Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750: Devices will only connect to Satellite WiFi or Ethernet Ports

campolo313
Apprentice

RBR750: Devices will only connect to Satellite WiFi or Ethernet Ports

None of my devices will connect to the Router's WiFi (both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz channels), devices are all connecting to the Satellites, Backhaul is showing as good, and devices that are connected to the Router Ethernet Ports are working as well.  I am able to connect to the Router GUI.

Is this a known issue with the GUI Interface or is there an issue with my system?

I have tried the following troubleshooting steps:
1. Reboot System
2. Unplug Router for 2 Minutes and then plug in Router
3. Upgrade Firmware
4. Factory Reset
5. Enable Email for Logs

System

RBK753S

Firmware: V4.6.8.5_2.1.9 (issue began on V4.6.8.2_2.1.9)
Modem: CM1000
IPS: Xfinity 1GB

Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
campolo313
Apprentice

Re: RBR750: Devices will only connect to Satellite WiFi or Ethernet Ports

Definitely wasn’t a faulty router, I’ve had this RBK753 for two years and the only issue before was the NAT Filter on their firmware at launch.

Plus the issue with the App showing the router being offline continues with my new RBK853, so there definitely is a bug with the App, but devices still connect without issue, just an issue with appearance.

So that App issue was just coincidence on timing, but my guess is somehow the front end radios either went out or an update ended up bricking them.

I’ll be sending in a warranty claim, so I might have other information later.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 21

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Are RBS ethernet connected to the RBR or wirelessly connected?

What happens if you temporarily turn OFF the RBS. Do devices connect to the RBR? 

Message 2 of 21
campolo313
Apprentice

ISP is Xfinity, Modem is CM1000 (owned not provided by ISP)

Home is 1,900 Square Feet

Distance is over 30 feet for Satellites, both read as Good for connection (always have) and turned Blue after resets.

When RBS are off, no Device will connect to WiFi, it shows as Connected - No Internet until the RBS are turned back on which then gives internet.  Anything connected to Ethernet Port on RBR works without issue.

Message 3 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

@campolo313 wrote:

For this size of home, only the RBR and 1 RBS would be needed. 
https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4

Distance is over 30 feet for Satellites, both read as Good for connection (always have) and turned Blue after resets.

When RBS are off, no Device will connect to WiFi, it shows as Connected - No Internet until the RBS are turned back on which then gives internet.  Anything connected to Ethernet Port on RBR works without issue.

Are the RBS ethernet connected to the RBR or wirelessly connected to the RBR? 

What security modes are you using? WPA2/AES Only is best.

Turn OFF both RBS. Factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch using a wired PC and web browser. This time set same SSID and give a password. When you finish the setup, go into the RBRs web page and turn OFF WPA security temporarily under Basic/Wireless settings. Check your wireless devices with the RBR and the OPEN SSID broadcast. Do any devices get connected with the RBR at all and get internet services? 

Re-enable WPA2 and AES security mode. 

Message 4 of 21
campolo313
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@campolo313 wrote:

For this size of home, only the RBR and 1 RBS would be needed. 
https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4

Are the RBS ethernet connected to the RBR or wirelessly connected to the RBR? 

What security modes are you using? WPA2/AES Only is best.

Turn OFF both RBS. Factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch using a wired PC and web browser. This time set same SSID and give a password. When you finish the setup, go into the RBRs web page and turn OFF WPA security temporarily under Basic/Wireless settings. Check your wireless devices with the RBR and the OPEN SSID broadcast. Do any devices get connected with the RBR at all and get internet services? 

Re-enable WPA2 and AES security mode. 

Square Footage on my house is misleading, I have a very tall house.  I've always had the 3 Pack Setup in this house (both RBK53 and RBK753), never been an issue.

RBS are wirelessly connected on 5 GHz Backhaul.

Security is WPA2-PSK [AES]

I already tried a Factory Reset over the weekend, so I am not sure a second one would do anything different.  But I will not be able to do another one until the weekend as my household does work from home at varying hours during the day with no down time.

Message 5 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know what you see with WPA disabled temporarily with RBS turned OFF. 

Message 6 of 21
campolo313
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Let us know what you see with WPA disabled temporarily with RBS turned OFF. 

I'll test out another Reset when I can, I am checking the Signals with WiFi Info View and from what I see, it looks like it's not broadcasting any signals.

Message 7 of 21
campolo313
Apprentice

It seems like the issue might be potentially tied to the same issue in the Reddit Post below:

Why does it keep doing this? The satellites are working but not the main router? It was fine before ...

My Router has been doing the same thing in the App and the timing of the update (6/29/2022) matches when I first noticed the issues.

So I am not sure if there is an issue with the App and it's potentially causing issues with the Router or makes it look like the Router isn't working in both interfaces, just a FYI in case anyone else has this issue.

Message 8 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know what happens after you turn OFF the RBS and set wifi security to NONE. IF nothing connects to the RBR then possible the RBR could be faulty. 

Too early to tell right now with out a reset and trying with out wifi security. 

Message 9 of 21
campolo313
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Let us know what happens after you turn OFF the RBS and set wifi security to NONE. IF nothing connects to the RBR then possible the RBR could be faulty. 

Too early to tell right now with out a reset and trying with out wifi security. 

Given the similar issues with other users, I don't think the RBR is going to be faulty, unless this update happened to brick multiple user's RBR which would be a much larger issue.

I really think this issue with the Router in the App needs to be escalated to Netgear Support, is there a way to do that here?  There are many reviews on both iOS and Android App Stores with the same report.

Message 10 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

So trying to narrow down to make sure the RBR IS working, can you try the suggestion first and lets see if the RBR is working and devices are connecting to it with and with out security enabled. 

Also check the RBRs web page for devices. 

If devices are connecting and being reported as such at the RBR with RBS OFF, then this maybe a Orbi app issue. 

Can post about any Orbi app issues here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

And also use this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/How-to-report-a-bug-on-the-Orbi-App/td-p/2140980/jump-to/f...

Message 11 of 21
campolo313
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So trying to narrow down to make sure the RBR IS working, can you try the suggestion first and lets see if the RBR is working and devices are connecting to it with and with out security enabled. 

Also check the RBRs web page for devices. 

If devices are connecting and being reported as such at the RBR with RBS OFF, then this maybe a Orbi app issue. 

Can post about any Orbi app issues here:

And also use this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/How-to-report-a-bug-on-the-Orbi-App/td-p/2140980/jump-to/f...

I'll report the bug on the App and then look to reset this weekend.  But it does seem like whatever the App is doing, is causing issues with the Routers so hopefully it gets fixed.  From what I'm reading, it's the Auto Update + App Update people that are having the issues.  Hopefully they start giving an option to turn off Auto Update that actually works in the future.

Message 12 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Were told that AU is not being used as much as before. Hoping for more as well.

Yes it was AU that caused the last fiasco back in May. 

The FW v.2 was not the problem. Nor is v.5 in general. 

There have been a few Orbi app FW updates since then as well. I wouldn't put it past there being a Orbi app issue. 

Message 13 of 21
campolo313
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Were told that AU is not being used as much as before. Hoping for more as well.

Yes it was AU that caused the last fiasco back in May. 

The FW v.2 was not the problem. Nor is v.5 in general. 

There have been a few Orbi app FW updates since then as well. I wouldn't put it past there being a Orbi app issue. 

Typically I try to manually update as much as possible from the Router GUI, but one of the recent updates automatically happened to me in the middle of the night before it was available on the site.  Usually the Auto Updates cause major instability for me and I have to reboot the system multiple times.

But it does look like the 6/29 Update is causing people issues, but some are reporting that a Factory Reset fixes what the App shows, so I'll have more information once I can reset.  Oddly, my internet has been perfectly fine, just nothing connected to the Router in the App/GUI.

Message 14 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

You might manually re-load FW as well. Something I do to avoid any auto updates. 

Message 15 of 21
campolo313
Apprentice

Sadly it looks like my router died, the frontend 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz bands never showed up, so those radios probably died.  Hopefully this new Orbi 850 lasts longer.

Message 16 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Wondering if this was a faulty RBR to begin with...

Message 17 of 21
campolo313
Apprentice

Definitely wasn’t a faulty router, I’ve had this RBK753 for two years and the only issue before was the NAT Filter on their firmware at launch.

Plus the issue with the App showing the router being offline continues with my new RBK853, so there definitely is a bug with the App, but devices still connect without issue, just an issue with appearance.

So that App issue was just coincidence on timing, but my guess is somehow the front end radios either went out or an update ended up bricking them.

I’ll be sending in a warranty claim, so I might have other information later.
Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Any Orbi app issues, please post them here:

Id submit a bug report as well in the app. 

Message 19 of 21
campolo313
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Any Orbi app issues, please post them here:

Id submit a bug report as well in the app. 

I did submit the Bug Report in the app with a picture, I can post it in the forum as well.

Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements