Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK853 No Upload Speed when Using Thunderbolt 3 10Gbe Network Adapter

Retired_Member
Not applicable

RBK853 No Upload Speed when Using Thunderbolt 3 10Gbe Network Adapter

I have a Thunderbolt 3 to 10Gbe adapter that I've been using on my desktop for almost a year (internal use to get faster transfer speeds.) It connects to a Netgear 10Gb switch, which is then connected to my Netgear Orbi RBK853 I've been using for a few weeks now.

All of a sudden when I do a speed test, I get 950Mbps down, but my upload is like 0.01Mbps! I've spent countless hours troubleshooting, and I've narrowed it down to the Netgear router. Why would the Netgear Orbi router all of a sudden kill my upload speed when using one of these adapters?

I thought it was my Thunderbolt 3 10Gbe network adapter going bad. I replaced it and had the same issue. After finally hooking up another router, everything works PERFECT and I get my 950Mbps upload speed back.

I've reset the router at least 5 times. I've tried upgrading the router and satellites to firmware V3.2.11.2_1.2.13 and that didn't help. I've setup the router as a brand new router without using saved configurations, and NOTHING works. I only lose all upload speed on this computer that uses the Thundderbolt 3 network adapter. Any other router works fine. The router plugs directly into my ONT. No other hardware is in the picture, other than the Netgear Orbi, Netgear 10Gbe switch, and the Thunderbolt 3 adapter for my computer. Everything is wired connection.

Any ideas? Another way to reset the router? I've used a pin to push the reset button in the back, and I've also reset the router from the admin panel. After completing setup, my upload speed is still killed.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Issue resolved! After days of troubleshooting, I was finally able to resovle my own issue.

I'll post the resolution in case anyone has this problem down the road when they search Google 🙂 

So the Thunderbolt 3 10Gbe adapter uses a NIC card by the manufacture Aquantia AQtion. The driver version I had installed was 2.1.18. I have no idea why my Netgear Orbi stopped working at full upload speed. I downgraded to 2.1.17 and still no luck. I found someone on Reddit mention they downgraded all the way to 2.1.12 and IT WORKS! I'm now getting my full 950Mbps down / 950Mbps up. All because of a driver! What's strange if I used any other router, it worked fine. I don't quite understand why the driver made a difference so it would work properly with the Netgear Orbi router.... but I'm just happy I can move on.

[RESOLVED]

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Issue resolved! After days of troubleshooting, I was finally able to resovle my own issue.

I'll post the resolution in case anyone has this problem down the road when they search Google 🙂 

So the Thunderbolt 3 10Gbe adapter uses a NIC card by the manufacture Aquantia AQtion. The driver version I had installed was 2.1.18. I have no idea why my Netgear Orbi stopped working at full upload speed. I downgraded to 2.1.17 and still no luck. I found someone on Reddit mention they downgraded all the way to 2.1.12 and IT WORKS! I'm now getting my full 950Mbps down / 950Mbps up. All because of a driver! What's strange if I used any other router, it worked fine. I don't quite understand why the driver made a difference so it would work properly with the Netgear Orbi router.... but I'm just happy I can move on.

[RESOLVED]

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Hmm All my 1Gb USB3 to LAN adapters work fine with my RBR with v3.2.11.2. I see your is a 10Gb adapter? You might try a 1Gb. At some point you'll want to update FW on the RBR and will want the RBR to work with an adapter. Having a 10Gb adater may be the problem on new FW. Odd that it works on old FW and not new. Something changed in FW I guess. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7