Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK753 - assign client to a specific satellite

Rudolphy
Apprentice

RBK753 - assign client to a specific satellite

Hello Forum,

Is there a way that I can assign a client, for example a TV, to a choosen satellite via WLAN? My TV unfortunately prefers to connect to the more distant router instead of the closer satellite. Even when the signal of the satellite is stronger. With Asus there is a corresponding option in it’s firmware, but not with the Orbis.

Thanks for any hint

Rudi

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Alas, there is no such option in the Orbi.  What some people have found is their TV's WiFi connection is 'sticky'.  The router begins broadcasting WiFi well before the satellites do, and the TV may connect to the firt compatible WiFi signal it finds and quit looking.  (After all, the TV does not move anywhere.)  Devices designed to be portable often have WiFi software that constantly searches for a "better connection."

You might try to restart the TV (actually power off and back on - pull the plug - turning a TV "off" with the remote obviously does not actually "turn it off" because the remote can start it back up again.)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Alas, there is no such option in the Orbi.  What some people have found is their TV's WiFi connection is 'sticky'.  The router begins broadcasting WiFi well before the satellites do, and the TV may connect to the firt compatible WiFi signal it finds and quit looking.  (After all, the TV does not move anywhere.)  Devices designed to be portable often have WiFi software that constantly searches for a "better connection."

You might try to restart the TV (actually power off and back on - pull the plug - turning a TV "off" with the remote obviously does not actually "turn it off" because the remote can start it back up again.)

Message 2 of 7
Rudolphy
Apprentice

Thank you for the feedback. I was hoping for a smarter solution. The problem then occurs again with each reboot. Too bad, there is nothing I can do.

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

My Orbi has gone six months between reboots (electric company shut down for maintenance). That or a firmware update (also more than six months apart).

Question: when the TV connected to the "wrong" access point, was the performance of the TV unacceptable?

Message 4 of 7
Rudolphy
Apprentice

Yes, ist runs acceptable on 2,4 radio at approx 40 mbit. On correct radio it could be full speed at 250 mbit

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

From what I read, 40mb is more than enough to stream 4K video.  You are correct that this is one of the most frequent questions asked about the Orbi product. ('splitting' 2.4G and 5G SSID's was #1 for a long time.)

Message 6 of 7
Rudolphy
Apprentice

With my RBR 50 I had for a while the two radios split (different SSID). Regardless of this, I also find the possibility to assign certain clients to a specific satellite very interesting.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7