Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK763S (AX5400). SSID reset required

Soloman
Star

RBK763S (AX5400). SSID reset required

Ever since purchasing my new RBK 763S, I have had an issue with a requirement to setup a new SSID after my Internet connectivity is dropped, or if we experience a power outage.  If I do not change the SSID many IOT items (including my iPad) struggle to maintain connectivity.  My service provider is Comcast, and my Cable modem is a Netgear CM1100.  There are around 80+ items that are connected via the RBK763S on my home Network so when this does occur, the end effect is that I have to run around a reset the SSID and passwords for all of the IOT items that are on my Network.  It is quite a burden in having to do this for so many of these IOT entities.  Is there a way to get around this?  Any ideas on what could be causing it?  

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK763S (AX5400). SSID reset required

Yes. I use 50% on mine. Seems to also help steer devices to RBS as well vs the RBR. Orbi systems are fairly powerful. 

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

You don't need to change the SSID or should need a reset. 

80 devices is kinda high...not sure if this will impact or cause what your seeing. 

Can you disable say half of these device and see if this changes the behavior? 

Message 2 of 11
Soloman
Star

Current Software version is V6.3.1.0_1.1.41.  Separation is ~20 ft to 1 Satellite (also through walls) and ~35 feet to the second Satellite (also through walls).  About half of the devices are wired using Ethernet and Netgear switches.  When fewer items are connected I was still having issues connecting my iPad with the previous SSID, changing my SSID was a solution one of the Netgear Tech support reps suggested after walking through the initial setup with me.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

@Soloman wrote:

Current Software version is V6.3.1.0_1.1.41.  Separation is ~20 ft to 1 Satellite (also through walls) < this would be WAY TOO close for this one RBS to the RBR.

and ~35 feet to the second Satellite (also through walls).  About half of the devices are wired using Ethernet and Netgear switches.<What model # are these switches?   When fewer items are connected I was still having issues connecting my iPad with the previous SSID, changing my SSID was a solution one of the Netgear Tech support reps suggested after walking through the initial setup with me.

What CAT# lan cable are you using? 

Message 4 of 11
Soloman
Star

Sounds good I will try separating the 1 Satellite that is within 20 feet - to greater than 30 feet.  My LAN cables are mostly CAT6, although some of the in wall lines are still CAT5e.  The switches are:  GS208 (1), GS205 (2), GS908 (1), GS308V3 (1).  

Message 5 of 11
Soloman
Star

Should I be looking at a different model of Orbi for my home?  You implied that the 80+ devices were a bit too much for the RBK763S.  Would the RBK850 series, or even the RBK950 series handle this quantity better - the total number of devices supported is a bit vague in the specs.   One of the reasons I avoided the higher end models (in addition to the price difference ) is that with a 3100 sq foot house - these packages might overwhelm the size of the home and cause other issues.

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 7 of 11
Soloman
Star

Thanks for that reference, if that is blanket statement for the whole Orbi line, then at least I know that my issues are not related to the number of low end IOT devices that I have connected through the system.  Most of the time these devices require little bandwidth -i.e. switches and sensors etc.  So if I see the issue again, I will not have to look at replacing the unit.

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I think for the most part spacial distances between the RBR and RBS will resolve what your seeing. 

Message 9 of 11
Soloman
Star

One more question - would reducing the transmitter power also help alleviate this issue?  

I could take them down to 50% based on the size of our house.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. I use 50% on mine. Seems to also help steer devices to RBS as well vs the RBR. Orbi systems are fairly powerful. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7