Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK753 - won't find updated firmware

51Alan
Guide

RBK753 - won't find updated firmware

My RBK753 system is running firmware 3.2.16.22.  According to the Netgear website the latest firmware version is 3.2.17.12, and it was released in late January.  However, when I check for firmware updates on the Orbi app, or by logging in to the router as administrator, I get the message that there is no new firmware available.  Why would that be?

Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
Mikey94025
Hero

It's expected that most Orbi systems will not automatically detect the new firmware release soon aftert it's announced and posted for manual download.  For most customers it's okay and they don't need to update right away.  Making these new releases available on the support website supports anyone who does need the latest fixes or who wants to upgrade as soon as possible.

It is normal for companies to gradually update their installed customers with new firmware or software versions.  Mobile app vendors do the same each time they make a new app version available in the app store.

This gradual rollout policy is to reduce risk, e.g., if there is some unexpected issue with the new firmware they want to minimize the set of customers negatively impacted by the bug.  By gradually rolling out new firmware releases and monitoring customer-reported issues, they can halt the rollout as soon as a small number of customers begin reporting issues.  They can also accelerate the rollout as more customers use the new firmware but do not report problems.  The gradual rollout period might be over several weeks or multiple months.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 22

All Replies
Mikey94025
Hero

It's expected that most Orbi systems will not automatically detect the new firmware release soon aftert it's announced and posted for manual download.  For most customers it's okay and they don't need to update right away.  Making these new releases available on the support website supports anyone who does need the latest fixes or who wants to upgrade as soon as possible.

It is normal for companies to gradually update their installed customers with new firmware or software versions.  Mobile app vendors do the same each time they make a new app version available in the app store.

This gradual rollout policy is to reduce risk, e.g., if there is some unexpected issue with the new firmware they want to minimize the set of customers negatively impacted by the bug.  By gradually rolling out new firmware releases and monitoring customer-reported issues, they can halt the rollout as soon as a small number of customers begin reporting issues.  They can also accelerate the rollout as more customers use the new firmware but do not report problems.  The gradual rollout period might be over several weeks or multiple months.

Message 2 of 22
51Alan
Guide

That makes sense. Thanks!

Message 3 of 22
vajim
Master

@Mikey94025 wrote:

Nice concept with what you describe (I hope you got this from Netgear themselves).  As much as I agree with the limited roll out in the case of a bug, then going forward what does that do to the version numbering if revisions are needed.  Another aspect of the limited roll out is when you have gurus in here that post new firmware updates are available thus advertisting its use.  These would be people who have 100s if not 1000s of post in these forums and are constantly pushing eveyone to update their firmware as soon as it becomes available.

One final thought..."automatic detection of the new firmware release" is NOT the same as auto-push where the user has no involvement, the firmware is pushed automatically pushed.  Either way when you think about all of the ways firmware can be updated the risk reduction is nearly eliminated.  

Message 4 of 22
Rawcus
Tutor

I think you folks are mistaken in that when checking for firmware with an AX router it just says firmware check error. They all say that. It doesn’t work. Regardless the length of time after the release of new firmware.

I made a separate post simply asking the question if you have a router that doesn’t say that or you’ve been able to update the firmware post here. Please participate if this applies to you.
Message 5 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Mine doesn't say that:

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 6.33.45 PM.png

No Check Error seen here. Also there is nothing new so "No New Firmware Available" will be reported. Of course. 

Message 6 of 22
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Mine doesn't say that:

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 6.33.45 PM.png

No Check Error seen here. Also there is nothing new so "No New Firmware Available" will be reported. Of course. 

and if SOME say "mine doesn't say that",...it must be true

Message 7 of 22
GBAL
Aspirant

HOW DO I PERFORM ANY UPDATES TO MY RBK753 SYSTEM

Message 8 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 9 of 22
Rawcus
Tutor

Very soon some guy will chime in saying you can do it automatically but the manual way is better. He'll then put a link to the manual method of updating the firmware. 

This is a lie because the only way you can do it is the manual way. 

You should contact netgear and ask why the adverstised method of using the app or the automatic process on the website doesn't work. 

Message 10 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

I did, "V3.2.17.12 is available via manual download only from product support pages. We've purposely not put it on update server thus customers will not be pushed."

Message 11 of 22
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I did, "V3.2.17.12 is available via manual download only from product support pages. We've purposely not put it on update server thus customers will not be pushed."

This sure makes it sound like @FURRYe38 works for Negear or he/she does a pretty job imitating a moderator. We've purposely not put it on update server thus customers will not be pushed."   WOW!!

My favorite one is the "it works for me so it should work for you".  

Message 12 of 22
Rawcus
Tutor

Just to be clear no version has been or is available via app update or automatic website update. I’m glad he spun the situation to act as if it’s this one version that won’t update.
Message 13 of 22
GBAL
Aspirant

So then how do we fix the problem of my WiFi kicking out constantly?
Message 14 of 22
vajim
Master

@GBAL wrote:
So then how do we fix the problem of my WiFi kicking out constantly?

IF you're fairly certain the problems were caused by a recent firmware update you can try and roll the firmware back.

Go to downloads section here, enter your model number 

Message 15 of 22
bullm00n
Luminary

@Rawcus wrote:
I think you folks are mistaken in that when checking for firmware with an AX router it just says firmware check error. They all say that. It doesn’t work. Regardless the length of time after the release of new firmware.

I made a separate post simply asking the question if you have a router that doesn’t say that or you’ve been able to update the firmware post here. Please participate if this applies to you.

MY old RBR50 found the firmware updates and notified me about them.  And My RBR850 did the same for one update when I first got it.  This latest version of firmware, I was not notified, but found it through the forums and did a manual update.  I have never seen "firmware check error" that I recall.  I have never had an RBK753 set, but certainly the firmware updates work for similar ORBI devices for at least some users.  If it is not working for you and indicating an error, there's likely some other cause - something blocking the check, a browser issue, etc.

This is what I see when I check now...

Model Name Device Name Current Firmware Version Status
RouterRBR850RBR850V3.2.17.12No New Firmware Available
SatelliteRBS850Orbi Satellite-1V3.2.17.12No New Firmware Available

Message 16 of 22
Rawcus
Tutor

Thank you for posting what looks like a paste of the website automatic process. Please attempt to do so with the Netgear phone app and let us know how it goes. Thanks in advance.
Message 17 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Same here:

OrbiAppFWCheckWorking.PNG

Message 18 of 22
bullm00n
Luminary

IMG_2054.JPGIMG_2053.jpg

@Rawcus wrote:
Thank you for posting what looks like a paste of the website automatic process. Please attempt to do so with the Netgear phone app and let us know how it goes. Thanks in advance.

Message 19 of 22
Rawcus
Tutor

This is when you try to update a rbr850 or rbs850? Sometimes referred to as the rbk852.
Message 20 of 22
bullm00n
Luminary

@Rawcus wrote:
This is when you try to update a rbr850 or rbs850? Sometimes referred to as the rbk852.

Yes, my system is AX6000 / RBK852 set with an RBR850 and RBS850.

Message 21 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Mines the RBK853. 

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements