Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBKE963 and Homekit

jhmoser15
Guide

RBKE963 and Homekit

Anyone using the IOT SSID and only 2.4g with home kit devices.  It seems that homekit devices are going unresponsive.   I am running the system in AP mode.

Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I'm not.

Has the Orbi system AND IoT devices been powered OFF for 1 minute or more? 
I'd power everything OFF, then back ON with the Orbi system first, then IoT devices after that. 

How many devices do you have connected? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the CTS value set for on the RBR? Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 15
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @jhmoser15

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information FURRYe38 provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 3 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@jhmoser15 wrote:

Anyone using the IOT SSID and only 2.4g with home kit devices.  It seems that homekit devices are going unresponsive.   I am running the system in AP mode.

Could you comment on whether the IoT WiFi has the same SSID as the primary WiFi network or a different SSID?

I understand that customers have been asking for a dedicated WiFi network for IoT devices for years, partly to make connecting devices easier and partly to 'separate' IoT devices from the primary network.  When this new Orbi replaces an existing WiFi system that supported IoT devices on the primary network, all of those devices will have been configured to use the primary SSID.  If this new IoT WiFi network has a different SSID, then every one of those existing Homekit devices will continue to connect to the primary WiFi network until the user reconfigures them one-at-a-time.

It is probably obvious how you went about implementing the IoT network, but not to me. (sigh)

Message 4 of 15
Mikey94025
Hero

@CrimpOn wrote:

I understand that customers have been asking for a dedicated WiFi network for IoT devices for years, partly to make connecting devices easier and partly to 'separate' IoT devices from the primary network.  When this new Orbi replaces an existing WiFi system that supported IoT devices on the primary network, all of those devices will have been configured to use the primary SSID.  If this new IoT WiFi network has a different SSID, then every one of those existing Homekit devices will continue to connect to the primary WiFi network until the user reconfigures them one-at-a-time.

According to the AXE user manual the IoT network has a different SSID.  I am still waiting for my unit to arrive, but I am considering using my current Orib SSID + credentials for the AXE's IoT network and configure it only for 2.4Ghz.  So by default, all existing devices in my home will go on the IoT network.

I'll create a new SSID for AXE's primary network and set it to WPA3 (only).  Only my main devices need to be reconfigured, like phones and streaming devices.  I also have some 5Ghz-compatible Nest cameras that I may also reconfigure.

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

The IoT can be any SSID name. It's just a separate 2.4Ghz only radio. 

Message 6 of 15
jhmoser15
Guide

First my IOT SSID is different then the base network.  I have done the things above and still seeing the issues.

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Has the Orbi system AND IoT devices been powered OFF for 1 minute or more? 
I'd power everything OFF, then back ON with the Orbi system first, then IoT devices after that. 

How many devices do you have connected? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the CTS value set for on the RBR? Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@Blanca_O 

@jhmoser15 wrote:

First my IOT SSID is different then the base network.  I have done the things above and still seeing the issues.

Message 8 of 15
jhmoser15
Guide

House 3k SF

I have powered everyothing off as per below.

I have fios 500/500 and my router is a edgemax 12P

my satellites are over 30ft apart

the default 64.

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the Orbi system in router or AP mode? 

Message 10 of 15
jhmoser15
Guide

AP mode

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you connect one of the HomeKit devices to the main wifi network SSID and see if it connects and remains connected or if it allso stops responding? 

Message 12 of 15
jhmoser15
Guide

I have done that and they drop, but not sure if it is related to them only support 2.4, where the main network has both 2.4ghz and 5ghz turned on.  FYI I had an RBK853 system and did not have these issues.

Message 13 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd let NG know of your experiences then. NG will need to address this. 

@Blanca_O 

Message 14 of 15
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @jhmoser15

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7