Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK852 query on backhaul status

Kielty
Star

RBK852 query on backhaul status

I have a fibre connection to my Orbi system 300 DL 50 UL and my system is configured as such..

Router - wireless to Sat 1 which is subsequently wired to Sat 2, Sat 2 is not in wireless range of either router or Sat 1.

To get this to work in the proper configuration i boot in this order - router, Sat 1 and then Sat 2

This shows in the Orbi app as wireless backhaul (green) to router for Sat 1, wired backhaul for Sat 2 to to Sat 1 (green)

I get full wireless speeds 300 DL 50 UL to appropriate devices whilst connected to the router and both Satellites.

The problem - when i log into the router interface routerlogin.net it shows backhaul poor between Sat 1 and the router over 5G. The link is green on the orbi app. I have no degradation in system performance anywhere, full speeds and no disconnects. No lights on any satellite or router.

Is this a bug in the router interface?

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like the signal and status is right on the boarder of good and poor and where your debarcation is for the ethernet to the RBS2. You can possible extend the LAN cable from the newer location of RBS1 to the wall jack? Or is this one cable out to the RBS2 one long length? 

There are simple LAN cable barrel connectors that would work as well to add on a longer cable section to whats in place now so you can move the RBS1 to the better location. 

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 13

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)?

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Message 2 of 13
Kielty
Star

about 35 ft from router to Sat 1 and then another 50ft on to sat 2 from sat 1. Is the router somehow getting confused as to wireless from Sat 2?

i will switch off sat 2 and see if the backhaul status changes and report back..

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 4 of 13
Kielty
Star

thanks FURRYe38 - didn't make any difference. Must be just on the edge of the range.

As long as its not causing any issues i will leave as is!!

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

So the status with RBS2 off reports Poor or Good on the RBS1? 

Message 6 of 13
Kielty
Star

Still reports as poor although no lights. I rebooted RBS1 whilst 2 was off. Reconnected wirelessly and blue LED. In the router management page still showed 5G poor backhaul.
Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you move RBS1 closer to the RBR? Say 5-10feet? 

What happens if you swap RBS1 for RBS2? Same status result? 

Message 8 of 13
Kielty
Star

Moved a bit closer backhaul is good. Not sure why the LED doesn’t show a poor connection.
Message 9 of 13
Kielty
Star

Problem is I need to wire RBS2 into the RBS1 and unfortunately the Ethernet cable is currently in a specific position.
Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like the signal and status is right on the boarder of good and poor and where your debarcation is for the ethernet to the RBS2. You can possible extend the LAN cable from the newer location of RBS1 to the wall jack? Or is this one cable out to the RBS2 one long length? 

There are simple LAN cable barrel connectors that would work as well to add on a longer cable section to whats in place now so you can move the RBS1 to the better location. 

Message 11 of 13
Kielty
Star

Yeah I think that’s the best option..
Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad this was a simple distance/placement resolution. Smiley Wink

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7