Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBKE963B & Outdoor Satellite

bouchi
Tutor

RBKE963B & Outdoor Satellite

Hello, 

I'm thinking about buying a new Orbi WiFi 6E RBKE963B pack and and want to know if Orbi outdoor satellites are fully compatible in a mesh network configuration ?

I'm not able to find outdoor satellites WiFi 6E compatible, only RBS50Y or RBS50Yv2 but they only seems WiFi 5 compatible.

So to summarize :

1. If I bought RBKE963B pack + RBS50Yv2 satellite, will I be able to get a full mesh network running with WiFi 6E inside the home and WiFi 5 outside with same SSID and all transparent for my devices ? 

2. Is it in the loop to have outdoor satellites WiFi 6E compatible ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Bouchi

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: RBKE963B & Outdoor Satellite

@bouchi wrote:

Hello, 

thank you very much for your fast and complete answer. 

As I'm not yet an Orbi user, could you please tell me what the Orbi mode provide more than a Mesh extender ?---Orbi mode basically the router has more control between router/satellites to help with daisy chaining/star topology. It also seems to be a little smoother on smart roaming (subjective from me) even though its the device itself that decides when it roams between router/satellites. 

If you can advise me based on your experience, what will you do ? 

1. Buy RBKE963B + RBS50Y (or RBS50Yv2) and running in the mesh extender configuration ?

2. Buy RBKE963B only and wait for a potential WiFi 6E Orbi outdoor ?

3. Buy indoor and outdoor full compatible WiFi 5 Orbi system (AC3000, Orbi Pro WiFi 5 (SRK60B03)) until WiFi 6E will be generalized or replaced by WiFi 7 ?

Thank you 

Bouchi

Are you needing the boost in speed/coverage? If it was me, I'd try the RBKE system with an outdoor extender. But I'd buy from somewhere with a generous return policy. that way if it doesn't provide the coverage/needs that you expect from the price, then you could return it and go with a standard AC system. I've used both the RBK53 and have the RBKE963. And I have a RBK50Y that I used with my RBK53. Do I notice much difference from going from an AC system to an AX system? Not really unless I'm speedtesting. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Would it connect to your system in orbi mode? No. 

But you can connect it in extender mode and run it with the same ssid since its a mesh extender. 

would it be as efficient in its roaming performance? Unknown as I haven't tried it. 

Netgear doesn't tell us updates about upcoming products 

Message 2 of 6
bouchi
Tutor

Hello, 

As I'm not yet an Orbi user, could you please tell me what the Orbi mode provide more than a Mesh extender ?

1. Buy RBKE963B + RBS50Y (or RBS50Yv2) and running in the mesh extender configuration ?

3. Buy indoor and outdoor full compatible WiFi 5 Orbi system (AC3000, Orbi Pro WiFi 5 (SRK60B03)) until WiFi 6E will be generalized or replaced by WiFi 7 ?

Thank you 

Bouchi

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

@bouchi wrote:

Hello, 

As I'm not yet an Orbi user, could you please tell me what the Orbi mode provide more than a Mesh extender ?---Orbi mode basically the router has more control between router/satellites to help with daisy chaining/star topology. It also seems to be a little smoother on smart roaming (subjective from me) even though its the device itself that decides when it roams between router/satellites. 

Thank you 

Bouchi

Are you needing the boost in speed/coverage? If it was me, I'd try the RBKE system with an outdoor extender. But I'd buy from somewhere with a generous return policy. that way if it doesn't provide the coverage/needs that you expect from the price, then you could return it and go with a standard AC system. I've used both the RBK53 and have the RBKE963. And I have a RBK50Y that I used with my RBK53. Do I notice much difference from going from an AC system to an AX system? Not really unless I'm speedtesting. 

Message 4 of 6
bouchi
Tutor

Thank you again.

I think I will follow your advice and try the RBKE to have more speed inside the house with the RBK50Y  for outside where speed is less important and where I've got less devices and spend less time.

Have a great weekend.

Bouchi

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

You might even hold off on the RBS50Y and just see how your RBKE units work. I used to need to use the RBS50Y but with switching to the AX  units, I can hit plenty of speed anywhere on my property. (Smaller area around 1/3-1/2 acre.)

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7