Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK750 Series - Firmware Update v4.6.3.7

Jlhardwick
Star

OK,  I have tried the new firmware multiple times and it's still crap. Just does not allow my devices to connect.

I'm committed to downgrading the firmware but can't figure out how to get the button to allow downgrade on the router. I know there has been mention of F12 but no detailed instructions and nothing I have tried will get the yes button to appear...

Help!

Message 251 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2130584#M185...

@Jlhardwick wrote:

OK,  I have tried the new firmware multiple times and it's still crap. Just does not allow my devices to connect.

I'm committed to downgrading the firmware but can't figure out how to get the button to allow downgrade on the router. I know there has been mention of F12 but no detailed instructions and nothing I have tried will get the yes button to appear...

Help!

Message 252 of 303
Jlhardwick
Star

Thanks but I guess I'm out of luck the only Windows system I have is a work laptop that the version of Edge on it does not trust the Orbi and will not allow connection. I also tried to F12 and it does nothing with that version.

God I hate Netgear right now

Message 253 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Can't load a different browser on?

You can do this on Mac if you have mac. 

Ask a neighbor or friend for a loaner laptop? 

Message 254 of 303
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Timothy88 wrote:

Good business model we'll make your system unstable so you buy our additional service but still get no resolution, so now you're even more PO'd

And buy newer models. It's not just Netgear doing this! 😞

Message 255 of 303
Jlhardwick
Star

Ok,

Loaded Edge on a Mac and now have the F12 debug mode but can't figure out where in all that stuff to make the change.

This is more than frustrating... I bought this system in April and worked great until the firmware upgrade. Now it's useless and I only have my network partially up using old gear.

If I can't get this downgraded and working again... Anyone want to buy a slightly used AX4200?

Message 256 of 303
Phil_T_AU
Tutor

What did you change to?

Message 257 of 303
orbiuser1975
Apprentice

@orbiuser1975 wrote:

I updated to V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 and still have poor speed compared to the results provided by Ookla on the router (about 100 Mbps less), and basically a useless guest network, same as before the update. I haven't done a "reset" yet, but will try that and update shortly.

Update:

Finally having a free moment to do a full reset, with no kids needing to do homework, wifey not needing to work at home, and myself not away from home, the results are in.  The stability is better, and the Guest network is more functional, at least all my IoT devices seem connected. The wireless speeds (< 200 Mbps) are still lower than expected (300 Mbps), but if I wasn't looking/testing, I probably wouldn't notice.  I honestly couldn't tell you what it was before this firmware mess, but the instability prompted a thorough look. I do see 300/300 on a wired connection.

I did do some testing before enabling the Guest network and changing from the default SSID(s) and speeds were better, but still not optimal.  After enabling Guest, they were slightly worst, and allowing all my WiFi devices to connect by changing back to my chosen SSID, the speeds dropped even more.  I suppose the router being under load has something to do with it.

I'll live with this for now, and keep my fingers crossed that NG doesn't push another botched update.  I'll also be looking for a sale this holiday season on another brand WiFi-6 mesh system...

Message 258 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Guest Network really isn't meant for IoT devices, more like short term phone, pad and laptop use BY "guests". Not sure if GN is really built or designed for having many longterm IoT devices connected. Something to ask NG about and confirm. 

@orbiuser1975 wrote:

@orbiuser1975 wrote:

I updated to V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 and still have poor speed compared to the results provided by Ookla on the router (about 100 Mbps less), and basically a useless guest network, same as before the update. I haven't done a "reset" yet, but will try that and update shortly.

Update:

Finally having a free moment to do a full reset, with no kids needing to do homework, wifey not needing to work at home, and myself not away from home, the results are in.  The stability is better, and the Guest network is more functional, at least all my IoT devices seem connected. The wireless speeds (< 200 Mbps) are still lower than expected (300 Mbps), but if I wasn't looking/testing, I probably wouldn't notice.  I honestly couldn't tell you what it was before this firmware mess, but the instability prompted a thorough look. I do see 300/300 on a wired connection.

I did do some testing before enabling the Guest network and changing from the default SSID(s) and speeds were better, but still not optimal.  After enabling Guest, they were slightly worst, and allowing all my WiFi devices to connect by changing back to my chosen SSID, the speeds dropped even more.  I suppose the router being under load has something to do with it.

I'll live with this for now, and keep my fingers crossed that NG doesn't push another botched update.  I'll also be looking for a sale this holiday season on another brand WiFi-6 mesh system...

Message 259 of 303
orbiuser1975
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Guest Network really isn't meant for IoT devices, more like short term phone, pad and laptop use BY "guests". Not sure if GN is really built or designed for having many longterm IoT devices connected. Something to ask NG about and confirm. 

IMHO, that would be another NG shortcoming and wasn't an issue prior to the firmware update. I could be wrong, but I think you will find that using the Guest network for IoT devices is a pretty standard practice, especially since most SOHO devices don't offer beyond the primary SSID and Guest SSID.

Message 260 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Well, I beleve the practice was broght up as standard by users as we saw in the past that users had problems getting IoT to connect to the main SSID network. Users found the they would connect to Guest Network and the work around populated into what users call "standard" practice though I presume its probably not what the wifi community or router mfrs actually inteaded for GN. 

Over all there is problems on v4 so if your not getting good operation with v4 loaded, contact NG support, revert back to v3 or find something else that works for you. Not much else that can be done on this here in the forums and were hitting a wall with v4. NG needs to review this and the ball is in there court. 

Message 261 of 303
orbiuser1975
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Well, I beleve the practice was broght up as standard by users as we saw in the past that users had problems getting IoT to connect to the main SSID network. Users found the they would connect to Guest Network and the work around populated into what users call "standard" practice though I presume its probably not what the wifi community or router mfrs actually inteaded for GN. 

Over all there is problems on v4 so if your not getting good operation with v4 loaded, contact NG support, revert back to v3 or find something else that works for you. Not much else that can be done on this here in the forums and were hitting a wall with v4. NG needs to review this and the ball is in there court. 

Who knows, I came to use GN for security purposes, like my kids random friends showing up and hopping onto my main SSID with unknowingly hijacked devices. With security in mind, IoT devices are increasingly suspect and also don't "need" to be on the main SSID, thus going on the GN.

Concur, "we're hitting a wall with v4".

Message 262 of 303
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

@orbiuser1975 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Who knows, I came to use GN for security purposes, like my kids random friends showing up and hopping onto my main SSID with unknowingly hijacked devices. With security in mind, IoT devices are increasingly suspect and also don't "need" to be on the main SSID, thus going on the GN.

Concur, "we're hitting a wall with v4".

I have practiced placing the IoT devices on a vlan with internet only access on every router that I have used for the last 30+ years. I don't need cameras, light switches, etc providing a bridge to my main network.

The Orbi 6 literature says that the guest network provides a restricted network without access to the rest of the network. Since the Orbi doesn't allow me to set up a restricted vlan, I was using the guest network for that purpose under the 3.x firmware. Then the 4.x firmware killed the guest network and nothing would stay connected.

I've been running the .16 firmware for a few days now but haven't activated the guest network yet. I'll only re-enable one feature at a time to test whether the new firmware is stable. Today I connected a wired device to a satellite, so far it is working.

Message 263 of 303
jamacphoto
Apprentice

"The Orbi 6 literature says that the guest network provides a restricted network without access to the rest of the network. Since the Orbi doesn't allow me to set up a restricted vlan, I was using the guest network for that purpose under the 3.x firmware. Then the 4.x firmware killed the guest network and nothing would stay connected."

yes some things are the same but some things are differnet since before the bta i had lijkt 1/2 of my stuff not conect usually apple stuff, would find the wifi but not fully connect. 

Then after rebotingb one or 2 tiems all is ok.

for the guest i have been using the guest as you have. before the beta and after tyhe uipgrade had no issue wiht Guest and was abel to have anythign sign on to it. after the beta update speeds got better and did not notice any drop difference. 

for the main wifi did all the steps but factory resert and for a day or 2 had same issue then after that has been farily ok. 

Message 264 of 303

Shame on Netgear. How do they leave this FLAWED firmware update still posted when they knew about this disaster. I just foolishly updated today. This is really pathetic.

Message 265 of 303
nexpos
Star

Sorry all - I'm just confused about how to "downgrade" to older firmware.

Where is a YES button on a manual update page? Are we talking about browsing to older firmware (that I've downloaded from the firmware page for the RBK852 page) and then trying to browse/upload it? It says "failed" every time. 

In my younger days I was better at this - any guidance would be appreciated. THANK YOU

Message 266 of 303
orbiuser1975
Apprentice

@nexpos wrote:

Where is a YES button on a manual update page? Are we talking about browsing to older firmware (that I've downloaded from the firmware page for the RBK852 page) and then trying to browse/upload it? It says "failed" every time. 

In my younger days I was better at this - any guidance would be appreciated. THANK YOU

I feel for ya, it is rediculous that Netgear made this so complicated, even when they put out an update where they could have enabled the YES button.  There are some older posts in this thread that talks about hot to do it, but unless you have a network device in front of your Orbi that is capable of blocking sites, the downgrade won't keep.

Message 267 of 303
tak1313
Luminary

I believe if you go ALLLLLLL the way back to 3.2.10.10, enabling telnet was still in the debug page so you can go in and block the updates.  The instructions are listed by a poster in one of these recent threads (that included the magic F12 key) about how cracked up these updates are.

@orbiuser1975 wrote:

@nexpos wrote:

I feel for ya, it is rediculous that Netgear made this so complicated, even when they put out an update where they could have enabled the YES button.  There are some older posts in this thread that talks about hot to do it, but unless you have a network device in front of your Orbi that is capable of blocking sites, the downgrade won't keep.

Message 268 of 303
Theobuck
Apprentice

I am surprised that this hasn’t made a technical news website like the Verge or Gizmodo for example. When Home Pods were bricking because of a beta FW update, it was tech news.
Message 269 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have a router at the ISP modem/ONT point by chance? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2130584/highligh...

@nexpos wrote:

Message 270 of 303
nexpos
Star

I do not..... unless i'm misunderstanding, the ethernet from the Verizon FiOS Ont that comes into my house, goes straight into my RBR850.

Message 271 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try to downgrade to v3 then block using what the user posted:

NOTE: Have the prior RBS and RBR FW files already downloaded to your PC. You can downgrade the RBS using normal update process. 

The RBR will be done lastly using this:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2130584/highligh...
Follow normal Manual FW update process to select the v3 FW file.

Prevent v4 Autoupgrade using V3.2.10.10:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2131307/highligh...
1. Downgrade the Firmware to V3.2.10.10 for both Router and the Satellite, which is the very first Firmware version.

@nexpos wrote:

I do not..... unless i'm misunderstanding, the ethernet from the Verizon FiOS Ont that comes into my house, goes straight into my RBR850.

Message 272 of 303
Jlhardwick
Star

So I finally downgraded the firmware successfully on Router and Satellite.

I also discovered if you are willing to risk leaving telnet active that after you downgrade to V3.2.10.10 active telnet so you can disable the auto update, you can upgrade to the last V3 firmware before this all went to hell and still have telnet work. Unfortunately I see no way to turn it back off but will to take that risk until Netgear finally fixes this total failure with Firmware V4

Message 273 of 303
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it worked. 

How is your system working now? 

@Jlhardwick wrote:

I also discovered if you are willing to risk leaving telnet active that after you downgrade to V3.2.10.10 active telnet so you can disable the auto update, you can upgrade to the last V3 firmware before this all went to hell and still have telnet work. Unfortunately I see no way to turn it back off but will to take that risk until Netgear finally fixes this total failure with Firmware V4

Message 274 of 303
Jlhardwick
Star

I have on migrated devices back yet. Waiting to make sure the changes I made work and it does not upgrade it's self.

Will report back after a day or so and I migrate if it does not update.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Glad it worked. 

How is your system working now? 

@Jlhardwick wrote:

Message 275 of 303
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7