Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBKE963 satellite dead/bricked after a power cut?

wifiwf
Tutor

RBKE963 satellite dead/bricked after a power cut?

Hello all, I hope you can help me,

Today there was a power cut, and when the power returned, my mesh didn't come back with it.

The router is fine, but none of the satellites wanted to connect to it. I restarted everything and even hardware reset each satellite one by one. Eventually they all reconnected except for one.

This satellite will flash its white light, then turn blue, confirming it has a good connection, but it is not visible on either the app or the web page, nor does it emit wifi.

Please advise, thank you!

M

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
wifiwf
Tutor

Re: RBKE963 satellite dead/bricked after a power cut?

Fixed it!

I read about the 30/30/30 reset and that did the trick!

Thank you for your assistance

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 15

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Power OFF all working RBS. Take the one non working RBS to same room as the RBR and try to sync it there...Try using the RBRs add satellite function on the RBRs web page with a PC and web browser...

Message 2 of 15
wifiwf
Tutor

Hello, thank you for your reply 🙂

What Firmware version is currently loaded? V6.3.7.5

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? Starlink

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. Yup (also, the router and all of the other satellites work just fine)

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 4000

What is the distance between the router and 📡satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. Yup, about that (also, they've always worked before and it's now only this one satellite that seems to be bricked)

Power OFF all working RBS. Take the one non working RBS to same room as the RBR and try to sync it there...Try using the RBRs add satellite function on the RBRs web page with a PC and web browser. Done that about 15 times, no joy. The others work though

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

For that size of home, you only need the RBR and 1 RBS, maybe two with the RBRs transmit power set to 25%. 

I have a 5000 sq ft phone 3 levels and use two RBS and power is set to 50%. I can get away with 1 RBS. 

Might try a factory reset on the RBR and the one RBS and setup from scratch. Walk thru the setup wizard with adding just the 1 RBS. Leave the others OFF. 

Message 4 of 15
wifiwf
Tutor

For that size of home, you only need the RBR and 1 RBS, maybe two with the RBRs transmit power set to 25%. 

I have a 5000 sq ft phone 3 levels and use two RBS and power is set to 50%. I can get away with 1 RBS. 

It's a 3 storey Victorian house with 2 foot thick stone walls. Trust me you need more satellites than 1. And, it always used to work

Might try a factory reset on the RBR and the one RBS and setup from scratch. Walk thru the setup wizard with adding just the 1 RBS. Leave the others OFF.

The chaos this would cause doesn't yet justify that course of action.

I'm wondering if the power got cut right in the middle of a firmware update, and now the satellite is very confused?

If I could somehow connect to it directly and see what it's doing?

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Try to connect it to the back of the RBR with a ethernet cable to see if it gets an IP address. Keep the other RBS turned OFF. 

If you see an IP address for the RBS, see if you can connect to it's web page using that IP address. 

There shouldn't have been any FW updates...

Message 6 of 15
wifiwf
Tutor

Try to connect it to the back of the RBR with a ethernet cable to see if it gets an IP address. Keep the other RBS turned OFF. 

If you see an IP address for the RBS, see if you can connect to it's web page using that IP addres

Is there a step by step guide for doing this with either a mac or PC?

There shouldn't have been any FW updates...

Funnily enough there was, which is what made me think of it as a possible cause. When I was resetting all of the other satellites I noticed that one needed an update, so I pushed it through. It's possible therefore that the bricked satellite was also in that state.

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Just open a web browser, any, and log in to the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1. 

Possible...I recommend updating FW using manual download of the file to the RBS web page. Also having RBS out at a distance, if the signal is not good enough, this could cause a bad FW load. Why I tend to bring RBS to near or close range when doing a FW update on RBS. Or connect a wired PC to the back of the RBS and send it there.

Message 8 of 15
wifiwf
Tutor

Just open a web browser, any, and log in to the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1. 

It is not there 😑

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR AND RBS and walk thru the setup wizard and try to add it during the setup wizard. 

If this fails, I would open a support ticket with NG and have them help you with the faulty RBS.

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
https://www.netgear.com/about/contact-us/

Message 10 of 15
wifiwf
Tutor

Thank you 🌟

Message 11 of 15
wifiwf
Tutor

Fixed it!

I read about the 30/30/30 reset and that did the trick!

Thank you for your assistance

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 13 of 15
wifiwf
Tutor

30 / 30 / 30 explained

I found this method here: https://swiftmoves.blog/how-to-reset-orbi-every-known-method/

With the satellite on, you hold its reset button down for 30 seconds, then turn the satellite off but keep holding the reset for another 30 seconds, then power on the satellite while continuing to holding its reset. 

So you hold the reset for a total of 90 continuous seconds

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Yep. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7