Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK753S - WAN aggregation for 1.2 Gbps plan - Not compatible with Arris S33 cable modem then?

njweb
Luminary

RBK753S - WAN aggregation for 1.2 Gbps plan - Not compatible with Arris S33 cable modem then?

As some of you know, I recently bought the Orbi RBK753S and it is working great. At the time I had a 400 Mbps internet plan.

I just upgraded to my ISP's 1200 Mbps internet plan.

I know the RBK753S supports speeds over 1 Gbps by leveraging TWO of the ethernet ports on the back for 'WAN Aggregation' to support speeds up to 2 Gbps.

My current DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem - Motorola MB8600 - already supports WAN aggregation (believe up to 3.8 Gbps if all 4 ports were to be used for its 'link aggregation' feature).

With my Orbi RBK 753S, I assume I would not be able to use a newer cable modem such as the Arris S33 (not that I need it, but checking my options in case) since the Arris has one 2.5 GBps port and ONLY has one 1 Gbps port and only ONE port can be used at a time, whereas the Orbi does not have a 2.5 Gbps port and needs 2 ethernet cables (carrying up to 1 GBps each) from the cable modem.

I cannot route an ethernet cable from the S33's 2.5 GBps output to the first TWO ethernet ports of the RBK753S, right?

(I assume there might be devices I could hook up between the modem and router to split the S33's 2.5 GBps into 2 outputs so it could be connected to the TWO 1 GBps ports on the Orbi, but I would rather avoid that).

Can someone confirm my understading please? Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK753S - WAN aggregation for 1.2 Gbps plan - Not compatible with Arris S33 cable modem then?

Are you are correct. 

The 7 series doesn't have a 2.5Gb WAN port. All 1000Mbps. You may want to ask your ISP for the 1000Mpbs speed package if they have one thats at a lower cost. 

You can connect a RBR850 that has a 2.5Gb WAN port. Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 4
njweb
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Are you are correct. 

The 7 series doesn't have a 2.5Gb WAN port. All 1000Mbps. You may want to ask your ISP for the 1000Mpbs speed package if they have one thats at a lower cost. 

You can connect a RBR850 that has a 2.5Gb WAN port. Smiley Wink

Thanks! I mainly just wanted to confirm my understanding. 🙂

Right, I saw the RBR850 has a 2.5 Gbps port. But it has no 2.5 GBps LAN ports. 

Anyway, till 6E comes out, I think I will use the 2 Link Aggregation ports on my MB8600 cable modem and connect them with 2 ethernet cables to the 2 aggregated WAN ports on the RBK753S.

Then I will have close to 1 GBps for my one laptop (via a single ethernet connection) and the remaining 440 Mbps will be avaiable to other devices.

I may also try software aggregation on that laptop using a USB to 2.5 GBps adapter or switch so I can do simultaneous downloads IF needed...

Main thing for right now, is for Xfinity to get my speed upgrade processed (they're having an issue with my order at the moment, but that's another story).

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya thats one thing I'm curious why router mfrs are not putting 2.5 or higher ports in. I presume maybe still waiting on the hardware to come down in cost for the consumer. Still kinda spendy in some areas. 10Gb stuff is still high. I bought a 2.5Gb and a 5Gb USB to ethernet adapters so I could test some things out. I have a ASUS GT-AX11000 that has a 2.5Gb WAN or LAN port. I use it for the LAN side so I can connect it to a 2.5Gb PC. Also client side hardware (CPU) has to be able to handle those higher speeds as well.

I should connect my CM2000 up and test it out. Just enjoying my CM1200 and being able to have two different routers on the one modem. Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7