, but the wireless settings are confusing.  What do I give up if I disable it?  Same confusion on my part regarding the CTS setting.

Message 135 of 303
michsu
Apprentice

1) Download the "RBR750-V3.2.18.1-signed.chk" file from the downloads page

1a) Go to your router and click on "Advanced => Security => Block Sites"

Block these both sites

http.fw.updates1.netgear.com

updates1.netgear.com

2) Upload the file using the F12 trick , just do it for the router, and not the satellites

I rebooted the router now many times, and it is still the V3.2 version, while the satellites are still v4; This way, the router will tell you there's an update available, but since it's blocked, it won't get it;

3) I am able to get 900 up and 900 down now directly from the orbi app.

However, do the satellites still need to be brought down to v3? Thank you.

Message 136 of 303
orbiuser1975
Apprentice

Nice @michsu ! Good job on the out-of-the-box (or in this case in-the-box?) thinking.

Message 137 of 303
michsu
Apprentice

It didn’t work 😞 all three had v3 and then it auto updated even with the blocked rules. I’ll keep trying to mess with it for all of our sake. Can’t they just put back the old firmware? I had the orbi app showing 900/900 (now it’s 600/900), but the speed never replicated through speedtest app. That was still showing lower at 400.
Message 138 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

What does the FW update check feature report as a status after you try this? It should say Service Not Reachable...

I tried this on mine and it wouldn't work. The services reported no new fw vs Service Not Reachable which told me that the block would not work on the RBR itself. 

@michsu wrote:

1) Download the "RBR750-V3.2.18.1-signed.chk" file from the downloads page

1a) Go to your router and click on "Advanced => Security => Block Sites"

Block these both sites

http.fw.updates1.netgear.com

updates1.netgear.com

2) Upload the file using the F12 trick , just do it for the router, and not the satellites

I rebooted the router now many times, and it is still the V3.2 version, while the satellites are still v4; This way, the router will tell you there's an update available, but since it's blocked, it won't get it;

3) I am able to get 900 up and 900 down now directly from the orbi app.

However, do the satellites still need to be brought down to v3? Thank you.

Message 139 of 303
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

@michsu

The URLs that you posted will not be saved in the Netgear rbr's webpage. They need to be added to an upstream router.
Message 140 of 303
Atllaw
Star

So after about 45 days since the first rollout of this, and more than 300 messages about it, still not one official peep from Netgear about the problem or how they will solve it. It has taken so long that even “Christian”, the Netgear employee starting this thread, has retired according to his tag line. I am no longer a Orbi or a Netgear owner, but just watching this thread and SMH.
Message 141 of 303
CovertOp007
Aspirant

Running an RBR750 and two satellites.Since upgrading to FW v4.6.3.7 have major connectivity issues between the router and satellites.

WiFi and Satellite Wired connections are significantly slower (somtimes over 200Mbps slower) than previously. Sometimes completely non responsive.

Purchased on 09/06/2020 @ Costco, worked perfectly until last month with update.

Internet connection from ISP works fine when plugged directly into computer reads 950Mbps up and down.

Satellites continuously seem to begin pulsating white, then may show solid Amber, Blue or Magenta for a time. Eventually begin to pulsate white again and repeat.

Have hard reset the entire system.

Have tried to rollback the FW to v3.2.18.1 - was succesful in the roll back on the Satelites, however, only temporarily. They keep auto updating back to the current.

Can't update the router to 3.2.18.1, when attempting to do so, there is no "Yes" button to click to confirm that I want to install an older version than the current unstall, only the "No" button shows up (tried in multiple browsers to verify).

I see I'm not the only person reporting these problems. Any update from NG on a coming solution?

TIA

Message 142 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

NG doesn't annouce or make it public on how they fix issues found in FW or when updates are forth coming. Some users have already posted that they contacted NG and mentioned they are aware of issues at hand. Fixes don't come over night either. Takes time. One issue that is only a Orbi app and on board speed test inaccuracy which doesn't effect actual external speed test app issues. 

Other issues are made know to NG and will have to wait for the fixes to come down the pipe. 

Message 143 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2130584/highligh...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2131307/highligh...

@CovertOp007 wrote:

Running an RBR750 and two satellites.Since upgrading to FW v4.6.3.7 have major connectivity issues between the router and satellites.

WiFi and Satellite Wired connections are significantly slower (somtimes over 200Mbps slower) than previously. Sometimes completely non responsive.

Purchased on 09/06/2020 @ Costco, worked perfectly until last month with update.

Internet connection from ISP works fine when plugged directly into computer reads 950Mbps up and down.

Satellites continuously seem to begin pulsating white, then may show solid Amber, Blue or Magenta for a time. Eventually begin to pulsate white again and repeat.

Have hard reset the entire system.

Have tried to rollback the FW to v3.2.18.1 - was succesful in the roll back on the Satelites, however, only temporarily. They keep auto updating back to the current.

Can't update the router to 3.2.18.1, when attempting to do so, there is no "Yes" button to click to confirm that I want to install an older version than the current unstall, only the "No" button shows up (tried in multiple browsers to verify).

I see I'm not the only person reporting these problems. Any update from NG on a coming solution?

TIA

Message 144 of 303
Thegleichs1900
Aspirant

SInce the firmware update. I too have had very poor performance since this firmware update. 

What can and is being done to resolve this situation. 

Message 145 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Contact NG support. Downgrade your system.

Message 146 of 303
jamacphoto
Apprentice

Lol contact and downgrade (without the complicated blocking stuff as will just upgrade ) not an option for me.
That be like car company saying just patch it with duck tape till we can fix it lol. This company is pathetic just lucky for now issue has hit me like one else every 2 weeks or more and reboot fixes for me.
Message 147 of 303
Spoongooner
Guide

Can someone upload some pics of how to do the F12 trick to downgrade the RBR750

or more details on what to change to get the YES button 

so i can downgrade firmware to V3

i cant seem to figure it out..

thanks

Message 148 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to review this:

and this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2131307/highligh...

@Spoongooner wrote:

Can someone upload some pics of how to do the F12 trick to downgrade the RBR750

or more details on what to change to get the YES button 

so i can downgrade firmware to V3

i cant seem to figure it out..

thanks

Message 149 of 303
Timothy88
Luminary

I wish Netgear would allow easily downgrading firmware instead of having to stand on your left foot while patting your head and reciting the alphabet backwards on the second Tuesday of the first full moon.

Message 150 of 303
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7