Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK852 useless after latest firmware update!

RBK852 useless after latest firmware update!

Did anyone else experience a complete nightmare with the latest firmware (4.6.3.16_2.0.51) on the RBK852 / RBK853?

It completely crashed my whole system. First the satellites disapeared. Then I did a full "new system" setup. It rebooted into Router Mode and everything was back to normal then I switched back into AP Mode (which I need) and once again no satellites!

This is really a big problem. I'm very frustrated with Netgear! I am more and more convinced that Ubiquiti Access Points are the real solution here.

Does anyone have a similar situation with a workable solution. If you haven't "upgraded to v4 firmware....Don't.

Message 1 of 25
belissaorganic
Aspirant

Belissa Organic is the herbal product company providing best quality of herbal & organic products which includes skin, hair, nail and health care products. Our goal is to provide our customers best quality of products at a very flexible rate.

Our best pure organic moringa powder is very beneficial for our skin to prevent acne pimples , nourish skin , control blood pressure , make bones healthy and strong, help lose weight, and treat diabetes. 

Also, we have one more beneficial product. Shilajeet for Men has a lot of benefits. This herb has multiple health benefits to women as well.

Message 2 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and RBS and power them off for 2 minutes. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser. Leave off the RBS for now. Just complete the RBR setup.

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 3 of 25

I did all of this. I am currently running it without the satellites, which is a pain in the ass.

Message 4 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

And what happens if you turn 1 RBS on? 

Message 5 of 25

Nothing.

It no longer recognizes it and I cannot add it. Then the whole system slows down to a crawl.

Message 6 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have a upstream router infront of the RBR? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 7 of 25

This is the same exact set up I've had for the last 6 months with my Netgear 852 without a problem and 5 years prior in the same set up. I don't know the model of the modem. It's a Genesis glass fibre model. Nothing in my system has changed EXCEPT the firmware update which has a definite issue. Many people reporting this.

Message 8 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

So you mentioned that you had switched to AP mode? Did the RBR work in this mode? 

No change of checking out the modem mfr and model#? 

Message 9 of 25

Now? No, it no longer works or can even be found in AP mode.

The modem is a Genexis 7840. I have used three other routers and the NG in AP mode for years. This problem started as soon as the firmware was updated. Never a hint of an issue prior. It has to do with the "security" updates they made in the firmware. I am quite certain.  

Message 10 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you block NGs autoupdate services on your host router then downgrade back to v3:

http.fw.updates1.netgear.com

updates1.netgear.com

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2130584#M185...

Message 11 of 25

I would love to but from everything I read, this is not possible. Also, I am on a Mac not Windows.

Message 12 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you load up FireFox or Opera on your Mac?

It's possible...I tried this last night however not on my Mac...Mac FireFox or Opera should work...

Message 13 of 25

I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Message 14 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 15 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Were you able to do this? 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Can you load up FireFox or Opera on your Mac?

It's possible...I tried this last night however not on my Mac...Mac FireFox or Opera should work...

Message 16 of 25

So some updates and findings. I have not attempted to rollback the firmware but may give it a go this weekend while internet access is not as critical for business.

Here is what I have found:

- The satellite is discoverable only with a wireless backhaul. Once the satellite plugged into the main Orbi router it ceases to function.

- The satellite is discoverable in Router mode during setup, but not in AP mode.

- The entire system is flaky now. After 2 full resets and building the network again the latest firmware update has left the system much less reliable than it was previously.

Why does Netgear continue to ignore this situation? It seems to be directly related to the problems many other are reporting with the RBK752 / RBK753 firmware.

Message 17 of 25
rr20552
Apprentice

Totally agree about the performance / satellite issues with this latest release.

I even fed this back whilst it was in beta and NG still pushed it out.

Personally I’m now looking at alternatives and fully intend to take NG to the small claims court (UK) for the full purchase price.

I’ve had nothing but hassle and it’s getting worse not better.
Message 18 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Try reverting back. I was able to on mine. I contacted the user who posted about reverting back, about his experiences with his since he rolled his back and his is working. 

@Kevin923846 wrote:

So some updates and findings. I have not attempted to rollback the firmware but may give it a go this weekend while internet access is not as critical for business.

Here is what I have found:

- The satellite is discoverable only with a wireless backhaul. Once the satellite plugged into the main Orbi router it ceases to function.

- The satellite is discoverable in Router mode during setup, but not in AP mode.

- The entire system is flaky now. After 2 full resets and building the network again the latest firmware update has left the system much less reliable than it was previously.

Why does Netgear continue to ignore this situation? It seems to be directly related to the problems many other are reporting with the RBK752 / RBK753 firmware.

Message 19 of 25

I hear you. I have all NG components including a 5G mobile hotspot but am done now. I just received my access points from Ubiquiti and was up and running in 15 minutes with much better coverage. I'm just going to eBay my 850 router and sats, when and if they finally decide to fix the firmware. What a terrible company Netgear has become.

Message 20 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck.

Message 21 of 25
NGSvensk
Apprentice

Same thing - Newest firmware broke the 850 Series.  Cannot factory reset RBS.

Spent hours with Tech Support to no avail.

Message 22 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Downgrade back to v3...

@NGSvensk wrote:

Same thing - Newest firmware broke the 850 Series.  Cannot factory reset RBS.

Spent hours with Tech Support to no avail.

Message 23 of 25
GoldenRetroGame
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Downgrade back to v3...

Honestly, you really need to stop telling people to do that. There isn't a supported way to block automatic updates, so downgrading is just a temporary solution and people will need to repeat the downgrade every few days.

Message 24 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

There is a way to block updates. The user who posted it told me his is working still on v3. It's up to users to try it. Or not. Just an option. Everything else, you'll need to contact NG support and wait it out. 

Good Luck. 

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7