Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750/RBS750 Hardwire issue with Firmware Version 4.6.9.11?

ahswp
Apprentice

RBR750/RBS750 Hardwire issue with Firmware Version 4.6.9.11?

I recently upgraded to firmware 4.6.9.11 and noticed a strange new issue. I have a Polycomm desk phone which is hardwired into my orbi. It seems to be losing connection to the internet intermitantly. The lights that show that its connected to the internet keep flashing. This only started recently and the only change I've made was the upgrade. My devices connected via wifi don't seem to be affected. I plan on rolling back my firmware but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions before I did so... or have experienced similar issues. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
ahswp
Apprentice

Re: RBR750/RBS750 Hardwire issue with Firmware Version 4.6.9.11?

I think I found the cause of the problem. I recently made some changes to my onedrive account and , as a result, had about 100 gigs of uploads from my desktop (My desktop is connected via Wifi). During the uploads the Poly phone would have the issues (the phone is hard wired). I've uploaded and downloaded a lot in the past and never had this issue - I have 150/150 fiber internet. 

Wondering if the new firmware made a change affecting the QoS? I've tested this now a bunch of times and it seems to be the issue.

I have not yet downgraded the firmware to confirm that the firmware is the cause, but I am fairly certain that the phone would have quality issues/ loose connectivity ONLY when I was uploading a lot of data from my desktop.

Other routers have QoS settings that prioritize VoiP phones. I do have port forwarding and a port reservation set up on the routers that shows it as a voip phone already.

Thanks in advance.

Message 2 of 5
ahswp
Apprentice

Any suggestions how to fix this? 

Message 3 of 5
ahswp
Apprentice

I recently upgraded to firmware 4.6.9.11 and noticed a strange new issue. I have a Polycom desk phone which is hardwired into my Orbi. It seems to be losing connection to the internet intermittently. The lights that show that it's connected to the internet keep flashing. This only started recently and the only change I've made was the firmware upgrade. My devices connected via wifi don't seem to be affected.

The problem seems to be worse when I made some changes to my onedrive account and, as a result, had about 100 gigs of uploads from my desktop (My desktop is connected via Wifi). During the uploads the Poly phone would have the issues (the phone is hard wired). I've uploaded and downloaded a lot in the past and never had this issue - I have 150/150 fiber internet. 

Wondering if the new firmware made a change affecting the QoS? I've tested this now a bunch of times and it seems to be the issue.

I have not yet downgraded the firmware to confirm that the firmware is the cause, but I am fairly certain that the phone would have quality issues/ loose connectivity ONLY when I was uploading a lot of data from my desktop.

Other routers have QoS settings that prioritize VoiP phones. I do have port forwarding and a port reservation set up on the routers that shows it as a VoIP phone already.

In theory, uploading a lot of data should not impact my phone's call quality... but again, this seems to have just started with the new firmware. 

I know there is another version that just came out but I wanted to check on this before upgrading or downgrading.

Thanks

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Try putting the VoIP phone into the RBRs DMZ and see if problem still continues? 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7