Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK763S - on sale $399 at Costco. Should I buy 2 sets or buy the RBK843S for $850 ??

SavedMan
Follower

RBK763S - on sale $399 at Costco. Should I buy 2 sets or buy the RBK843S for $850 ??

I am just about to venture into 6 mesh WiFi.  I have a large house with one high end Linksys Router and 2 Range Extenders.  

I have dead spots.  And inadequate coverage.  So I plan to go mesh.  

The updated 763S is advertised as up to 7500 SqFt.  the 843S is also rated at 7500 SqFt (but just faster).  The 763S is on sale for $399 (3 pack) and the 843S is $850 for a 3 pack.  

I am wondering if I might be better off getting 2 sets of the 763S and using two of the satellites from the second set to better extend my coverage?  My home is approximately 4,200 on the main floor.  About 1,200 on the second floor.  And the garage is about 40 feet from the nearest satellite.  Plus I want my "Ring" floodlight security cameras on the outside of my home to get more reliable coverage.  

I sure would like to know what the community thinks about my dilemma.

Message 1 of 3
Phyber
Luminary

Re: RBK763S - on sale $399 at Costco. Should I buy 2 sets or buy the RBK843S for $850 ??

FWIW, I  have the 753S system (750 plus two satellites). Coverage in our two story, 3500 sq.ft. home and 1/2 acre property is excellent. One of the satellites upstairs is hard wired to the router for the backchannel and the other one upstairs just uses the WiFi backchannel. Speeds and stability are just fine. The 763, at that price, is a good deal.

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK763S - on sale $399 at Costco. Should I buy 2 sets or buy the RBK843S for $850 ??

@SavedMan wrote:

The updated 763S is advertised as up to 7500 SqFt.  the 843S is also rated at 7500 SqFt (but just faster).  The 763S is on sale for $399 (3 pack) and the 843S is $850 for a 3 pack. 

Statements such as "Covers 7.500 sq. ft." and "blazing fast 5.4Gps" are marketing hype created by assuming the maximum theoretical link rates, no allowance for distance or building materials, no consideration of interference, etc.  (Notice the tiny footnote signal which leads to a sections saying, "nothing is guaranteed".)

Consider, for example a WiFi access point located against an exterior wall.  50% of the radio signal goes "thataway", which in your case might be great, or might be out into the street where it is essentially wasted.  Put that access point in the corner and 75% of the signal goes outdoors - IF it isn't blocked by building materials such as brick walls.

The radio transmission power of WiFi devices is strictly limited in every country, and Netgear follows the local regulations.  I am not convinced that there will any substantial difference in coverage between a three pack of 760 and a three pack of 840 units.  Having two additional satellites might allow crafty placement to extend the signal farther.  Plus, you get a 760 router as a spare.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7