Reply

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

orbiuser1975
Apprentice

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

 


@Jktw wrote:

It appears that NG released the beta to production last night.  When I checked this morning the router was updated to 4.6.3.16_2.0.51. I then reset the router and satellites.  As of now, things are working well.  Speeds are good and connectivity to all devices appears to be stable.   The reset of the router and satellites appears to be a key step with this update.


About time! Can't wait to get home and see if mine was updated...  Oddly, NG had reached out to me in the past few days about my issue being endorsed by L2 Technical Support - hopefully OBE now.  Thanks!

My Setup (FiOS ONT 300Mbps/300Mbps) > pfSense (DIY) > RBR750 (AP) > RBS750 v4.6.5.14
Message 226 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

FYI, user are encouraged to factrory reset and setup from scratch after v16 is loaded. Once set up again, please Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 227 of 303
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7


@FURRYe38 wrote:

FYI, user are encouraged to factrory reset and setup from scratch after v16 is loaded. Once set up again, please Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System


Why can't Netgear keep old settings? It's annoying to reconfigure. 😞

Message 228 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

Things change man. FW code, features, some things get out dated or removed, all kinds of crazy things. Specially when going from one major version to a different newer major version, like v3 to v4. I get it, should keep working thru FW updates but FW is faliible and not perfect. So resets are needed. Then make a new back up to file for use on the new version. 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 229 of 303
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

....\
@Jktw wrote:

It appears that NG released the beta to production last night.  When I checked this morning the router was updated to 4.6.3.16_2.0.51. I then reset the router and satellites.  As of now, things are working well.  Speeds are good and connectivity to all devices appears to be stable.   The reset of the router and satellites appears to be a key step with this update.


Wait. I noticed my router rebooted overnight according to my 12 years old Debian Jessie v8 PC's dmesg (other devices got disconnected too):

...

[Tue Sep 14 01:26:53 2021] r8169 0000:04:00.0 eth0: link down
[Tue Sep 14 01:27:00 2021] r8169 0000:04:00.0 eth0: link up
[Tue Sep 14 01:27:00 2021] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
[Tue Sep 14 01:27:15 2021] r8169 0000:04:00.0 eth0: link down
[Tue Sep 14 01:27:17 2021] r8169 0000:04:00.0 eth0: link up
[Tue Sep 14 01:27:29 2021] r8169 0000:04:00.0 eth0: link down
[Tue Sep 14 01:27:31 2021] r8169 0000:04:00.0 eth0: link up

...

 

So, I got this even though I just checked for a newer firmware version a couple nights ago?

 

 

Message 230 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

Let us know how it goes after a reset and setup from scratch. Hopefully won't see that. The disconnect may have been due to the auto update happening and which if the system does receive a auto update FW, the system WILL reboot and cause the disconnect during this time frame. 

 

Just curious, What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 


@ant wrote:

Wait. I noticed my router rebooted overnight according to my 12 years old Debian Jessie v8 PC's dmesg (other devices got disconnected too):

...

[Tue Sep 14 01:26:53 2021] r8169 0000:04:00.0 eth0: link down
[Tue Sep 14 01:27:00 2021] r8169 0000:04:00.0 eth0: link up
[Tue Sep 14 01:27:00 2021] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
[Tue Sep 14 01:27:15 2021] r8169 0000:04:00.0 eth0: link down
[Tue Sep 14 01:27:17 2021] r8169 0000:04:00.0 eth0: link up
[Tue Sep 14 01:27:29 2021] r8169 0000:04:00.0 eth0: link down
[Tue Sep 14 01:27:31 2021] r8169 0000:04:00.0 eth0: link up

...

 

So, I got this even though I just checked for a newer firmware version a couple nights ago?

 

 


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 231 of 303
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7


@FURRYe38 wrote:

Let us know how it goes after a reset and setup from scratch. Hopefully won't see that. The disconnect may have been due to the auto update happening and which if the system does receive a auto update FW, the system WILL reboot and cause the disconnect during this time frame...


I will deal with that reset and tedious reconfiguration when life quiets down unless the situation gets worsen. When did the newest firmware come out since I checked for it a few nights ago? I don't remember what was the last version I saw in my http://192.168.1.1. Is there a changelog? 😞

 

 

 

Message 232 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

A beta was offered up last week. I believe NG started auto updating users systems yesterday. 

Some info I got:

Speedtest Discrepancy
Throughput/incorrect speedtest results
Stability issues

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 233 of 303
orbiuser1975
Apprentice

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

I updated to V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 and still have poor speed compared to the results provided by Ookla on the router (about 100 Mbps less), and basically a useless guest network, same as before the update. I haven't done a "reset" yet, but will try that and update shortly.

My Setup (FiOS ONT 300Mbps/300Mbps) > pfSense (DIY) > RBR750 (AP) > RBS750 v4.6.5.14
Message 234 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

👍

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 235 of 303
Mastra11
Apprentice

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

Hello, this morning I found myself automatically updated router and the two satellites to version 4.6.3.16_2.0.51 Why is there not on the Netgear site ?? Is a beta version automatically installed ?? Thanks for the replies! ORBI RBK753

Message 236 of 303
Timothy88
Luminary

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

Version 4.6.3.16 is there now and Netgear is not being totally transparent with thier release notes. According to the release notes the only things addresses were security and the speed test inaccuracy.

Airport Extreme routing 750 running in AP mode.
Message 237 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

Sometimes NG pushes FW out to systems before they put it up on there download site. 

A beta WAS available to those who asked for it. 

This is NOT a beta if auto updated. 

Are you having problems with v16 after it was installed? Be sure to do a full power OFF of the system for 2 minutes then back ON. 


@Mastra11 wrote:

Hello, this morning I found myself automatically updated router and the two satellites to version 4.6.3.16_2.0.51 Why is there not on the Netgear site ?? Is a beta version automatically installed ?? Thanks for the replies! ORBI RBK753


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 238 of 303
Mastra11
Apprentice

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

Hello and thanks for the answer, now I have not yet restarted router and satellites, tomorrow if I can I try to restart router and satellites one at a time. But can you tell me what better this firmware than on the site there is? Thank you
Message 239 of 303
Jktw
Guide

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

Well, it appears that 4.6.3.16 has not resolved the stability and connectivity issues.  My system auto updated to 4.6.3.16 and I reset my system. Things went well for about the first ten hours or so and then the issues related to stability and connectivity returned.

 

Not happy with NG at all. The previous version did not have any of these issues.

Message 240 of 303
Mastra11
Apprentice

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

What problems does it give you to you?
Message 241 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

Be sure to power them OFF fully for 2 minutes then back ON. 

 


@Mastra11 wrote:
Hello and thanks for the answer, now I have not yet restarted router and satellites, tomorrow if I can I try to restart router and satellites one at a time. But can you tell me what better this firmware than on the site there is? Thank you

 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 242 of 303
Jktw
Guide

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

Devices lose connection to a satellite and then connect to the router with a poor connection and low speed. For example, Roku device was connected to Sat 1 great connection at 140 Mbps.  It dropped from Sat 1 and connected to the router at 2Mbps.

 

With the previous FW, devices were connected pretty much equally across the router and satellites.   Now most are connected to the router, a dozen or so to Sat 1 and 1 on Sat 2.  This is a FW issue.

Message 243 of 303
Mastra11
Apprentice

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

a ok but always does it?
Message 244 of 303
Jlhardwick
Star

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

Made 1 more attempt to factory reset and try again with the latest firmware. Since I needed to bring this up in parallel with an old router I'm using due this FW problem, I started with a different SSID. All started out ok and configured most of the settings. When it came time to bring down the old router and swap out with the Orbi I changed the SSID to match what I have been using all along and the problem started again with devices not being able to connect. No matter what I do most of my devices will not connect. This is the problem I have had since the original FW update and the current Beta/Release version is no different.

I have wasted hours of time on this and I give up...

Message 245 of 303
Jktw
Guide

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

yes, this has occurred with the two latest FW versions.  This did not happen before these latest updates. 

Message 246 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

Please make contact with NG support on this. 

Downgrade back to v3 for now. 


@Jktw wrote:

yes, this has occurred with the two latest FW versions.  This did not happen before these latest updates. 


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 247 of 303
Stephonline
Guide

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

My experience with the V 16 upgrade is mixed and hard to understand.

 

As suggested, I powered off all my devices and let the nighthawk docsis modem sync up, and then repowered my main router, let it sync, then repowered the satellite.

 

I did not do a factory reset which the Netgear admin said was ok.

 

For about 10 hours, everything was great. Download speeds as measured by the Orbi app were back to 900 mb.  Thruput - both wired and wireless was excellent: 600 on wired connections and 400-500 mb on wireless.

 

Suddenly the wireless thruput as measured on the speed test dropped to 10 - 20 mb. The hardwired speed test had not changed.  The Orbi app still reported download for ~800/850 mb but there was just a trickle of data being pumped out of the system.

 

I have several wired devices (an Apple 4k streamer) connected to the satellite.  They were stuttering and buffering all over the place.

 

I checked the modem and the connection, SNR, and power levels were all nominal.  I do not think it was a provider issue.

 

I repowered the base station and the satellite - let everything sync up and now I'm back to 400 - 500 mb wireless.

 

Does anyone have any thoughts?  

 

Last point:  this was the behavior that the migration to version 4x initiated.  

 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 248 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

EVERYONE> v16 has been released and posted up to NGs download page for the Orbi 7 series.


Please post about any v16 experiences and problems here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4-6-3-16-Released/m-p/21...

 

Thank you. 

 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 249 of 303
raven_au
Virtuoso

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7


@Jktw wrote:

Devices lose connection to a satellite and then connect to the router with a poor connection and low speed. For example, Roku device was connected to Sat 1 great connection at 140 Mbps.  It dropped from Sat 1 and connected to the router at 2Mbps.

 

With the previous FW, devices were connected pretty much equally across the router and satellites.   Now most are connected to the router, a dozen or so to Sat 1 and 1 on Sat 2.  This is a FW issue.


Yes, I do see similar behaviours but only on very few devices with the update.

But I also mostly see it with devices in poor locations relative to the routers and satelites.

And I have noticed there is an increased affinity to connecting to the main router.

 

But, so far, my impression is that the low bitrate associations occur when devices go into power save mode and don't ramp up bitrate quickly enough which looks like the diconnection problem we have previously seen.

 

So I think this is a seperate problem and I for one am happy to use a firmware that solves a serious problem now rather than wait until more problems are fixed.

 

The disconnection problem may well have been a wireless software development kit (SDK) problem for which netgear possibly had to go to the chip manufactures for a solution. So getting a fix this quickly is amazingly good becuase when they have to go to vendors themselves they will generally have much the same problems that we have in getting a problem recognised and then intergrating the updated SDK into the Orbi. More or less double development, double QA etc.

 

I have yet to do a factory default reset myself but, the wireless drivers have been updated, then it may made a difference and devices would probably need to forget the connection and reconnect to ensure they gat the best they can from that update.

 

The fact that a facory reset is recommended for the update makes me think this might be the case.

Message 250 of 303
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E