Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBKE963 - Satellite IP Address Assignments

DodgeDeBoulet
Apprentice

RBKE963 - Satellite IP Address Assignments

I've turned off the DHCP service on the Orbi router in favor of using a Pi-Hole; it's directly connected to the router via Ethernet. I've created static leases on the Pi-Hole for the MAC addresses and IPs of the two Orbi satellites.

I'm seeing DHCPREQUEST and DHCPACK entries in the Pi-Hole log file for the satellites, so can I assume that they will continue to rely on the Pi-Hole for their address assignments?

Has anyone set static leases for their satellites in the Orbi's built-in DHCP service? If that works, I would expect the Pi-Hole to continue to serve that function.

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBKE963 - Satellite IP Address Assignments

Yes, I always set IP Address Reservations for any RBS I have on the RBR. Helps to know there IP addresses when needed that don't change. 

Message 2 of 4
DodgeDeBoulet
Apprentice

While it's nice to know that the IP addresses won't change, it's especially convenient that with the Pi-Hole, the hostnames are also resolved. If one is supplied in the DHCPREQUEST it's automatically added to local DNS, but if you create a lease you can also change the name associated with the address and it will use that instead.

Unfortunately, the Orbi satellites don't provide a host name in the DHCP request (on the Pi-Hole they show up as "unknown" in the DHCP page), but when creating their reservations I was able to add names to them. So my satellites are now known as livingroomorbi.lan and mediaroomorbi.lan.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

There you go. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements