Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBKE963B - Help with optimal location based on house plan

Rosners
Aspirant

RBKE963B - Help with optimal location based on house plan

Hello,
We're building a new construction home and are currently in the planning phase. We do have our house plan finalized and would greatly appreciate any insights as to the optimal placement for the router and two satellites. If anyone is willing to take a look, please reply here and I will message you the house plan.

Thank you!
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBKE963B - Help with optimal location based on house plan

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Message 2 of 5
Rosners
Aspirant

It's essentially a ranch. The first floor is ~4,300 sqft and the basement (unfinished) is the same sqft. We will eventually finish parts of the basement so it would be good to plan ahead in terms of additional satellites. Does it make a difference for the optimal positioning if we're able to hardwire the satellites to the router? Since we haven't built the house yet, we could run wires to any location in the house.
Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, yes, if you can get CAT6A cable in wall infrastructure in place during the build out, then you'll be good. I did this several years ago when we did a new addition to my home. CAT6A in wall and patch panel in a central electronics location. Main level is recommended, not in a basement. Mines on 2nd level. Then run CAT6 patch cables from wall outlets to devices, RBS and such. 

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Telcom wiring in residential structures has evolved over the years.  At one time,builders would put a patch panel in the garage and then home owners would find that this location was horrible in terms of air temperature and electrical needs.  Since this building is totally new, I would want to consider (a) how is the Internet Service Provider going to get service to the house? (because either the modem/fiber box and router have to be located there, or (b) there needs to be an ethernet cable from that location to where the router will be, and (b) where in the house will it be convenient to locate a patch panel and a bunch of electronics that all need to be [relatively] cool and have electricity?

I would definitely install a bunch of cables to the basement (leave them rolled up near the ceiling.

Also, if you plan to install security cameras, now is a good time to install ethernet cables to the most likely locations.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7