Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK752 No Internet Connecction

duffymo
Aspirant

RBK752 No Internet Connecction

Xfinity is my ISP.  The cable modem connecting to the internet is locating in a room above my garage, connecting to my desktop.  I extend wi-fi through the downstairs portion of my house using three of their wi-fi extension pods.  

I purchased an Orbi RBK752 in hopes of improving my wi-fi access.

i logged into my Xfinity modem as admin, enabled bridge mode, and restarted the modem.

I powered up both the Orbi router and satellite, connecting the cable modem to the router using Ethernet port #4.  I set up the Orbi network using the iPhone app.  It said it had no problem getting an Internet connection.  I completed the setup and came downstairs to check the satellite.  It showed a blue light, which means the connection was strong.  

I got on my laptop and saw the Orbi network as a choice for wireless connection.  I chose the Orbi network and entered the password.  My phone told me that it could see both my iPhone and my Ubuntu laptop connected to the Orbi wi-fi network.  It looked like I'd done everything correctly.

I was disappointed when my laptop could not access any web pages.  No hosts could be resolved; no DNS server was visibile.  It was as if there was no connection to the Internet, in spite of the feedback on my phone.

I had to disconnect and turn off the Orbi router and satellite and restore the Xfinity extenders to restore Internet access.  

What did I miss?  Why couldn't my laptop find a DNS server when the network said an Internet connection was available?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK752 No Internet Connecction

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Power OFF the ISP Modem and RBR for 1 minute. Then back ON with the modem first, then the RBR. Be sure to use port #1 on the modem for the RBR ethernet cable. 

Message 2 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

What make/model ISP modem/router is your Orbi router connected to and what is it connected to?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

This was asked... Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

As if you don't do it all the timeSmiley Tongue

Message 5 of 6
Mikey94025
Hero

First, make sure your Orbi is in Router mode because you are putting your ISP modem into bridge mode.

I use Comcast myself and incur short periods of connection failures when changing to/from bridge mode or changing the hardware requesting a WAN IP (as you did, from your Xfinity gateway to your Orbi).  After making this change, use 1-800-COMCAST automated system to reset and reboot your modem.  You can also go to https://www.xfinity.com/ , Account Settings, Services, Manage Internet.  Under Devices you should see your Xfinity gateway, click the Restart Modem link under it and wait for a bit then restart your Orbi.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7