Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR 750 will not connect to Cable Router after a power fail, requires RBR750 to be power sequenced.

RJM_5
Aspirant

RBR 750 will not connect to Cable Router after a power fail, requires RBR750 to be power sequenced.

After a power outage the RBR750 will not connect to a ARRIS cable router. The RBR750 needs to be power cycled (disconnect power then connect power), which corrects the problem. The Orbi is installed in a remote location and be able to recover

from the power outage without the manual power cycle.

Message 1 of 7
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Re: RBR 750 will not connect to Cable Router after a power fail, requires RBR750 to be power sequenc

I also have an Obri at a remote location (vacation house). The simple solution to your problem is to get a battery backup (Uniterruptible Power Supply-UPS) that has enough power to handle both your Orbi and the cable modem. However, that may not solve every glitch. My remote ISP has a poor reliability record and internet access drops out at least once per week–it may be for minutes or hours.) A UPS will not solve that problem.

I do have my modem and router connected to a UPS, but I also invested in a two outlet remote power switch like this one: https://5gstore.com/product/8897_2_outlet_ip_switch.html. This outlet can be configured to reboot both the cable modem and router if either loses connectivity. Works well for me and worth the $100, IMO.

Good Luck!

Message 2 of 7
RJM_5
Aspirant

Re: RBR 750 will not connect to Cable Router after a power fail, requires RBR750 to be power sequenc

I did testing with both the cable router and Orbi router:

>Cable router takes 60 seconds to on-line status

>Powering on the Orbi 60 seconds after the cable router is powered on , is one solution.

I will install the outlet that was provided in your link, thanks!

I believe a second solution would require a firmware change, but not knowing the code this

could be wishfull thinking. 

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@RJM_5 wrote:

After a power outage the RBR750 will not connect to a ARRIS cable router. The RBR750 needs to be power cycled (disconnect power then connect power), which corrects the problem. The Orbi is installed in a remote location and be able to recover

from the power outage without the manual power cycle.

Message 4 of 7
RJM_5
Aspirant

Data you requested-

Cable Router:

ARRIS(Motorola) 

Model SBG6580-G228

Software version SBG6580-6.5.0-GA-NOSH

WIFI Router:

Netgear(Orbi)

Model RBR750

Firmware version V4.6.3.7_2.0.49

Orbi Sat_1

Model RBR750

Firmware version V4.6.3.7_2.0.49

Message 5 of 7
tucsontico
Virtuoso

@RJM_5 wrote:

I did testing with both the cable router and Orbi router:

>Cable router takes 60 seconds to on-line status

>Powering on the Orbi 60 seconds after the cable router is powered on , is one solution.

I will install the outlet that was provided in your link, thanks!

I believe a second solution would require a firmware change, but not knowing the code this

could be wishfull thinking. 

OK. Consider that, if the power goes out, the remote outlet will quit too. When the power is restored, the outlet may not reset with the timing you specified (60 second delay). It may be added expense, but a UPS between the main power and the remote outlet will give you higher confidence (nothing is 100%) you can reset the modem and Orbi in the proper sequence. Good luck with the remote reset outlet. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@RJM_5 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7