Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK850 to current setup

ChrisChu20
Aspirant

RBK850 to current setup

Hi all, had a RBK850 system setup in wireless mesh. Getting weak signal in some parts of the house and was able to get my hands on another RBK850. I added the satelite to the current RBK850 setup and now want to see what I can do with the RBR850.

Is there a way I can add teh RBR850 to the current mesh setup? I can connect it to the main RBR850 using ethernet if that helps. 

Also is there a way to run some of the RBS850 wired back to the original RBR850 (where i can) and the other wireless as some of the satelite have ethernet connects available to them?

Thanks in advance. 

C

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)📡? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

You can use the 2nd RBR850 in AP mode. I won't be included in the 1st MESH system though. 

Message 2 of 6
ChrisChu20
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for your reply, see below.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
V3.2.18.1_1.4.14

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Running NBN in Australia so going directly and connecting via PPPoE

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
480 Sq Ft across two floors

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)📡? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite📡

Both are within 30ft, however the house is all double brick wall internally

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
6 in 2.4Ghz and 48 on 5Ghz

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
Depends on where in the house, but no more than two other WiFi

You can use the 2nd RBR850 in AP mode. I won't be included in the 1st MESH system though. Why’s that? Looking to keep everything on the same network so there’s seamless transfer.

Another issue I am having is the wifi keeps dropping out and the handover from one satellite to the other seems to drop connections for ~5 seconds. Both are expedited if I am on Zoom callls.

Thanks again for your help.
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Both are within 30ft, however the house is all double brick wall internally" Possible that brick will impact the signal coverage and cause wifi conenction problems. So if you an get the 2nd RBR setup in AP mode ethernet connected to the 1st RBR, this may help you. 

The 2nd RBR doesn't support working like a RBS. It will only work as the main router and wifi or in AP mode having its own SSID name which can be connected to the 1st RBR via ethernet. 

Message 4 of 6
ChrisChu20
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply.

Would the double brick also explain the connection drop when change from one satellite to the other?
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably yes. Singal for the connecting device is probably low or noisy and the device and connection takes a bit longer than expected...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7