Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK852 packet loss on Zoom / FaceTime / internet dropping

houtany
Tutor

RBK852 packet loss on Zoom / FaceTime / internet dropping

My RBK852 system is experiencing random packet loss (over 80%) when on Zoom or FaceTime on my iMac (latest model) or iPhone 12 Pro - both runing latest operating systems), and it also randomly drops internet.

The satellite is in my office which is about 30-40 feet from the router which is centrally located in my house.  The house is 3,000 sq.ft. and only one story.  Speedtests via the router settings is over 900mb download (router wired to modem) and around 420mb download on iPhone 12 Pro (wifi) and same on my iMac which is wired to the satellite via ethernet.  

Both router and satellite are running v3.2.18.1_1.4.14 firmware.   I've tried the following:

1. power cycling modem then RBR / RBS (in the proper order, etc.)
  2. Upgrading both RBR and RBS to firmware V3.2.18.1_1.4.14
  3.  disabling SIG ALP
  4.  disabling 2.4ghz AX
  5.  disabling 20/40mhz coexistence
  6.  setting NAT Filtering to Open
  7.  assigning manual IP to both iMac and iPhone via router reservation + client network settings
  8.  changing DNS to 1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1 / 8.8.8.8 / 4.4.4.4 in router settings and also on the client devices
  9.  changing channels to channels with less interference using WiFi Explorer (2.4ghz on CH6 and 5ghz CH48) 
  10.  disabling daylight savings time setting for router
  11.  updating NTP server to cloudfare's NTP
  12. setting CTS to 2347
  13. disabling IPv6
  14. disabling Traffic Meter

Generally, it works fine except when on FaceTime or Zoom call which initiallly work then lag and drop.  My PS4 tends to get no more than a fair connection when playing NHL21 as well although the WiFi signal is shown to be 100% in the PS4 settings.

It seems many people are having this issue, but I was not able to find any clear solution.   I would appreciate any help! I have contacted NG support as well. Thanks!

Message 1 of 25
tak1313
Luminary

I don't see a mention of your WMM setting.  It's Orbi's REALLY basic version of QOS that somewhat prioritizes wifi voice/video traffic.  Make sure it's on.  If it is on, it's s*cky enough to not work well enough in your environment.

I switched to using mine as a wireless AP for my Asus router because Asus routers do a SIGNIFICANTLY better job at actual routing AND gives better control of QOS, AND has protection AND parental controls for FREE.

My bufferbloat went from C/D routing through the Orbi to A+/A routing through the Asus using only basic QOS settings.

Message 2 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

Try moving the RBS closer to the RBR. Try 30 feet. Try to get a more accurrate distance measurment if possible. 

@houtany wrote:

My RBK852 system is experiencing random packet loss (over 80%) when on Zoom or FaceTime on my iMac (latest model) or iPhone 12 Pro - both runing latest operating systems), and it also randomly drops internet.

The satellite is in my office which is about 30-40 feet from the router which is centrally located in my house.  The house is 3,000 sq.ft. and only one story.  Speedtests via the router settings is over 900mb download (router wired to modem) and around 420mb download on iPhone 12 Pro (wifi) and same on my iMac which is wired to the satellite via ethernet.  

Both router and satellite are running v3.2.18.1_1.4.14 firmware.   I've tried the following:

3.  disabling SIG ALP
  4.  disabling 2.4ghz AX
  7.  assigning manual IP to both iMac and iPhone via router reservation + client network settings
  8.  changing DNS to 1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1 / 8.8.8.8 / 4.4.4.4 in router settings and also on the client devices
  9.  changing channels to channels with less interference using WiFi Explorer (2.4ghz on CH6 and 5ghz CH48) 
  10.  disabling daylight savings time setting for router
  12. setting CTS to 2347
  13. disabling IPv6

Generally, it works fine except when on FaceTime or Zoom call which initiallly work then lag and drop.  My PS4 tends to get no more than a fair connection when playing NHL21 as well although the WiFi signal is shown to be 100% in the PS4 settings.

It seems many people are having this issue, but I was not able to find any clear solution.   I would appreciate any help! I have contacted NG support as well. Thanks!

Message 3 of 25
houtany
Tutor

WMM is on for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

Which Asus router are you using?

Message 4 of 25
tak1313
Luminary

I use my old RT-AC68U which does great - especially since my incoming is only 100mbps (I believe it would do great to at least a 500mbps service - not so sure about gig service).

Bufferbloat is an underlying problem for a lot of issues with gaming and internet calling/video conference.  The Asus' UI has a simple priotization setting based on the type of traffic (one category is actually "work from home," which includes activites such as video conferencing). 

On top of that, you can limit outbound and inbound speeds.  It may take a little tinkering to get the best settings.  I only had to set my limits at about 95% of max speed in/out to go from the C/D to the A+/A on bufferbloat.

The Orbi with WMM enabled essentially did nothing.

Message 5 of 25
houtany
Tutor

• It is a Technicolor TC4400 which I am now considering to switch to Arris S33 today.  My ISP is Spectrum and I have the 1Gbit plan. 
  • 2.4ghz is on channel 6 and 5ghz is on channel 48.
  • Using an AR measuring app, from the satellite to router is closer to 30' (around 28' and some change)

Netgear emailed me back and said to change the MTU to 1479 and to downgrade the router's firmware to v3.2.17.12.  I asked them if they also want me to downgrade the satellite - I assume yes, but I want to be sure first.

So far I did change the MTU but the problem persists.  I will downgrade the firmware and post an update. 

Message 6 of 25
houtany
Tutor

Any recommendations for a 1gbit capable Asus router that has the same feature you mentioned? 

Message 7 of 25
tak1313
Luminary

O

I

What you are looking for is "wan to lan" throughput.  Although the 68u does well, the RT-AC86U is even greater for this purpose in an AC router.  If you're going to use it just as a ROUTER and not for wifi (turning off the radios), it will be all that you need.  I believe it does 938mbps wan to lan via tps.  Since you're not looking for max capability wifi wise (since you'd be using Orbi as the AP), I would find a used on for short money.  If you want to go other brands, this list might help you.  It's not super up to date, but may point you in the right direction.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/bar/179-wan-to-lan-tcp/35

I also have an Edgrouter Lite which would actually be a bit faster for this purpose (941mbps), but for what I need/want, the 68U has been great.  The Edgrouter would take a lot more work with settings, but is TECHNICALLY way more flexible.  The problem for most is that it's more complicated to use because of that flexibility.  With the Asus, it's just a button here, a setting there, and I'm all set.

Message 8 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, downgrade both RBS and RBR. RBS first, the RBR lastly. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Message 9 of 25
houtany
Tutor

It took about 3 tries but the router finally downgraded. The satellite downgraded on the first try.

Will test it out with FaceTime and Zoom over next couple of days.
Message 10 of 25
houtany
Tutor

Ok so it's definitely the satellite causing the packet loss FaceTime works perfectly when iPhone is connected to the router. When I go into the office and iPhone switches to the satellite, packet loss starts and other side can't see or hear me. Freezes and such. Zoom is the same. Any ideas?
Message 11 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

Try moving the RBS closer to the RBR. Try 30 feet. Try to get a more accurrate distance measurment if possible. 

IF you feel the RBS is faulty, make contact with NG support and ask about a replacement. 

Message 12 of 25
houtany
Tutor

• It is a Technicolor TC4400 which I am now considering to switch to Arris S33.  My ISP is Spectrum and I have the 1Gbit plan. 
  • 2.4ghz is on channel 6 and 5ghz is on channel 48.

Using an AR measuring app, from the satellite to router is closer to 30' (around 28' and some change)

@FURRYe38 wrote:

IF you feel the RBS is faulty, make contact with NG support and ask about a replacement. 

It doesn't seem to make much sense that the RBS provides 400Mbps of speed on WiFi but only drops packets on Zoom/FaceTime, whereas the RBR provides the same without the packet loss on Zoom/FaceTime, especially now that the firmware is downgraded and all the settings are tweaked per recommendations of everyone here, NG support,  and my own tinkering.  

NG support did say to wait up to 24 hours so I will see how it is tomorrow, but I will report today's results and see what they say.  Thanks so much again!

Message 13 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

@houtany wrote:

Try downgrading to v22? 

3.  disabling SIG ALP< This should be enabled.
  4.  disabling 2.4ghz AX< Does disabling AX on 5Ghz do anything? 
  8.  changing DNS to 1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1 / 8.8.8.8 / 4.4.4.4 in router settings and also on the client devices< Try using ISP DNS?
  9.  changing channels to channels with less interference using WiFi Explorer (2.4ghz on CH6 and 5ghz CH48) <Try channel 40? 
  10.  disabling daylight savings time setting for router<This should be enabled.
  12. setting CTS to 2347< Try 500? 
  13. disabling IPv6

Message 14 of 25
tak1313
Luminary

I still think your underlying problem is bufferbloat.  Many times people have such problems and think they need to get a faster service, but in reality, it's bufferbloat.  This shows up most readily with gaming and activities such as facetime and zoom.

https://evenroute.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360045162413-Optimizing-for-Zoom-conferencing

This is one the main reasons I switched my Orbi to AP mode with my Asus as router.  The Orbi (for wifi) does exceedingly well for my purpose, but the Asus blows the Orbi away in terms of controls - including QOS.  As fast as the Orbi is overall, I still experienced stuttering with Cisco Jabber.  After switching to the Asus for routing and adjusting QOS as stated earlier, I no longer have the issue.

You can check your bufferbloat on sites such as

https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat

or

https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Don't depend on sites such as speedtest.net or fast.com as those are just simple speed tests and do not truly test for bufferbloat.

Message 15 of 25
houtany
Tutor

@tak1313 wrote:

I still think your underlying problem is bufferbloat.  Many times people have such problems and think they need to get a faster service, but in reality, it's bufferbloat.  This shows up most readily with gaming and activities such as facetime and zoom.

https://evenroute.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360045162413-Optimizing-for-Zoom-conferencing

This is one the main reasons I switched my Orbi to AP mode with my Asus as router.  The Orbi (for wifi) does exceedingly well for my purpose, but the Asus blows the Orbi away in terms of controls - including QOS.  As fast as the Orbi is overall, I still experienced stuttering with Cisco Jabber.  After switching to the Asus for routing and adjusting QOS as stated earlier, I no longer have the issue.

You can check your bufferbloat on sites such as

https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat

or

https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Don't depend on sites such as speedtest.net or fast.com as those are just simple speed tests and do not truly test for bufferbloat.

You are right.  I just tried the waveform.com test and I got a F.  And it is exactly latency that I feel is happening during all activities, whether streaming or video calls.   Mind you, I did the test with the RBS unplugged from power and I am connected via WiFi from my iMac to the RBR which is 30 ft away, but I expect the exact same results with the RBS which I will try and report back now. 

Results: https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=a3653a63-cb88-439f-bc3e-d13be25273e4

Message 16 of 25
houtany
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@houtany wrote:

Try downgrading to v22? 

3.  disabling SIG ALP< This should be enabled.
  4.  disabling 2.4ghz AX< Does disabling AX on 5Ghz do anything? 
  8.  changing DNS to 1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1 / 8.8.8.8 / 4.4.4.4 in router settings and also on the client devices< Try using ISP DNS?
  9.  changing channels to channels with less interference using WiFi Explorer (2.4ghz on CH6 and 5ghz CH48) <Try channel 40? 
  10.  disabling daylight savings time setting for router<This should be enabled.
  12. setting CTS to 2347< Try 500? 
  13. disabling IPv6

It was doing this with all the default settings,  including ISP's DNS, other channels, and I read DST was a firmware bug that may cause it, but doesn't seem to be the case. I also read on many sources that SIP ALG is terrible for video calls and it affects the packet transmission but I am sure you know better than me.  But I feel it is the blufferbloat issue that's being pointed out and the test results seem to confirm that.

Message 17 of 25
tak1313
Luminary

Yeah.  I don't know what WMM is SUPPOSED to do.  I think it's supposed to do some QOS, but if it's doing ANYTHING AT ALL, it really s*cks at it - like a lot of Orbi controls.

When I decided to try mesh, I should have stayed with Asus and gone with their AiMesh system.  Oh well, not wanting to waste money, I will stick with this set up until it's time to move on equipement wise, which for me is oddly frequently - at least that's what my wife complains about.  I have to take some insignificant problem and make like it's a really big deal, so I have get new stuff to fix the issue.

Netgear has really let me down, and I'm done with them on any future upgrades.

Message 18 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

DST has nothing to do with that your seeing. 

I recommend contacting NG support and get there help. Ask about a RMA relacement for the RBS if you have narrowed down the problem at the RBS. 

@houtany 

Message 19 of 25
tak1313
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

DST has nothing to do with that your seeing. 

I recommend contacting NG support and get there help. Ask about a RMA relacement for the RBS if you have narrowed down the problem at the RBS. 

@houtany 

The test where he got the "F" was performed sans satellite and through the main router.  I suspect there are other loads coming from elsewhere in the network, but Orbi doesn't allow for enough control of traffic/traffic types except for WMM...which s*cks (if it's doing anything at all).

I think the WMM box is like the "press button to cross" at cross walks - just something to pacify the pedestrian into thinking something is happening.

Message 20 of 25
houtany
Tutor

Yeah, I'm convinced it is bufferfloat.  I ordered a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro which is one of the most powerful available that can handle a 1Gbit connection.  I will use the Orbi as APs. I will keep you guys posted!

Message 21 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

For testing this, he should run the DSLR test with a wired PC connected to the ISP MODEM/ONT directly with out the RBR. Then run another with the RBR in line. I would not test with the RBS as that and the wifi process may introduce inaccurate results. Theres already alot going on between the RBR and RBS and many variables in wifi that will contribute to innacruate test results. Why testing wired first is always best. 

Message 22 of 25
tak1313
Luminary

I would also test a direct connection to the modem just to make sure it's not actually a problem withe the connection to the house itself.  But more than likely, it's some kind of bufferbloat problem that may be caused by something in your network eating up bandwidth and the Orbi (with it's s*cky qos ability) not being able to control/handle the priority.

The Ubiquity is a nice unit, but I personally wouldn't spend that kind of money on such enterprise grade stuff for the home - especially where there are cheaper Ubiquiti stuff (if you want to go that route) that is perfectly acceptable for home networks.  But I'm sqeaky tight.  For most things I always buy used unless I can get a deal on new.  If you give me something for free, I'm going to take it even if I have no use for it - just because it's free.

Message 23 of 25
kolella
Apprentice

do you experience the same packet loss pinging the satellite and the router or just the remote address?
Message 24 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe Owner40 is a spammer with the hidden link. 

@kolella wrote:
do you experience the same packet loss pinging the satellite and the router or just the remote address?

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7