Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 - Cannot port forward to PC connected to satellite router

michaeljhoelle
Aspirant

RBR750 - Cannot port forward to PC connected to satellite router

Using latest firmware V4.6.5.14_2.0.54

Computer is running Windows 10

Setup: Spectrum Modem -> wired connection to Orbi base router -> wireless connection to Orbi satellite -> wired connection to PC

(The PC is wired with a CAT7 cable to the Orbi satellite, which is wirelessly synced with the base Orbi router)

The PC in question can connect to the internet just fine in this configuration, but when viewing the connected devices on the router administration page, the PC is not included. It is also not included on the devices for setting up port-forwarding. I've tried manually setting its static IP for port-forwarding, but the port still couldn't be reached when I tested it.

Is there a way to access this PC from the router admin page or otherwise port-forward to it?

Message 1 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR750 - Cannot port forward to PC connected to satellite router

Please define "static IP" (it can have multiple meanings)

• The IP was defined on the PC as static, and is within the Orbi IP subnet.
  • The IP was "reserved" for the PC on the Orbi LAN setup page using the PC MAC address.
Message 2 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you

@michaeljhoelle wrote:

Setup: Spectrum Modem -> wired connection to Orbi base router -> wireless connection to Orbi satellite -> wired connection to PC

(The PC is wired with a CAT7 cable to the Orbi satellite, which is wirelessly synced with the base Orbi router)

The PC in question can connect to the internet just fine in this configuration, but when viewing the connected devices on the router administration page, the PC is not included. It is also not included on the devices for setting up port-forwarding. I've tried manually setting its static IP for port-forwarding, but the port still couldn't be reached when I tested it.

Is there a way to access this PC from the router admin page or otherwise port-forward to it?

Message 3 of 21
michaeljhoelle
Aspirant

The IP was changed from DHCP to static on the PC. It doesn't show in the orbi device list in either configuration, however

Message 4 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

With my batting average now.... zero, some random thoughts:

Static IP.  I avoid static IP's partly because I tend to make typos when entering the parameters and do not double check my work.  Everything has to be exactly correct: (a) being in the correct IP subnet, (b) having the correct subnet mask, (c) setting the gateway IP address, and even the DNS settings.  Anything not perfect causes problems.

Connectivity.  With the PC able to use the internet, it should be reachable from other devices on the LAN.  i.e. Can it be pinged from a different device?

Firewall.  The most typical issue with forwarding ports is that many computers (such as Windows) have different firewall rules for Private (the local LAN) and Public (everywhere else) access.  If the device ever appears to the Orbi and port(s) are forwarded to it, firewall rules become critical.  People frequently comment, "it works fine from home, but xxx web site claims the ports are not open," when the firewall is blocking Public access. 

Satellite vs. Router.  Would it be possible to (temporarily) connect the PC to the Orbi router rather than the satellite?  I keep a couple of 50' ethernet cables around for just this purpose.  The family could not stand ethernet cables running through the house, but every once in a while I have the house to myself and can string a cable to a device.  Since this situation is "not supposed to happen", it would be useful to be able to state that the PC behaves normally when connected to the router but abnormally when connected to the satellite.

850 Firmware Issues.  There is an absolute frenzy going on over in the AX community forum over the version 4.x firmware (as compared to the 3.x versions), especially with regard to satellites.  I see plenty of frustration and even signs of desperation.

Message 5 of 21
Mikey94025
Hero

Is your Spectrum modem also a router or not in bridge mode?  If you have Double Nat then often that causes port forwarding confusion.  This post has some steps for us to diagnose your port forwarding problems: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-port-forwardin...

You should be able to port forward to your PC's internal IP address.  Let us know what you find when following the steps to determine if you have Double NAT and what https://canyouseeme.org/ outputs (step #1).  Also check if your PC is Windows that you have set the Orbi connection to Private Network (step #3).

Message 6 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@michaeljhoelle wrote:

Message 7 of 21
michaeljhoelle
Aspirant

Honestly I just switched to a different computer that had a wireless card. I never did find a solution to the original problem, but it’s been circumvented.
Message 8 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe something with prior PC then? 

Message 9 of 21
michaeljhoelle
Aspirant

I wouldn't think so. I've port-forwarded from this computer before, using a different router. The computer that I can PF with is connected wirelessly, and the one I cannot PF with is wired.

Message 10 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

So what is the difference between these two PCs one thats working and one thats not working correctly with PF? 

Message 11 of 21
michaeljhoelle
Aspirant

The only difference is how they are connected to the network. The one currently working to host my server is connected wirelessly. The one that wouldn’t work, was wired into my satellite Orbi.
Message 12 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you connect the one PC that wouldn't work to the this server to see if it connects correctly there? 

Message 13 of 21
michaeljhoelle
Aspirant

Already done. I'm hosting a Project Zomboid server from the PC connected wirelessly. The wired PC is my personal/gaming one, and connects to the internet and the rest of my LAN just fine, and I can play on the PZ server from it. It just isn't recognized by Orbi administration tools.

Message 14 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

So the PC works if connected the RBR however doesn't work if connected to the RBS? 

Message 15 of 21
michaeljhoelle
Aspirant

Not sure what RBR and RBS are, but the PC that cannot port-forward (and therefore cannot host a sever) IS capable of doing everything else I care about on the network, such as accessing the internet and accessing the orbi administration page. And even though it can access the administration page, it cannot be seen on the page.

Message 16 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

RBR is the main Orbi router unit.

RBS is the satellite.

Message 17 of 21
michaeljhoelle
Aspirant

I have not tried wiring the computer to the main router. The other devices are discoverable when wired to the main router, so I would assume the computer is too, and that this is an orbi problem.

Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with NG support and let them know. 

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 19 of 21
michaeljhoelle
Aspirant

I would love to, but their support site doesn't work.

Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What do you mean? Whats happening? 

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements