Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK852 - Lock Down Wifi Network?

RBK852 - Lock Down Wifi Network?

Hello, new Orbi owner here!  So far very happy with the speeds, but I do have a question:  The last time I had an Orbi years ago, MAC filtering existed in the web interface. When I go to Advanced -> Security -> Access Control, I get the message "To use Access Control, please use the Orbi App."  However, I don't see any option for MAC filtering in the app.

What I'm trying to do is lock down the main wifi network to just the devices I have, so the kids can only share the guest network to their friends etc when they visit.  Doesn't have to be MAC filtering, just whatever the equivalent would be in the current firmware (V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 in my case).

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Mac filtering is not supporting on Orbi app. By device and IP only I believe. 

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi App product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi App and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you

Message 2 of 9

Thanks, I had a feeling that was the case.  Is there any way to prevent any further devices from being added to the wifi network (i.e. if the device doesn't already exist, it won't allow others to connect)?

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I dont' believe so. Having apps like Armor would help notify you if a new device being connected or got connected I believe. 

Something to check on over in the Armor foum if want too:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor
https://www.netgear.com/landings/armor

The few times I used Armor I saw notifications of new devices had connected. I don't use it much since my household is all adults. 

If your finding un-authorized devices connecting to the system, you might start finding out where and why these are being connected. Is the SSID password being given out when it shouldn't be? Might change the PW and both SSID and PW and see if something changes...user complaints? 

Message 4 of 9

Thanks.  I have Netgear Armor so I get the notifications.  To answer your other question, it would be my kids giving the main wifi SSID out (sharing it from iPhone, etc.) when they have friends over.  Sometimes they just forget to give the guest info out (as its very easy to just share the wifi from an iphone, which on my kids' devices would be the main network).

Id be interested in your thoughts on this workaround:  I also have Parental Controls (Really just to filter some apps and such).  I wonder if I can move all of my "approved" network devices to a new Profile, and set the default "Home" profile with full restrictions (i.e. not allow any internet use).  This way, any new device joining the main network would be essentially blocked from doing anything until I add them to one of the other profiles.  Not exactly VLAN tagging from a security perspective, but it should keep the kids from sharing out the main network 🙂  Thoughts?

Message 5 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@TheGrumpyGent wrote:

What I'm trying to do is lock down the main wifi network to just the devices I have, so the kids can only share the guest network to their friends etc when they visit.  Doesn't have to be MAC filtering, just whatever the equivalent would be in the current firmware (V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 in my case).

Would you mind confirming whether Parental Controls are enabled on this new Orbi system?

(My old RBR50 has never used Parental Controls and I can attest that Access Control remains available as always.  I'd like to know if this "Please use the app..." situation is a result of (a) enabling Parental Controls, or (b) the new AX model being 'different'.)

I am also uncertain whether enabling Access Control with "Block new devices" applies to the guest WiFi network.  I can test that some time, but since you have no Access Control at all, the results would  not be useful.

Is there a reason the kids cannot be trusted to share only the guest WiFi credentials with their friends?  You could change the primary WiFi password and force the kids to use only the guest WiFi for their own devices.  If they don't know the password, then they can't share it.

Message 6 of 9

@CrimpOn wrote:

@TheGrumpyGent wrote:

Would you mind confirming whether Parental Controls are enabled on this new Orbi system?

(My old RBR50 has never used Parental Controls and I can attest that Access Control remains available as always.  I'd like to know if this "Please use the app..." situation is a result of (a) enabling Parental Controls, or (b) the new AX model being 'different'.)

I am also uncertain whether enabling Access Control with "Block new devices" applies to the guest WiFi network.  I can test that some time, but since you have no Access Control at all, the results would  not be useful.

Is there a reason the kids cannot be trusted to share only the guest WiFi credentials with their friends?  You could change the primary WiFi password and force the kids to use only the guest WiFi for their own devices.  If they don't know the password, then they can't share it.

I do have Parental Controls active on the Orbi.  I don't see any option to "Block new devices" (which would definitely solve what I'm looking for).

I may not have been clear - I trust the kids to share the guest wifi as much as they want, they have accidentally given out the main wifi network in the past (its easy to share a wifi network from an iphone).  I just want to lock down new devices on my main wifi network.

Message 7 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@TheGrumpyGent wrote:

I do have Parental Controls active on the Orbi.  I don't see any option to "Block new devices" (which would definitely solve what I'm looking for).

I may not have been clear - I trust the kids to share the guest wifi as much as they want, they have accidentally given out the main wifi network in the past (its easy to share a wifi network from an iphone).  I just want to lock down new devices on my main wifi network.

So, it remains unknown whether Parental Controls has disabled Access Control or whether the new Orbi model doesn't have Access Control to begin with.

Maybe the kids would be open to "It is so easy to accidentally share our home WiFi password on iPhones, if you 'forget' the WiFi and connect to the Guest WiFi instead, then that can't happen any more. Your iPhone will still work great, and Grumpy Dad will not be anxious any more."

Message 8 of 9

@CrimpOn wrote:

@TheGrumpyGent wrote:

Maybe the kids would be open to "It is so easy to accidentally share our home WiFi password on iPhones, if you 'forget' the WiFi and connect to the Guest WiFi instead, then that can't happen any more. Your iPhone will still work great, and Grumpy Dad will not be anxious any more."

Well, Grumpy Dad will be grumpy anyway... 🙂

Considering its new, and I paid for both Parental Controls and Armor I'd hope I'd have at least a little control in this regard.  Dropping the kids off the main network would mess up any connectivity to IoT devices such as the TV (streaming) etc.  I may research what you just mentioned about Parental Controls - I really don't need them, so if that's what it takes to return Access Control to the Orbi that's fine by me.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7