Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK752 - Awesome but disconnects on facetime a lot

mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

RBK752 - Awesome but disconnects on facetime a lot

Hey all

Firstly, i love my RBK752! The router & Satellite have transformed the WIFI in my house but there is one odd issue

My iPhone doesn’t like it, it seems to be ok when my iPhone (11 pro max) is on the main router but when its on the satellite it disconnects, but i never have an issue with the apple TV or the Alexa on the same satellite.

My phone drops out to 4G, then pops back onto WIFI and it just keeps happening

The Netgear page says the backhaul is good, but every now again a blue solid lights appears on the satellite, this maybe happens once every few days for a couple of minutes

Any ideas please? thank you

Message 1 of 113
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK752 - Awesome but disconnects on facetime a lot

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling  WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Traffic Meter. Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

Hey,

Thank you for the reply.

My home is 1500 square feet, the satellite is around 30feet away from the router going through 4 plasterboard walls. The link status says "GOOD" but every few days the light on the satellite goes solid blue and i have to reboot to make it turn off

2.4 is using AUTO
5 is using 36

I will now change to 2.4 - 1 and 5- 48 and provide feedback.
There are lots of other wifi routers in the vicinity

WMM is already enabled
I have disabled 20/40Mhz Coexistence

i can see the CTS threshold but cant seem to amend it?

when i changed 5ghz to 40 i get a message saying my service rate will drop to 20ghz which corresponds to a 286.6 mbps performance?

Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes -  where is this setting ?

thanks for your help i appreciate it

Message 3 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

udpated on above, i have now changed both 5 and 2.4 to short & CTS on both to 2347

Message 4 of 113
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

Message 5 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

My iphone is disconnecting more thasn ever at the monment, any ideas please?

Message 6 of 113
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens when you disable AX mode on 2.4Ghz? 

Message 7 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

Is the below ok - it’s the message I get

Per Wi-Fi Alliance guidelines for 40 Mhz and 20 Mhz coexistence, even if you select "Up to 573.5Mbps" mode, your product's service rate might drop to 20 Mhz. This typically corresponds to286.8 Mbps performance
Message 8 of 113
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

You can set 40Mhz only as well under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. Just uncheck the check box next to 20/40Mhz.

Message 9 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

Can does the 40mhz setting offer please? Thanks
Message 10 of 113
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

Message 11 of 113
Mikey94025
Hero

@mnichollsuk917 wrote:

My home is 1500 square feet, the satellite is around 30feet away from the router going through 4 plasterboard walls. The link status says "GOOD" but every few days the light on the satellite goes solid blue and i have to reboot to make it turn off

The OP's iPhone 11 Pro Max should be connecting by 5Ghz, so the 2.4Ghz settings shouldn't matter.  Isn't this a more likely problem to investigate?

Message 12 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

I did wonder if it was the AX on 5GHZ that I should turn off rather than the 2.4?
Message 13 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

Just reading about AX, is this fundamental for WiFi 6? What functionality is lost with this setting disabled? Thank you
Message 14 of 113
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes test both frequencies with disabling AX mode and see if this resolves the disconnects. 

Others have reported this as well. 

Message 15 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

It seems to disconnect less but I have just been on a FaceTime call and it disconnected even though AX is disabled on both frequencies- next idea please 😊
Message 16 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

Hi have had 3 WiFi disconnections on FaceTime / iPhone this morning. I have been working from home and work laptop is fine, really does seem an iPhone related problem - any other ideas please?
Message 17 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

Ok, to confirm, when i reset this will keep the newest firmware onboard?  i presume once it is reset i should amend any of the setting such as AX etc? just try it with default settings initially?  Thank you

Message 19 of 113
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes and Try default settings, if not try disabling AX mode and set CTS to 500 or 2347

Message 20 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

I will hopefully have time over the next week to try resetting it all. Out of interest this issue only happens with my iPhone, never my iPad - why would this be? Merry Christmas all 😊😊
Message 21 of 113
FURRYe38
Guru

iphones seen to be more promatic than pads. 

iOs versons could be a factor.

Merry Christmas.

Message 22 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

Hey

Thanks for your comments

The issue was happening on the old firmware and it’s just as bad on the newest firmware - could it still be a firmware issue?
Message 23 of 113
mnichollsuk917
Aspirant

I just don’t understand how a £400 bit of kit can work with almost everything, we constantly have 3 Apple TV’s streaming 4k at the same time without a problem but every single FaceTime call I have drops onto 4G, it’s infuriating. My partner is not going to be happy if I change the hardware as it works great for her; she doesn’t see an issue. I just don’t understand how this can be an issue that isn’t quickly resolved! It seems to be quite widespread as well
Message 24 of 113
CrimpOn
Guru

Is there an option on the iPhone to disable LTE data?

Do you know anyone who could bring a different device over to test Facebook with?  (Perhaps an iPad with no cellular radio)

Message 25 of 113
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 112 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7