Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK853 (RBR850 + 2 sat) and iTunes Home Sharing

knowyourlimits
Aspirant

RBK853 (RBR850 + 2 sat) and iTunes Home Sharing

I recently installed the AX6000 RBK853 (with 2 sat) and cannot get iTunes Home Sharing to work in wireless mode. The satellites are hardwired and everything but Home Sharing is working very well. Screaming fast well. I have an iTunes library on a desktop Win10 PC and want to access my library on a laptop with Win10. The desktop is hardwired to a switch. The same switch that is connected to the router and one of the satellites. I'm not using any of the ethernet ports on this particular satellite. The laptop is connected via the 5Ghz wireless band. iTunes Home Sharing works when I hardware the laptop to the switch. I can't figure out, after hours of searching, why it isn't working in wireless mode. Any ideas? Unfortunately, the wired scenario for the laptop involves a 25' patch cord drapped across our fam room floor.  

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK853 (RBR850 + 2 sat) and iTunes Home Sharing

Something to ask APPLE support about...

Message 2 of 8
knowyourlimits
Aspirant

I took your advice. No responses yet. I think this more to do with router/satellite/switch config, but I'm not skilled enough to prove it. Appreciate your rapid response. 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Something to ask APPLE support about...

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the mfr and model # of the switch used in between the RBR and RBS? 

Something to test out:

Turn OFF The RBS. Does home sharing work with just the RBR alone? 

Turn ON the RBS and wirelessly connect it to the RBR. Connect something to the RBS that you want to share. Does this work? 
Reverse devices, connect something at the RBS and share something on the RBR side. Work here? 

@Blanca_O 

@ErnestTheGreat 

Message 4 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

@knowyourlimits wrote:

I recently installed the AX6000 RBK853 (with 2 sat) and cannot get iTunes Home Sharing to work in wireless mode. The satellites are hardwired and everything but Home Sharing is working very well. Screaming fast well. I have an iTunes library on a desktop Win10 PC and want to access my library on a laptop with Win10. The desktop is hardwired to a switch. The same switch that is connected to the router and one of the satellites. I'm not using any of the ethernet ports on this particular satellite. The laptop is connected via the 5Ghz wireless band. iTunes Home Sharing works when I hardware the laptop to the switch. I can't figure out, after hours of searching, why it isn't working in wireless mode. Any ideas? Unfortunately, the wired scenario for the laptop involves a 25' patch cord drapped across our fam room floor.  

When you say "the desktop is hardwired to a switch, the same switch this is connected to the router and one of the satellites" is everything downstream of the router?  It should be something like:

router --> switch --> satellite

Not:

switch --> router

\--> satellite

Also, if you take the switch out of the equation then do things work correctly?  We've seen some Orbi network connectivity issues with specific switches (often managed or green swicthes).  What type of switch?

As long as everything is connected downstream of the router then your Orbi network should be seamless, whether wired or wireless connected.

Message 5 of 8
knowyourlimits
Aspirant

I am very thankful for the support and ideas. I appogize for the delayed responses...move-in crap to deal with. 

- Switch is an unmanaged Netgear GS380. 

- everything is downstream of the router

- Original new install set up: 

- RBR>>GS308>>RBS2 (bonus room)  (PC Desktop hardwired to GS308; wireless PC laptop connecting to RBS2 @5Ghz)

>>RBS1 (garage)

- iTunes homesharing does not work on the laptop - except when hardwired to the GS308 or RBS

- Current test iteration set-up:

- RBR>>RBS2>>PC Desktop

>>RBS1

>>GS308 (A/V gear)

- iTunes homesharing does not work on the laptop - except when hardwired to the GS308 or RBS2

- Per prior recommendation, I tried shutting off the RBS and forcing the laptop to connect to the RBR. Same result...no home share via wireless.

One suggestion to test that I have not attempted is to connect the Desktop PC to the RBR and try the wireless laptop again. Unfortunately, I haven't found my 100' patch cable to run that far. Working on it.

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like there is a problem of apple traffic not being passed over wifi between the RBR and RBS. 

I would open up a support ticket with NG support and lets get NG looking into this.

@Blanca_O 

Message 7 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

I don't run iTunes home sharing on my PCs but here are some random suggestions:

1. Remove the network switch to start, but it shouldn't matter if the devices connect to the Orbi RBR or the RBS.
  2. Test that the wireless laptop is able to see / ping the IP address of the PC.  If this doesn't work then there is no home network connectivity between the devices.  What are the two IP addresses?  Can other devices ping the PC or are all Orbi home network devices unable to ping the PC.
  3. Verify at least on the PC that the Windows network is set to Private so the firewall is not active (see the Windows instructions in the port forwarding community FAQ: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-port-forwarding-doesn-t-work/m-p/1984...)
  4. See if other options in Apple's Windows iTunes home sharing article help: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7156505

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7