Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK853 and Nest Hub Max

michaelm8718
Guide

RBK853 and Nest Hub Max

Hi all

Just set up a brand new RBK853 today here in the UK and my Nest Hub Max was completely and constantly disconnecting.

Routers were updated to latest firmware as part of initial setup and I even reset the Hub Max to factory settings.

I did raise a ticket with Netgear but they pushed me three times to a technical support that was not trained for that model. Promised a callback and they called at 1AM uk time. I answered and hang up instantly ... what a cope out that was!!

I have since looked up this forum and I changed the CTS/RTS value to Max 2347 for both 2.4 and 5GHz and seems to have done the trick for me with no discernible performance hit but it’s only been a day.

At least I get no disconnecting messages on the hub Max and my back yard nest cam has stopped going offline.

I did get a dchp conflict for one of my Synology NAS but I have since created a reservation for the IP and all good so far.

Any comments on these changes? Hopefully this post will help others.

Thanks
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK853 and Nest Hub Max

Give it some time to see. It shouldn't. CTS value change is new for Orbi AX systems. Orbi AC systems default to 2347. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes NG seems to default CTS to 64 however seems to effedt some IoT devices so setting 2347 is an alternative solution. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 6
michaelm8718
Guide

Hi @FURRYe38...

There is no modem as the router is directly connected to the fiber connection coming directly into the home. Here in the UK the ISP in this case BT install a wall box which I suppose is the modem equivalent and a singe Ethernet cable connects directly to the WAN port. We as consumers do not have access to that wall box

My house is small compared to US standards...about 1500 square feet over 2 floors with timber internal partitions and a brick clad external wall.

The router unit is in the kitchen in a cupboard as that is where the fiber is coming in so no choice really... the satellite 1 is in the living room and the 2nd one in the office upstairs but on an Ethernet wired back haul. Both Satellites are no more than 30 feet away from the router and they all show up as strong connections.

Everything is on auto as I did not want to mess with the settings too much as this is a brand new unit and still evaluating. Now that I made the change above everything works so no issues. I am just not entirely sure if that change breaks something else!!

I had the ASUS XT 8 before but I was having some different issues. Let’s hope the Orbi behaves.
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Give it some time to see. It shouldn't. CTS value change is new for Orbi AX systems. Orbi AC systems default to 2347. 

Message 4 of 6
michaelm8718
Guide

This seems to have started again for no apparent reason. Router rebooted today and I thought it was a software update but the firmware stayed the same at 3.2.16.22_1.4.9. However I note the current firmware on netgear support is 3.2.17.12. My router says no update available and there are no manual downloads on the website either. The latest download I can get is the one I have! Any ideas?

I should say I am in the UK in case there are any regional settings in this update. When was 3.2.17.12 released?
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7