Hi folks,

Product Details
Orbi WiFi Mesh WiFi 6
AX4200
RBK752
RBR750 Router
RBS750 Satellite
The tech support person said the firmware of the devices was up to date

I use the Realtek 8812AU dongle to connect to WiFi, all the drivers are up to date, it supports 5ghz.

I was connected to my Spectrum router, I used to get about 15 mbps speed on the 5ghz channel and everything was going great.

Come Black Friday, my Roomate gets this Orbi WiFi 6 mesh and installs it. Now my phone connects to this network and I get 296 mbps speed on my phone.

However my Realtek dongle connects to this and I get a speed of 78 mbps for sometime. After some minutes the connection to my Realtek dongle keeps fluctuating, I can notice the signal strength move from 4 to 5 and 5 to 4 and the internet speed drops to 0.05 mbps.

When I ping it, there is a packet loss of 50% some times 75% some times it’s 100% but the ping times is 2985 ms, after a while I get 17 ms ping, it goes back to 2890 ms and keeps fluctuating

I reported this to customer care, they logged in to the Orbi app, changed wireless connection from 48 to 44. Or to only show 5ghz signal.

It still didn’t solve that problem of fluctuating internet speed.

Anyone know why this is happening, before we got Orbi, I had an option to select 5ghz or 2.4 ghz channel and everything was fine, now I don’t get this option and the connection to my Realtek dongle keeps fluctuating once I m connected to the WiFi and the speeds vary

Could you let me know how to fix this?
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Wonderboyexp
Initiate

Re: RBK752, RBS750, RBR750

It’s working now, seems like I had to move the Orbi satellite close to my computer. I though it had crazy range. But I moved it from 25 feet to 10 ft, it’s better now

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Realtek isn't the best at updating their drivers. 

Are you using the realtek on a windows pc? if so, you should be able to log into the device manager and set it to prefer 2.4ghz.

or you could try disabling AX on the router and see if it helps. 

Message 2 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@Wonderboyexp wrote:
I use the Realtek 8812AU dongle to connect to WiFi, all the drivers are up to date, it supports 5ghz.

Whatever you want to tell us here.... Operating system? Driver version? Disabled Bluetooth on the adapter?

@Wonderboyexp wrote:
I was connected to my Spectrum router, I used to get about 15 mbps speed on the 5ghz channel and everything was going great.

That's about a number one would expect from a poor 2.4 GHz connection - nowhere of normal or great for a 5 GHz connection.

@Wonderboyexp wrote:
Come Black Friday, my Roomate gets this Orbi WiFi 6 mesh and installs it. Now my phone connects to this network and I get 296 mbps speed on my phone.

Nice, isn't it? And you don't have to care if walking away or returining to the site - the phone will establish the connection to the longer reach 2.4 GHz link first, and then seamlessly roam to the 5 ghz link. Welcome to the year 2020!

@Wonderboyexp wrote:
I reported this to customer care, they logged in to the Orbi app, changed wireless connection from 48 to 44. Or to only show 5ghz signal.

Interoperability issues are extremely hard to handle by support. They will go on the book ...

@Wonderboyexp wrote:
However my Realtek dongle connects to this and I get a speed of 78 mbps for sometime. After some minutes the connection to my Realtek dongle keeps fluctuating, I can notice the signal strength move from 4 to 5 and 5 to 4 and the internet speed drops to 0.05 mbps.

Can just guess - it might have changed the band or the Orbi router/satellite. 

@Wonderboyexp wrote:
Anyone know why this is happening, before we got Orbi, I had an option to select 5ghz or 2.4 ghz channel and everything was fine, now I don’t get this option and the connection to my Realtek dongle keeps fluctuating once I m connected to the WiFi and the speeds vary

Things I would try is disabling the 20/40 MHz compatibility option on the client side, disable the on-board Bluetoth to get rid of some interference.

No you have not had an option - the old router announced to different networks for connecting to the one single network - and you had to change manually as the client would have stick to the band.

Message 3 of 4
Wonderboyexp
Initiate

It’s working now, seems like I had to move the Orbi satellite close to my computer. I though it had crazy range. But I moved it from 25 feet to 10 ft, it’s better now
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7