Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR350 Guest Network Log Question

satelly
Aspirant

RBR350 Guest Network Log Question

Have an Orbi 352 with router and 1 wired satellite. Have set up a Guest network for IoT devices. Looking at the log files, I see multiple repeat entries mainly for devices on the Guest Network.

For example

[DHCP IP: 192.168.2.xx] to MAC address a0:a0:a0:a0:a0:a0, Day, Month Date, Year Time

It seems to be only the Guest Network devices and basically entry repeats every 8-10 minutes in the loh.

Does this suggest the IoT devices are losing connection and then reconnecting? The assigned IP address is always the same and I never seem to actually lose connection to them so wonder why the log keeps showing this. It never shows anything for the standard network devices eg. 192.168.1.xx

Thanks

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

Re: RBR350 Guest Network Log Question

@satelly 

Netgear has set the attached devices IP lease time to a very short period on the Guest Network.   For some of the Orbi line (the 7xx, 8xx, and 9xx series), that lease time is 15 minutes, which means every 15 minutes the device renews it's IP and lease to the network.

I do not have an RBR3xx series, so I can not verify what they decided to set that lease period to.

It does not mean that your devices on the Guest Network is losing connection - it is just renewing it's IP in accordance to what Netgear set up for the rules.

Unfortunately, this is not a setting that Netgear makes user definable.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@satelly 

Netgear has set the attached devices IP lease time to a very short period on the Guest Network.   For some of the Orbi line (the 7xx, 8xx, and 9xx series), that lease time is 15 minutes, which means every 15 minutes the device renews it's IP and lease to the network.

I do not have an RBR3xx series, so I can not verify what they decided to set that lease period to.

It does not mean that your devices on the Guest Network is losing connection - it is just renewing it's IP in accordance to what Netgear set up for the rules.

Unfortunately, this is not a setting that Netgear makes user definable.

Message 2 of 5
satelly
Aspirant

Thanks TC in Montana 

That explains it. In that case, would it make any difference if I set a fixed IP address for these IoT devices. As the Guest network is on a "different" network, can I still assign it a fixed IP address?

Message 3 of 5
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@satelly 

Unfortunately, you can not do reserved addresses on devices on the Guest Network  (or at least with 7xx/8xx/9xx Orbis).

I can not speak definitively for the RBR350 - but I would ASSUME they follow the same rules.

Message 4 of 5
satelly
Aspirant

Thanks again for your reply.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements