Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK852 devices connected through ethernet ports are slow.

DoctorA
Luminary

RBK852 devices connected through ethernet ports are slow.

It is encouraging that some people are using this new system without any major bugs.

Thank you  FURRYe38 all other for your contribution.

My laptop or desktop connected through ethernet ports of both Router and the Satellite are slow. Instead of 950 Mbps before, I only get 200Mbps wired. Wirelessly I am very happy. On iphone Xs max I get 650 Mbps in different rooms where the router and satellite are connected together with wire.

I updated automatically to the new firmware version of 3.1.5.23.

The Router's WAN port is connected ATT 's Arris BGW 210 RGW  in pass through mode. I have not disabled ATT router's wireless yet. When I connect the laptop to the back of the ATT's RGW I get Gigbps speeds. If I can't fix this problem, was thinking connecting all the wired devices to RGW and all the wireless devices  to this mesh system. Is there any problems doing that?

I need to add 1 RB50Y outdoor wired to my exsisting RBS852 satellite for my outdoor devices 65 feet away from the house.

I have a 7000 sq ft 3 story home  and may need an extra AX6000 satellite.

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
DoctorA
Luminary

Re: RBK852 devices connected through ethernet ports are slow. Solved!

Problem solved. 

Connecting the ethernet wire from RBR 850 to RBS 850 must be the last step of the set up.

First I made sure the RBR setup is complet while RBS is not connected to the power. Connection speeds: Laptop wired: 950Mbps, I-phone XmaxS 650 Mbps in the same room.

Then I factory reseted the RBS and synced wirelessly with RBR 35 feet away.

After the Blue light on RBS is turned off and my  I-phone Xs Max showed 400 Mbps, then I connected the in wall Cat 6 Ethernet wire from the cenral room where ONT, RGW and RBR 850 are. The wired backhaul method gave higher wifi speeds than the wireless  backhaul. On I-phone Xs Max I got 600-650  Mbps. All the devices connected to the back of RBS are fine and my HTPC desktop  2 floors down gets 950-1000 Mbps.

My phone still gets 250 Mbps 2 floors away. Is this sattelite stronger than RBS50?

This 2 node system covers 5000sq f

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 17

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Re: RBK852 devices connected through ethernet ports are slow.

@DoctorA wrote:

My laptop or desktop connected through ethernet ports of both Router and the Satellite are slow. Instead of 950 Mbps before, I only get 200Mbps wired. Wirelessly I am very happy. On iphone Xs max I get 650 Mbps in different rooms where the router and satellite are connected together with wire.

If the wireless clients connected to the router or to the satellite are making this speed, it looks like the poor wired LAN performance on both the router and the sat on must be a bug. As with other users having deployed Orni AX with a wired backhaul suffering from poor throughout, it appears the Beta was mainly wireless backhaul oriented.

@DoctorA wrote:

The Router's WAN port is connected ATT 's Arris BGW 210 RGW  in pass through mode. ... If I can't fix this problem, was thinking connecting all the wired devices to RGW and all the wireless devices  to this mesh system. 

With the Orbi Router in router/NAT mode, there would be two different networks. With the ATT device in pass-through mode you will only get one (or a very low number of (public) IP addresses assigned. The approach would be using the expensive Orbi AX in wireless AP mode, and enable the routing/NAT on the ATT device again.

@DoctorA wrote:

I need to add 1 RB50Y outdoor wired to my exsisting RBS852 satellite for my outdoor devices 65 feet away from the house.

The RBS50Y can't be (Ethernet) wired - it is a pure wireless satellite - I'm afraid.

PS: Great documentation showing cabling and layout - saves a lot of questions!

Message 2 of 17
DoctorA
Luminary

@schumaku wrote:

@DoctorA wrote:

If the wireless clients connected to the router or to the satellite are making this speed, it looks like the poor wired LAN performance on both the router and the sat on must be a bug. As with other users having deployed Orni AX with a wired backhaul suffering from poor throughout, it appears the Beta was mainly wireless backhaul oriented.

With the Orbi Router in router/NAT mode, there would be two different networks. With the ATT device in pass-through mode you will only get one (or a very low number of (public) IP addresses assigned. The approach would be using the expensive Orbi AX in wireless AP mode, and enable the routing/NAT on the ATT device again.

The RBS50Y can't be (Ethernet) wired - it is a pure wireless satellite - I'm afraid.

PS: Great documentation showing cabling and layout - saves a lot of questions!

Thank you very much for your help. I disconnected the wire between the Orbi router and the satellite and everything wireless is working fine. Also the laptop pysically connected to the Router with a short ethernet wire performed at 950 Mbps after eliminating RBR to RBS wire connecting LAN signals from ONT/ RGW room to the master bedroom. I tested that wire again and it is capable of Gigabit speeds and there is no managed nor dumb switch involved. All this points to possible bug in the wired backhaul like you mentioned. This, plus your suggestion to use this indeed "expensive'' system as only AP and your new information that the RBS50Y is only wireles made me to decide to get another system. I need a mesh system with 1 Router and 3 satellites in AP mode. I have 4 CAT6 jacks in my home. Perhaps AC3000 (RBK53)  and one RBS 50. it will cost less with more coverage.

I hope there are no bugs in this 1 year old system. Any suggestions?

I have 4 AirTies 4920 mesh extenders with  my Att RGW Aris BGW 210 and they can't handle all my family's devices.

Thank you

Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

What are you speed if you configure the RBR in AP mode with the ISP modem in router mode with ALL of it's WiFi disabled? 

@DoctorA wrote:

It is encouraging that some people are using this new system without any major bugs.

Thank you  FURRYe38 all other for your contribution.

I updated automatically to the new firmware version of 3.1.5.23.

The Router's WAN port is connected ATT 's Arris BGW 210 RGW  in pass through mode. I have not disabled ATT router's wireless yet. When I connect the laptop to the back of the ATT's RGW I get Gigbps speeds. If I can't fix this problem, was thinking connecting all the wired devices to RGW and all the wireless devices  to this mesh system. Is there any problems doing that?

I have a 7000 sq ft 3 story home  and may need an extra AX6000 satellite.

Message 4 of 17
DoctorA
Luminary

My RGW is in pass trough mode allready.

My neighbor has the same identical settings but with older Netgear AC3000 (RBK53) system and speeds are aronound 950 wired and 600 Mbps wirelessly.

I will keep the same settings and try with that model soon and report back. 

Message 5 of 17
DoctorA
Luminary

I forgot to add that I selected the mac address of the RBR 850 automatically from dropdown menu of the ATT RGW pass trough page. The last number of that address is one digit higher than the physical number on the bottom of the  RBR 850. Is this normal?

Message 6 of 17
schumaku
Guru

@DoctorA wrote:

This, plus your suggestion to use this indeed "expensive'' system as only AP and your new information that the RBS50Y is only wireles made me to decide to get another system. I need a mesh system with 1 Router and 3 satellites in AP mode. 

I'm convinced that the RBK852 system will grow up and the firmware will be enhanced over time. 

@DoctorA wrote:
I have 4 CAT6 jacks in my home. Perhaps AC3000 (RBK53)  and one RBS 50. it will cost less with more coverage.

Are these CAT6 jacks all wired to direct the central room where the ATT RGW device is located? You might want to look into Netgear's Insight offerings for example, run some "core" switch there (PoE if some rooms require only a wireless AP), and a small Insight cloud manageable switch and an AP where you need both GbE ports and a WAC.

Message 7 of 17
DoctorA
Luminary

@schumaku wrote:

@DoctorA wrote:
I have 4 CAT6 jacks in my home. Perhaps AC3000 (RBK53)  and one RBS 50. it will cost less with more coverage.

Are these CAT6 jacks all wired to direct the central room where the ATT RGW device is located? You might want to look into Netgear's Insight offerings for example, run some "core" switch there (PoE if some rooms require only a wireless AP), and a small Insight cloud manageable switch and an AP where you need both GbE ports and a WAC.

@DoctorA wrote:

The "central" room is in the left corner of the 3rd floor. There are only 2 direct CAT6 wires there for the whole house.

One wire goes to the left of the 2nd floor where it connects to NETGEAR Unmanaged Switch (GS305) for my 5 AV equipments.

The second wire goes from the central room to Master bedroom where there is another NETGEAR Unmanaged Switch (GS105NA)  where the RBS 850 is now.  If RBS 850 was working properly I was hoping to get rid of the switch.  From that switch there are wires in star formation to the 3rd floor balcony , 3rd floor computer room and then 1st floor theater room. 

Message 8 of 17
DoctorA
Luminary

Thank you schumaku and others.

The "central" room is in the left corner of the 3rd floor. There are only 2 direct CAT6 wires there for the whole house.

One wire goes to the left of the 2nd floor where it connects to NETGEAR Unmanaged Switch (GS305) for my 5 AV equipments.

The second wire goes from the central room to Master bedroom where there is another NETGEAR Unmanaged Switch (GS105NA)  where the RBS 850 is now.  If RBS 850 was working properly I was hoping to get rid of the switch.  From that switch there are wires in star formation to the 3rd floor balcony , 3rd floor computer room and then 1st floor theater room. 

$700 satellite, wired can't function like a $30 dumb switch. Patiently waiting for the next firmware update because I like the 650 Mbs speed and coverage of this 2 nodes system. I don't have RBK 50 system to compair but the wireless signal is amazing. From 650 Mbps on the 3rd floor near RBR or RBS speed drops to 350- 400 Mbps second floor going trough tile floors and multiple walls. On the first floor 200 Mbps under 3rd floor satellite and dropping to 10 to 20s but no dead zone in the most difficult zones with concrete walls on 1 side. In the backyard there is no dead zones even at 100 feet away from the building and 150Mbps at 50 feet.

Can RBK 50 do this?

Message 9 of 17
DoctorA
Luminary

Is this double NAT condition?

RGW is in passthrough mode and NAT server is off and wifi antennas are off.

Message 10 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

You would need to input the IP address that the RBR gets from the modem router in to the Default Internal Server box if you want to run the RBR in router mode with the modem. 

Message 11 of 17
DoctorA
Luminary

Thank you

I can't input the IP address in pass through mode. It is grayed out on ATT pass through mode page.

After puting the ATT in pass through mode it automatically recognizes the RBR's mac address and fills out the box after I select it from the list. The  last digit of this mac address is 9 but on the bottom of the orbi RBR everything is the same except the last digit is 8. why is it different and which mac address should I put? Manually or from dropdown menu?

Message 12 of 17
schumaku
Guru

@DoctorA wrote:

After puting the ATT in pass through mode it automatically recognizes the RBR's mac address and fills out the box after I select it from the list.

Perfectly correct.

@DoctorA wrote:

The  last digit of this mac address is 9 but on the bottom of the orbi RBR everything is the same except the last digit is 8. why is it different and which mac address should I put? Manually or from dropdown menu?

Netgear does print the router LAN MAC on the label - multiple router interfaces must have have a slightly different MAC, typically -1. So you have to use the automatically recognized one (or manually enter the same - not the LAN MAC!).

Message 13 of 17
DoctorA
Luminary

Problem solved. 

Connecting the ethernet wire from RBR 850 to RBS 850 must be the last step of the set up.

First I made sure the RBR setup is complet while RBS is not connected to the power. Connection speeds: Laptop wired: 950Mbps, I-phone XmaxS 650 Mbps in the same room.

Then I factory reseted the RBS and synced wirelessly with RBR 35 feet away.

After the Blue light on RBS is turned off and my  I-phone Xs Max showed 400 Mbps, then I connected the in wall Cat 6 Ethernet wire from the cenral room where ONT, RGW and RBR 850 are. The wired backhaul method gave higher wifi speeds than the wireless  backhaul. On I-phone Xs Max I got 600-650  Mbps. All the devices connected to the back of RBS are fine and my HTPC desktop  2 floors down gets 950-1000 Mbps.

My phone still gets 250 Mbps 2 floors away. Is this sattelite stronger than RBS50?

This 2 node system covers 5000sq f

Message 14 of 17
DoctorA
Luminary

Message 15 of 17
DoctorA
Luminary

Message 16 of 17
DoctorA
Luminary

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7