Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK853 - Intermittent drops in internet connectivity

vfromdc
Guide

RBK853 - Intermittent drops in internet connectivity

I have just installed Orbi RBK 853 (850 router + 2 satellites) two weeks ago. It has latest firmware (V3.2.11.2_1.2.13). I have Verizon fios gigabit internet which is very stable. I noticed that I loose internet connectivity intermittently  for a few seconds (last time it was 6 seconds). It throws some of the devices off (TiVo specifically) that I have to restart. Anyone else noticed this? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
vfromdc
Guide

Re: RBK853 - Intermittent drops in internet connectivity

FW v3.2.15.25 has been working well, no more drops.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Does both wired and wifi appear to not have access to the internet when this happens? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

FYI, newer FW is available:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-v3-2-15-25-FW-update-seen-in-Orbi-App-Today/m-p/1916486...

Message 2 of 10
vfromdc
Guide

ONT is supplied by Verizon and the RBK850 connects directly to it through an ethernet cable. It is working as a router. I checked the router log after I lost internet connectivity and it showed that it was lost and then regained with a gap of 6 seconds.

I have not done HW reset after FW update, didn't know it was required. This is the latest FW available to me, was just out last night in our area. But the intermittent problem existed before also, I just didn't know what was going on as I got the router less than 2 weeks ago and was busy in fixing the problem with Wemo switches not working.

Thanks

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems that there is a problem between the RBR and ONT.IF the RBR is loosing connection, this means the ONT signal is failing to the RBR in most cases...

I would try this, power OFF the ONT and RBR for 1 minute, then back ON with the ONT. After it syncs, power ON the RBR. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers ONT? Is this a ONT only or is there a built in router here? 

Swap the LAN cable between the ONT and RBR. Use a good quality LAN cable. CAT6 is recommended. 

Keep an eye on the Orbi app or RBRs web page for v15.25...this is slowly appearing on users systems. 

Sometimes a reset will be needed after a FW update. 

Message 4 of 10
vfromdc
Guide

It is Verizon ONT model # 1-211M-L. There is no modem, as per Verizon, which may imply that it is built in. I can connect a laptop directly to ONT through ethernet. ONT was recently replaced and tested to be working fine. I use a 50 feet long CAT5e cable for connection between ONT and RBR..

My present connection had been working successfully for more than an year when I had ASUS RT-AX88U router. No issues. Unfortunately, AX88U could not cover the whole house so I had to replace it with RBK853. I had done power off/on sequence a few times before but not after last night's FW upgrade.

I will wait for the new FW, upgrade the system and go through power sequence again. Thanks.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok checking to make sure your ONT doesn't have a buit in router is all. Your good here.

Ya, CAT5e is ok however is not as good as CAT6 or higher. I would swap this 5e cable out for CAT6 or higher. Also shortest length of cable is perferred if possible. 

Message 6 of 10
vfromdc
Guide

Installed the new FW v3.2.15.25, powered off all devices, including ONT, and powered them back on in sequence. So far everything is working fine, will monitor any breaks in internet service and report back.

Thanks for the help.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. I think v15.25 is working well. I am see an odd issue with my two NEST controllers so I need to try a factory reset. Other than this. Orbi seems way better than before. I think you have better experiences with it. 

Message 8 of 10
vfromdc
Guide

FW v3.2.15.25 has been working well, no more drops.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Enjoy. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation