Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK763S Specs

ahswp
Apprentice

RBK763S Specs

I noticed that Costco has the RBK763 on sale now. Looks like a slight upgrade vs the old 753 that they used to sell. 

One strange thing that I noticed is that they increased the flash memory (a good thing!) but the processor was a quad core 1.4 and now is a dual core 1.0. Seems like this would be a big negative especially if you have a lot of devices on your network.

Am I missing something here? Why would they downgrade the shipset in an "upgraded" model? Cost savings? Supply chain issues getting chips? 

Message 1 of 8
ahswp
Apprentice

Anyone know the answer to this?
Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 3 of 8
ahswp
Apprentice

I see the specs but that doesn't answer my question. Why would they have a slower processor? Or am I misunderstanding it?

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably a results of the pandemic and short on parts and supplies availability at the time of Mfrg. Also cut Mfrg costs with using lessor processors. 

Message 5 of 8
Timothy88
Luminary

Did they lower the price of it or are they charging the same as for the high spec processor? Ignoring the member discount.

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@ahswp wrote:
I see the specs but that doesn't answer my question. Why would they have a slower proce...

Correct.  It is a mystery.  One guess could be that this is a newer SOC (System on Chip) that can do as much with dual processors as the 3-4 year old quad chip did with four.  Maybe the CPU was overpowered and much of the capacity was never used, so the new one saves money?  This appears to be the first Orbi that offers

"Control your WiFi using voice commands when you have Amazon Alexa or the Google® Assistant

One wonders what sort of voice commands these would be. The user manual does not include the words 'Amazon' or 'Alexa', so maybe it is so obvious that no explanation or instructions are required?

It is also a mystery why this new product would include 4GB flash memory whereas the 750 has 512MB.  Eight times as much!  Whatever for?

@ahswp
Message 7 of 8
ahswp
Apprentice

I guess we'll have to wait for some reviews of the real world performance. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7