Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR 850 with 2 x sattelites

louisenslin
Aspirant

RBR 850 with 2 x sattelites

Hi

I have 2 x satellites in my mesh system with the furthest one about 25 meters from my route with a fair amount of walls in between.
When I connect to the wifi far from the router, the signal is weak and when I log into the Orbi app, it seems like my device connects to the router instead of the satellite. Its both an iPhone and MacBook pro, so it should be 5G. I understand that the orbi satellites don't run 2.4G?

Anyway, so the mesh satellite system seems redundant as nothing connects to the satellites, only the primary router, even if the signal is weaker to the main router as opposed to the satellite.
How do I force devices to connect to the stronger signal (satellite), rather than the router that's far away?

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR 850 with 2 x sattelites

@louisenslin wrote:

I understand that the orbi satellites don't run 2.4G?

This is incorrect.  Every Orbi unit broadcasts the same SSID on both 2.4G and 5G WiFi channels. There are many apps for Android and Windows (sorry, no experience with "i-things") that will display the actual signal level of each unit.  i.e. when there are one router and two satellites, the SSID will appear three times at 2.4G and three times at 5G.

@louisenslin wrote:

How do I force devices to connect to the stronger signal (satellite), rather than the router that's far away?

The short answer is that the user cannot force a device to connect to a specific WiFi unit.  Software in the device is supposed to compare the available WiFi access points, have a dialog with them about what features they support, and choose the best connection.

I have observed that my phone tends to connect to the garage satellite as soon as I get out of the car.  I will go upstairs (where I sit now, right next to the router), and notice, "WTF?  What is the phone doing connected at 2.4G???"  Toggle WiFi off and back on, and it connects to the router at 5G.  Phones are supposed to roam, checking constantly for "a better connection."

Unless my math is rusty, 25 meters is a bit over 75 feet.  Do the satellites show a "Good" connection to the router on the Orbi app network map or the web browser Attached Devices page?

Message 2 of 7
louisenslin
Aspirant

HI Guru

Thanks for your reply.

Regarding the 2.4 and 5g section, please see my screenshot attached. The sattelites only states 5g? I also just noticed that th backhaul states keep flipping between "good" and " out of sync" I have the latest firmware and rebooted the whole system.

Then, sorry its 15 meters, not 25. I think the main issue I have it that nothing connects to the satellites, all the devices default to connecting directly to the router, even if the wifi signal right by the sattelite is much stronger that all the way from the router. I assumed that any device will prefer a stronger radio signal?

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

I would relocate satellites until they sync and stay synced. I do not see how anything can connect to a satellite that is not synced. 

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡
https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Message 5 of 7
louisenslin
Aspirant

I found the issue.

Although the sattelites showed, there must have been a firmware update that went crazy at some point. I had to manually update the RBS firmware on both satelites as the RBR and RBS's had diffrent firmware and the automatic firmware updating function did not seem to do its job properly.

After the update, the satelites now connect in daisy chain format and the house is flooded with proper 5 and 2.4g.

I will maybe disable the automatic firmware updater and look for firmware update every now and then.

Thanks

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

AH ya, IF the system was updated via Orbi app or via Autoupdate on the RBR, possible that the RBS got left behind when there supposed to be updated first. I recommend checking for FW udpates here in the forums or on NG download page then if you want too, manually update FW using a wired PC or laptop. Be sure to update the RBS first then the RBR lastly. 

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7